Top 10 Posters

Grandmother's Garden

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 16,150
Judy Lee posted on Fri, Dec 31 2010 6:51 PM

I am working on an antique Grandmother's Garden quilt,  I had to add an entire row to make it a queen size for the own.  I am getting ready to longarm quilt it but I wanted to find out if anyone had done a facing on one of the quilts in place of the traditional binding? The hexagon that were used were 7/8th inch and I did not want to lose and part of them to a binding.  I know that I can not stitch in the ditch because it is all hand pieced using the whip stitch and my needle would probably damage or cut through the old stitches. Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,272 Posts
Points 413,624
gini replied on Sat, Jan 1 2011 1:19 AM

i used to do these quite a bit.  i like them and i think it would be a good choice for your quilt    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 16,150

Hi Gini,

I just finished the last flower on the Grandmother's Garden quilt.  I am connecting them to the main quilt today.  I have a question about a facing, I have read that it may be the best way to bind the edge of this quilt to maintain the '30's feel, but I don't know how to do it, any suggestions?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,696 Posts
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 9:41 AM

Judy

Alot of the original GFGs were edged with a bias strip binding so that you could leave the scallops from the circles instead of filling the edge to make it square.  Does that make any sense to you......not sure that I am explaining it correctly.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,272 Posts
Points 413,624
Answered (Not Verified) gini replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 1:40 PM
Suggested by Vivian

nana, i think what judy is asking, is putting no binding on it.   you turn the back and front under and stitch them together with a blind stitch, so the edge of your quilt is the edge of the block itself    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 16,150

That is correct Gini.  Have you done that type of binding?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,272 Posts
Points 413,624
gini replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 5:47 PM

yes, and it is easy. i trim and fold under as i go, and it goes pretty quickly.  easy peasy.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 160
Wanda replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 6:12 PM

I would love this pattern. or a guid as to how many flowers needed to make a queen size quilt.  I have 2 inch disks.  thanks

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,225 Posts
Points 27,610
Agnes replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 1:38 PM

First reaction is thousands. I can't give you definite answer as I do all my quilts figuring out as I go. Sometimes a quilt size is decided by the amount of a certain fabric at hand. Before committing to a queen quilt I would suggest you either piece or lay out the discs based on the photo for a small section. Measure the area, count the number of discs used and you will have a rough idea. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use