Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy Posted: Sun, Jan 2 2011 1:31 PM

No, I'm not talking about shrinkage in terms of the old Jerry Seinfeld episode.

After finally finishing the drunken batik, I laundered it to remove thread bits, chalk markings, pet hair, and spray basting stiffness.

Oh my gosh, it shrank a full 4 inches in width - from 64" to 60" - and as much in length.  I love the crinkly look, but it took my husband by surprise.  He's constructing a wooden rod-type hanger for it (it will be displayed in the stair well between first and second floors).  The rod and backer board will now be much more visible.

I didn't prewash the fabrics because I did not expect batiks to shrink.  Do you think batting shrinks that much?  I used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 blend.  Should batting be prewashed and dried if you don't want shrinkage?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

MNnancy:
I didn't prewash the fabrics because I did not expect batiks to shrink.  Do you think batting shrinks that much?  I used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 blend.  Should batting be prewashed and dried if you don't want shrinkage?

I would not have expected that much shrinkage.  I have been trying to decide whether I should prewash.  As I noted in an earlier post, I hang out with some veteran quilters that are diehard "do not prewash" kind of quilters.  I even mentioned it yesterday when we were on a New Year's day quilt shopping outing.  I made the statement that I was going to start prewashing and you'd think I had said I was going to jump off a building or something.  This little story gives me some evidence for my case.

I do have a question though... I typically use Warm & Natural for my batting and never even thought of prewashing the batting.  How would  batting be prewashed?  Would it hold together, and would you have to iron it when you are done?  What is the procedure to use when prewashing batting?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Sun, Jan 2 2011 4:02 PM

Grandma Sal:

MNnancy:

I would not have expected that much shrinkage.  I have been trying to decide whether I should prewash.  As I noted in an earlier post, I hang out with some veteran quilters that are diehard "do not prewash" kind of quilters.  I even mentioned it yesterday when we were on a New Year's day quilt shopping outing.  I made the statement that I was going to start prewashing and you'd think I had said I was going to jump off a building or something.  This little story gives me some evidence for my case.

I do have a question though... I typically use Warm & Natural for my batting and never even thought of prewashing the batting.  How would  batting be prewashed?  Would it hold together, and would you have to iron it when you are done?  What is the procedure to use when prewashing batting?

I use only warn & natural batting and I prewash it. I think the instructions say soak it. I put it in my bathtub in warm water, no soap, and sort of prairie wash it. I squish it to remove the impurities. Don't wring it though. Once I have must of the water out I put it in the dryer. It's worked well for me everytime.

Deb

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 2 2011 4:14 PM

Nancy

I have alot more problems with batting shrinking than I do fabrics.  Especially the warm and natural brand.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

Debbie:
I use only warn & natural batting and I prewash it.

I'm one of those that buys my W&M by the 40 yd box, and I have never read what it says on the brown paper.  Maybe I should try reading the instructions sometime. Thank you for letting me know what I should be doing.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 2 2011 4:20 PM

Grandma Sal

I am not sure that any of the packaging recommends prewashing but I do know it shrinks pretty bad.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jan 2 2011 9:49 PM

So finally I read the package instructions on the Hobbs.  It clearly states 5% shrinkage.  They recommend using it straight out of the package to achieve that "antique" look after laundering.  If shrinkage isn't desired, then the batting needs to be soaked (but not agitated) and dried.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,835

Just checked the Warm & natural Roll that I have--- it says 3% shrinkage   Optional: Pre-wash , do not agitate or wring...Soak for 20 minutes--rinse several times .

Squeeze out water, do not wring, roll in towel to remove water.  Dry in Dryer or Air dry.

I have my roll mounted on the long arm frame...that would really be a chore to pre-wash it...So I will prob. never pre-wash mine.   I have never had much problem with shrinkage on any on the newer fabrics....I rarely work with batiks..am beginning to do so...so will read the end of the bolt better on those.

Susan.....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Jan 3 2011 1:04 AM

i have  a front loading machine, i put the batt through on the delicate cycle.  i throw it in the dryer and dry it on fluff until it is almost dry and finish it on the bed.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Jan 3 2011 1:04 AM

i am careful taking it out of the washer,  it is pretty stretchy when it is wet    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

I started sewing clothes over 40 years ago.  I have always pre-washed or pre-shrunk in some sort of way.  I remember washing a completed outfit which was "too small" after the washing.  I also remember fabric that "was not the same color" color after washing.  Therefore, I always pre-shrink because I am not into the crinkle look, nor am I into the "dull" fabric look after pre-washing.  Tp me, pre-shrinking is a "rather be safe than sorry" move.

Janet

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Jan 3 2011 3:00 AM

hi janet, and welcome   i agree, i don't like surprises    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jan 3 2011 4:42 AM

I wash mine in cold water on delicate cycle after finished and line dry my quilts have not had any shrinkage problems.I also use Dream Green batting..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 11:06 PM

http://www.sewing.org/learn_to_sew/properly_preparing_fabric_2.html   info on prewashing

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 11:06 AM

I made a Bali batik quilt on the bias for my sister and none of the batik fabrics bled or shrank but one fabric I chose for row ends did bleed and she was horrified thinking she had done something wrong.  I may have to get that quilt back and replace the backing,  fortunatly it was just quilted on the grid not with a meander so it will be simple.  If I do it .... which I doubt .... the more I think about it.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use