Page 1 of 13 (194 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 193 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,135
Jo Ann Simmons Posted: Fri, Aug 14 2009 7:40 AM

I am probably way behind the times since I have been using my old machines for years, but I recently discovered the joys of a Singer Featherweight.  Of course I had to have one so now I have three old machines.  The Featherweight does the most beautiful straight stitching.  Anyone else have experience with these machines?

Jo Ann 

• | Post Points: 185
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,135

Of course I forgot to mention Mr. Lyle who sells parts and is an expert on these machines.  What a nice man.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 9:53 AM

Hi Jo Ann.  Welcome to QCA if I haven't already said so.  I got my FW about 3 years ago and I love it.  My DH surprised me with it on my b-day so it is very special to me.  I take mine to classes and use it at home when my other machine goes in for a check up.  It really does sew so nicely it's hard to believe that it's 50 years old.  I'll bet not one of these fancy new computerized machines will still be stitiching in 50 years! 

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Jo Ann,

I have never used a Featherweight but people sure do seem to love them, they are awfully cute. I do have a singer treadle but have not used it either, one of these days I'm going to open it up and try it out.

BTW: not sure if I said Hi and welcome; so HI and Welcome!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 10:54 AM

Spudgrandma:
I do have a singer treadle

I would love to have a treadle just for show/decorating.  My grandmother had one, but when she passed my cousin beat me to it.  I was looking on Craigs List last night and saw one for $95 and it looked pretty good in the pic.  But, it's a three hour drive to where it is so guess that one's not possible.  I'll keep looking.  I'd be happy to even find a nice treadle cabinet without the machine since it's just for show.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Sandy, mine has the cabinet and all, it is very nice I've just never got it out and tried it, right now its just sitting in my entry way looking nice LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 11:03 AM

Spudgrandma:
its just sitting in my entry way looking nice LOL

That's what I want.  Something to look nice that maybe I can drape a quilt over one end.  I'd love to see a pic of yours.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 2:11 PM

my Grandmother had a treadle - I do not know what happened to it... because we moved so much in the AF I didn't ask for it when she passed on... my brother probably knows which one of my cousins snapped it up and sold it as an antique... I sound mean and am about them...lol

But I would love to have a featherweight - my FIL has one that my MIL had in their house.  I am hoping one day to talk him out of both the featherweight and the treadle but I will have to talk him into it when neither of my SILs are there...lol  Maybe DH can do it for me. 

If not, someday I will find one and have the extra cash on hand at the time and i will know it is supposed to be mine. 

I have used one and they do sew a straight stitch fantastically.  We had a lady in our guild(she passed from *** cancer) that that is all she would sew on. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,135

Thanks all for the warm welcome.  I am so in love with this FW and highly recommend them.  I also have my grandmother's treadle.  I stripped and redid the cabinet and replaced the belt and refurbished it..  It is what I have been using to begin teaching my grand daughters how to sew.  They are six and we are taking this slow but teaching on the treadle allows them better control right now.

It was great to hear all of your thoughts about the FW and the treadle.  Good luck Althea hope it ends up in your hands.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 2:34 PM

I am not going to bet on that it will - my SIL has her eye on it but I am Pop's favorite...lol But for now is not a problem.  I really applaud you for teaching your Grand daughter.  I would love to be closer to mine.  I do have really fond memories of my Mom teaching me - she made me a perfectionist and taught me the right way to do things... I remember frog stitching seam after seam out because they weren't right... but it did make me a better seamstress ... I learned when I was young and later when i picked sewing back up all those things my Mom taught me were like a 2nd skin. 

I could never understand why someone had  a hard time sewing a straight line - but then I remember all those frog stitches and know that it is hard for beginners - i learned patience through sewing... I always say now that I have AADD because I want to go fast fast fast - but I have slowed way down to make sure it is perfect the first time... I really hate frog stitching.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Aw, FW! My mom mine for me in the 80's. I think she paid $25 for it, but then had the electrical cord and flywheel belt replace. Total it was $90. I, tool, only use mine when I go to a class. It's a whole lot lighter than my Janome! According to the number, it was made the same year I was born - 1948. After my dad died, I gave Mom's FW to Jaci. I'm not sure I remember what year it is, but it's either in the 50's or the 30's. I guess I'll have to have her look at the number so I can figure it out.

As for treadle machines, that's what I learned to sew on, too, a Singer treadle. I have my grandmother's treadle that's a shuttle. I used it one summer when I was staying with them, but I haven't used it since. It looks nice in the entry. :-)

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 3:38 PM

jo ann   welcome,    i have 3 featherweights.   the first one i got, is the one i use.  the other two were such good bargains that my husband urged me to get them,, no need to twist my arm.     one of them came with the fancy little wooden box that opens by unfolding until it is flat.   it contains tons of little gadgets.   the other is a machine made for england and came in a tan and white case.  i also found one of the card tables made for the featherweights, so i have a little table to work on.   i get the other two out occasoinsally and fire them up.  they are wonderful machines to piece on.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Sandy Hicks:

Spudgrandma:
its just sitting in my entry way looking nice LOL

That's what I want.  Something to look nice that maybe I can drape a quilt over one end.  I'd love to see a pic of yours.

I'll try to get one taken in the next day or two Sandy!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 145

CONGRATULATIONS!

The Featherweight was my first sewing machine. My parents bought a used one for my twelfth birthday, from my cousin. I use it most often, though I haven't used all the attachments.

I inherited another one, from my Aunt. And though I also have computerized machines, I feel most comfortable with my Featherweights.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 8:04 PM

Hi Karen.  Just want to say welcome to QCA if I haven't already.  We're getting so many new members I'm having trouble keeping track.  I'm sure you will enjoy the site.

Southwest Florida

Page 1 of 13 (194 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use