Blocks of different sizes...

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 21 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy posted on Sun, Jan 2 2011 8:15 AM

What was I thinking??? Once again I ask my self that question! Grrrr! I was so excited last night - I finally have enough blocks to make a quilt top for my hubby's quilt. I had no plan, no set block size, no brain when I started this quilt! My design wall is full of blocks of different sizes and shapes...How on earth do I put these together to make a quilt top??? My thoughts thus far (after sleeping on it), are to make all the blocks the same size - frames each that is smaller than the largest block (but that will make the quilt HUGE), or using a background fabric to go in-between those to make them work with others of different sizes. But I'm not quite sure how to do that or where to begin. The center and work out? One side?

Oh boy I have really done it now! HELP!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,656 Posts
Points 136,082
Verified by Joy

I have seen sampler quilts with different size blocks and they use filler pieces, just small pieced blocks that join it all together.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Jan 3 2011 10:42 AM

The colors of a rainbow...hmmm...that may be something my brain understands :-) My hubby said I should find a picture of a rainbow and hang it in my quilt studio - good idea!

I have always been a mathematical person...never creative...so when people say you quilt your an artist...my response is usually...yah right. Is patchwork quilting really an art form?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,568 Posts
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Mon, Jan 3 2011 10:49 AM

filler strips sounds like sound advise.. I too have tone of embroidered block of varying sizes that I would like to put together... Ill be watching the answers on this one..

Thanks

Kelley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
102 Posts
Points 1,835

In the gallery.. on page 7  is a tee-shirt quilt  made with different sized blocks....I hope that this visual aid help you.

the blocks could all have filler strips to make them an 8" block..like making a picture frame....use sashing to set them together .

Susan.....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,443 Posts
Points 176,243
Marie replied on Mon, Jan 3 2011 4:54 PM

Joy, good luck with your quilt, can't wait to see the end result.  I think you've gotten some really good feedback and the only thing I'd have to add has already been said----Play with it and when you are happy with how it looks that's the way to go.  I also think random is fun.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 8:34 AM

Those T-shirt quilts look way better than my quilt! Wish I would have looked at those before I started piecing my quilt together. Oh well...hind sight is 20/20. I ran into a problem trying to make all the blocks the same size because the biggest block is 16" - I thought about a pillow case to match or a dirty clothes bag but that's as far as I got - a thought. My goal is to finish piecing the quilt top today and start on the borders - thinking scrappy! We'll see how much fabric I have left:)

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

This thread is very helpful. I'm completing charity quilts with a variety of blocks (I believe made by more than one person) and have run into same problem. Wanted to be sure that others agree the solution is to fill out the smallest blocks to size of the larger ones. that's the only way to avoid losing the points, etc. into the finished seams. thank you for all of the good advice shared here!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,830 Posts
Points 31,845
Roxana replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 4:33 PM

Look at the THRIFTY QUILTER. She has a way of putting the blocks together when they all aren't the same size. I can't find my book right now.

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use