rated by 0 users
This post has 84 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

Robin:
we can all trade around our ufo. 

You know what...a few years ago I was in a UFO swap. We all picked a UFO we knew we wouldn't finish posted pics with mini instructions and maybe any problems were having and then picked who we wanted to swap with. For example I have a hand applique project I know I will never finish. The pieces are all cut out and all the fabric is there but I don't like hand applique (don't ask why I started it). That would be the FIRST one I would post.

It really was great fun. I ended up with a great project. Can't remember who received that one but I enjoyed making it.

Cumberland Gap, TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 10:29 AM

Rhonda

I think exchanging UFOs is a great idea.  Especially if the item is a UFO because you really don't like it or don't like the technique needed to finish it.   Kris sent me one of her UFO quilt tops because she decided she really didn't like the colors she used.   I am going to quilt it but unfortunately it has now become my UFO because so many other things got in line before it.....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

Nana:
I think exchanging UFOs is a great idea.

If I thought there was some interest in it I would be glad to organize it. The trick is trying to figure out some sort of system because it never fails there are more than one person who wants the same thing. I am sure with some forethought it could be worked out.

You think there would be anyone else interested? what is the best way to find out? Start a new post?

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 7:30 PM

Rhonda

Yep ....  Just start a new post and see what kind of response you get.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Nana - what happened to the thread that we had going last year where people were giving away things they no longer wanted, etc.?  I can't remember what it was named. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 8:01 PM

Marge

I am having a brain fart and don't remember what it was called either.   But you can now use the Quilters Marketplace for the same thing.   I know that most of the items that have been posted are things for sale but it can also be used for the "pay it forward" style give away that we were doing before.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,038
Points 369,072
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 22 2011 1:32 AM

Nana and Marge,

it is The Great UFO Giveaway

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

Nana:

Rhonda

Yep ....  Just start a new post and see what kind of response you get.

At the risk of sounding completely stupid...what thread would that go in? Fabric Swap in the Group community? Quiltmaking? I don't want anyone getting frustrated because I am putting something in the wrong place...HELP???!!!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,038
Points 369,072
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 22 2011 6:00 AM

Rhonda,

start a thread in the general forum and when you get the details worked out and are ready to start move it to the swap group or the marketplace depending on what you come up with.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

Thanks Kris

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 1,730

I was looking over my stash the other day and was amazed at how old some of my fabric was.  I used to subscribe to a fat quarter club years ago and still have many of those bundles.  I do have a quilt pattern that uses only 6 fat quarters (for a baby or lap size quilt) so I could use up some fabric that way.

I have bunches of aussie fabric that I was stashing for a certain pattern I want to make.  There's about 30 Kaffe Fassett fat quarters I am dying to start on, but I can't decide on a pattern (there's so many!).  And, of course, copious amounts of various Holiday and other themed FQs.

I do need to start working on the older stash, to make room for the new!  I will be looking more diligently for fabric sales, online and in stores.  There's a wonderful website, www.quiltville.com that has tons of patterns for scrap quilts, plus help in organizing your scraps.  I'm going to try to be as thrifty as possible, and reuse and recycle as much fabric as possible.

That should be fun!

Dawn

Dawn

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 75

I think our government has more to do with the inflation than any one knows. And their little remark about us on SSA saying we can buy hamburger if steak is to high. Really ticks me off. I don't know what the answer is to that part of it other than kick them all out and start over. However, I have tons of fabric but said to say most of it is for clothing. I guess if things get to high I will just have to see how it works in quilts. I know my husbands G'ma made pretty quilts out of anything she had on hand. At least the quilt would keep you warm when heating goes up.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 10:13 AM

Lindslou13:
At least the quilt would keep you warm when heating goes up

yep, we will all be looking for trendle sewing machines (some on here have them already)  Wrapped up in a nifty quilts around the wood stove.  Personally I see nothing wrong with that picture.  Life might be simpler.  That would save enough money to keep on QCA membership and enough electric to be on line   LOL

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,841
Points 248,909
Barbara replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 1:52 PM

Granny M , my son talks about that alot  us loosing all electricity..My granddaughter would go into withdraw with out her computer .. It's scary to think this could really happen . I remember my grandmother bringing in coal in buckets to feed the big cast iron  stove she had in the front room to keep the house warm .. I don't think most of the young ones today could deal with that , hope I"m wrong ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 6:34 PM

Barbara:
I don't think most of the young ones today could deal with that , hope I"m wrong ..Barbara

When my DH & I first moved here, we had little money and lots of get up and go.  There were places around us that still did not have water or electric. We first worked our farm with two mules and horse drawn plows and hay cutter and rake.  We had a nice wood and coal stove for years, kept the whole house warm, we had ceiling fans in every room.  Problem was every time it rained the electric would go off.  So I also had kerosene lamps.  I felt like I had stepped into the green acres set.  Of course that was 40 years ago, and yes tractors were more than around, we just couldn't afford, the mules belonged to DH dad so we got to use them. And the equiptment was given to us by other people.   I laughed because people would stop and take pictures of my DH plowing the garden with that dumb mule.  You could hear him hollar at her for 2 miles. 

I think that people do what they have to in any situation.  Certainly I had not grown up with mules and coal stoves, but you know what-it was a lot warmer with the wood stove,  than the heat pump we have now, and if the electric goes off I can't cook on top of a heat pump.  Young people will find thier own ways to survive just as we did.  As for computers, well we have to have enough electric to run those, everyone here on QCA would also have withdrawal symtoms if we couldn't chat with each other.  I may have to put up a windmill.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 50
Page 5 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use