rated by 0 users
This post has 52 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 565
Lydia replied on Mon, Aug 24 2009 9:33 AM

Tammy-

I know how you feel.  I LOVE looking at new machines and trying them out.  I recently bought a Brother QC1000 and absolutely love it!  BabyLock makes Brother and almost all their machines have comparable machines with either company name.  HOWEVER, Brother is almost always cheaper and most dealers who sell BabyLock also sell Brother.  It might be worth checking out.  Also, check with your local quilting/fabric shop.  Many times they have the name of someone who can help you out of jam with your machine without having to take it in to the dealer for servicing.  Good luck and happy looking!

Lydia

Lydia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Tammy:   The last machine I bought was 30 years ago and 4 hours away.   This time I bought a BabyLock Espire from a shop 7 hours away.  Guess maintenance wasn't on my mind.

I like the Espire, I do have trouble with my material getting caught when I begin to sew.  In the winter months I live in Yuma, AZ and there is a BabyLock dealer just three blocks away.  She always gets me going when I have a problem.  Usually self induced!!!

I"m so used to the old machines with their backup lever and being able to sew several stitches back and forth that I find not having a lever frustrates me some.  But I have to tell you that if you tell the computer by pushing the right icons you'll  get a lock stitch or whatever you need.  I'm still learn something new every time I sew on the Espire.

I've mended jeans and made one jean quilt and am working on another.  I think sewing jeans is the biggest  and best test for any machine.  The Espire passes.  I do break needles.  But not if I let the machine do the driving!!

Let me know how to sew that 3 corner tear.  Back and forth and side to side.  See I didn't know it would do that!

Thanks for reading!

Patty Mc

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Snowbird Quilter:
Let me know how to sew that 3 corner tear.  Back and forth and side to side.  See I didn't know it would do that!
  there shouold be a icon that looks like stitches and has an arrow pointing in the direction it sews..left or right...same with the zigzag too..I have the QC for sewing and the QCP on a frame and they have great features and are hardy machines...I have not serviced mine for 2 years but I do clean it regularly and oil it myself too

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 5:35 PM

I am thinking about purchasing the Quilters Choice.

Helen has given it such rave reviews and I then could leave my SE set up for embroidery.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Helen Bell:
there shouold be a icon

Oh Helly:  I need more info!

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 6:15 PM

Tammy

Did you happen to notice what the Quilters Choice was going for or Quilters Professional.

I am thinking of buying one but do I need another Sewing machinE???????????

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Snowbird Quilter:

Helen Bell:
there shouold be a icon

Oh Helly:  I need more info!

it should look something like this

stitch # 68 and 69 are the straight stitch left and right

stitch #70 and 71 are the zigzag stitch  left and right....hopefully you have an icon like one of those on your Espire...yours will be on a screen mine is just on the panel that sits on top of my machine

Hope this helps

Ontario, Canada

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Thanks Helly!!!!!

I found it.  On the Espire it's on Tab 5.  My word tab 5 does all kinds of things.  Even diagonal.  I've got to try those!!!!

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

I'm in the mood to hand out gold stars and I think you deserve one too Snowbird

Ontario, Canada

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Helen Bell:
gold stars

Thanks Helly!  I really need more time on that machine?!

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Snowbird...the best thing you can do is sit at your machine and push buttons and look at your manual..not fun but it does help

Ontario, Canada

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Mon, Sep 7 2009 6:23 PM

Edith--They are around 1200-1500 I believe. I was so taken with the Espire that I lost my concentration!! They could be a tad bit more. With trade in I think it would be a good investment. I haven't decided as of yet. Have harvest to get through first.  Hope I'm not leading you astray on the price.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Helen Bell:

Snowbird...the best thing you can do is sit at your machine and push buttons and look at your manual..not fun but it does help

BabyLock Espire owners:  I always clean my machine between quilts.  I remove all the housing, needle plate, needle,  shuttle and etc.  Vacuum it out, and then use canned air to blow out what I've missed.  That's why I remove the housing so the lent has a place to go -- out!

But when it came time to put it back together, I had a heck of a time.  It wouldn't sew, just ball the thread up on the thread cutter.  Well as Helly said get the book out and READ.

When I put it back together now, I install the housing first, then the needle plate, then the cover that butts next to the needle plate and then the shuttle, bobbin, bobbin cover and last the new needle.  It was my putting the needle plate and the cover on at the same time that was making it not line up correctly and therefore unable to sew.

Also on the BL Espire when you put the needle plate on with the small needle hole designed for straight stitching only, it won't allow you to choose a zig zag stitch of any kind.  So you don't have to worry about not changing the plate to the zig zag plate.

I hope on this forum we can exchange new things we learn about our BabyLock machines.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Lint on Lent!  Also when I put the single hole needle plate on and fasten it down first, I can sew HST without the fabric getting caught in the machine.  I also use bunnie ears to start and stop.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,702
Points 436,420
Nana replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 11:52 AM

Tammy

If you feel comfortable traveling 21/2 hrs for repairs it shouldn't be a problem.  Especially if the machine is "the one" that you really want.  I have heard lots of good things about the Babylock but haven't seriously looked into them because I'm not in the market for new machine right now.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use