Top 10 Posters

Fabric Hoarders Beware !

Page 5 of 23 (338 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 337 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Trudy,

I'm one of those stashless people. I have a very little and I'm trying to use that up.  And we don't kick anyone out so your stuck with us LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 216
Points 2,055
Pat replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 11:23 AM

I am enjoying this blog so much, Laughing out loud at work - not a good thing.  But I will need to get some tin foil for a hat.  Does anyone have a pattern for that?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 39
Points 665
Susan6189 replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:05 PM

My delimma is how to order more fabric from work.  They all actually think I'm concentrating on my work....ha ha ha.  I'm looking at fabric to buy! 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 116
Points 2,770
Trudy replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:21 PM

I have tried that before and once I open the site, I can't leave...then, inevitably, the executive dean will come to my desk and ask me a question.  I can't move my mouse fast enough to divert from the site...busted again.

Trudy

Downey, CA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 60
Points 1,290
Irene replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:22 PM

Spudgrandma, I'm just realizing that maybe my cousin is not as strange as I have been thinking. She gets fabric as she needs it and does NOT have a stash.  I "almost" became a "Hoarder" of sewing machines (I have 8 machines) but they take up too much room so I called a hault to that little notion. lol Actually I have had three machines given to me. I use the extra machines when I teach a class. I have often said that if I should die anytime soon, my family would take one long look at this sewing room, light a match and run like H--- lol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Pat:

I am enjoying this blog so much, Laughing out loud at work - not a good thing.  But I will need to get some tin foil for a hat.  Does anyone have a pattern for that?

Pat check this out LOL 

Tinfoil Hat!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:31 PM

Susan:

My delimma is how to order more fabric from work.  They all actually think I'm concentrating on my work....ha ha ha.  I'm looking at fabric to buy! 

thousands of bolts.com is a good website...i have used it quite a bit

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Irene,

I don't have room for a lot of fabric and have to store it in diffrent places. If it is not out where you can see it I tend to forget I have it and that is a waste. So I try to buy when I'm ready to make something. I do have some Fat 1/4s and left over chuncks where I bought more than needed, but other than that what I have is for a particular project.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,508
Points 30,675
Diana replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:36 PM

Hi Helen,    Yes, I do the same, 3 yards is my usual order when it's on sale.  Enough to do almost any quilt there is.   I also have tons of fall (autumn as a Brit corrected me), and Christmas fabric.  I love to make round table centers with ruffles that are reversible.  I even make the ruffle reversible when I can and have the right fabrics.  I'm going to start making them of different sizes and maybe try to sell them.  I love doing them and they don't take too long either.  I taught my SIL how to make one when I was up in NY in June.  She fell it love with it and did a great job.  Now she's making them for her daughters and for other Christmas gifts.  I just love fabrics of all kinds, but batiks are not among my favorites.

Diana from East TN. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:41 PM

Diana...Fall is the right way to say it...I'm from Britain and I say all..anyway you will have to post a picture of your table centers when you get the sownloading figured out...you should learn...it's not that hard..Batiks were not my thing but theyare growing on me...there are some amazing ones out there

Ontario, Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:55 PM

Spudgrandma:

Irene,

I don't have room for a lot of fabric and have to store it in diffrent places. If it is not out where you can see it I tend to forget I have it and that is a waste. So I try to buy when I'm ready to make something. I do have some Fat 1/4s and left over chuncks where I bought more than needed, but other than that what I have is for a particular project.

I'm the same as Spud.  Other than some left overs or a few pieces that turned out to be wrong color, scale, etc. I don't have a stash.  Certainly not anything I could make a quilt from.   I buy for each project.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,430
Points 243,422
Thea replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 1:12 PM

I am a fabriholic along with being a quiltoholic - I buy by 3 yard cuts.  I do not like to get less - i find patterns that I like and will go through my stash to make them and invariably you will need a 3 yard cut within the quilt... I have tons of space in my sewing room for storage so that is not a problem.  I don't buy fat quarters anymore unless it is a piece that will look great in an applique.  I save all my scraps - cut them up in specific sizes and have scrap therapy patterns for them - that one of these days I will sit down and sew a bunch up. 

I love to sew quilts and now am getting pretty good at finishing all my quilts so when I make them they get finished.  I may have 3 or 4 or 5 on hangers but I pick a time and quilt them all up - I am starting some difficult quilts that may take me a month to finish - or more - when I made the EB quilts for Toni and Angela they took me 5 months but it was time well spent...

I love having a sewing room with fabric and notions in it that I can just walk in and start anything I want.  It is great for those times when I just am unable to leave my house but I am able to sew or cut some during the day... so I am a stash builder  - that is using up a lot of her stash in lots of quilts and loving it.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 60
Points 1,290
Irene replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 1:21 PM

Hi Spud,

I agree with you that extra fabric can be out of sight and out of mind. I should NOT have as much as I do but allot of it came from when I bought so much from the lady who was selling her mothers sewing supplies. I got it for a dollar a yard. But I have to admit that I'm a fabric-holic. Every now and then I go through all my fabric to see what I have. I have sorted it by type of fabric. eg. cotton, linen, lining, fleece, flannel etc. But the biggest part of my stash is 100% cotton. I have several projects that I want to make up for Chrismas presents. I have some double sided quilted fabric to make tree skirts. I try not to keep too much of the bulky fabrics like fleece and quilted fabric as it's hard to store. And I also have to agree that storage is a BIG PROBLEM. The guild made a queen size quilt to raffle for our local Animal Shelter and most of the fabric came from my stash. It made me feel good that it went to such a worthy cause. Other chapters will send our chapter boxes of fabric that they put in a yard sale and didn't sell so some of mine came from that as well. This week I had a large role of black satin given to me. I will make a gown for my granddaughter.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,430
Points 243,422
Thea replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 1:31 PM

irene, I have mostly 100% cotton but I do have some fleece and flannels and some others to make my grand daughter special dresses as she grows up - like cotton sateen.  I have a large sewing room though plus a spare bedroom that I store it in - I am always going through it to look for a certain fabric...but I enjoy it that way... I have all the thread I need to do any embroidery or to thread paint if I want to - I love it all and love that I don't have to run to the store to start a project...especially if it is 3am and I can't sleep do to pain ... i have my sewing room to take my mind off of it all...

I did make a goal a year ago to use at least something of what I have in every quilt or project that I do this year - to not buy all the fabric for a quilt that I am going to make - and it is working - it is nice to have this ... but if I didn't have the storage for it - I wouldn't do it.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 390

And, that's why I have become addicted to quilting in just 3 short years.  I almost need a bigger closet and sewing room now. Ha Ha.  Love this article.

Karen

Page 5 of 23 (338 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use