Top 10 Posters

I am going to learn to love machine quilting...

Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 56 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,928
Points 233,812
Thea Posted: Thu, Aug 13 2009 7:14 PM

I swear I will - but at the moment - my back is screaming - my arms hate me - my neck says - hahaha - can you say another surgery...

so am on a break - eating chocolate... yummy chocolate...

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Aug 13 2009 7:45 PM

Yeah ... I swore the same thing at the beginning of the summer, but so far has not happened.  I know they say it's not the machine but the operator, but I really need a machine that's a little more "quilting" friendly.  I really, really want to get good at machine quilting, but apparently my machine does not!

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,928
Points 233,812
Thea replied on Thu, Aug 13 2009 7:49 PM

I dont' mind the free motion - my machine actually does fine for that in 3 directions - it is the SID I am disliking at the moment - lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Aug 13 2009 7:50 PM

SID = Boring !!

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,928
Points 233,812
Thea replied on Thu, Aug 13 2009 7:52 PM

and arm wrenching  - trying to get this quilt to move today - argh !  I went out in the garden and pulled weeds and got DH out there to get the rest of the old shingles up so I can have the dumpster picked up- yippeee... arms are warm now...lol  I can't pull weeds for long as I get itchy real bad - then I ran into an ant hill eating the shingles - argh - got the grits - ants will be gone by tomorrow - lol poor ants - i should feel bad but I did warn them about my garden...lol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,928
Points 233,812
Thea replied on Thu, Aug 13 2009 8:58 PM

Echo's quilt is done except the binding and sleeve - onto Reese's... argh!  Can not wait to be done with the SID...lol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Thu, Aug 13 2009 9:09 PM

I like to machine quilt but some day I would like to own a long arm. the cost is standing in my way and the 3 kids in collage Happy

Happy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,928
Points 233,812
Thea replied on Thu, Aug 13 2009 10:04 PM

Happy, I just can't justify spending that much on anything except my house... I am not going into business as  a Long arm quilter so just can't do it... if I was to get a windfall of money then i might - but knowing me I would pay off the mortgage - or buy the kids a house - I can suffere through the SID and do my own machine quilting - it just gets hard on the arms... I may someday set my gracie frame back up and buy a used midarm machine but not sure I want to do that either... I am getting pretty good on my machine and it just doesn't go as fast as i want because it stresses too many of my already stressed muscles.

I got Echo's wall hanging done and about 2/3 's of Reeses... after these i will do rhyme and then my SMs  - nothing spectacular on any of them... I may do some feathers in SMs borders but nothing more then that...

I will be singing the day i put the last stitches in... and grumbling until I do  - but I am stubborn enough that by the end of the weekend all will be done...lol  20 minute breaks during the day till they are done...but tonight the sewing machine is turned off - and my eyes are on the magazines that I got today because of Kris...all your fault Kris...lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 10:22 AM

Althea :
I am getting pretty good on my machine and it just doesn't go as fast as i want

Remember Althea, we quilt because we enjoy it.  Take your time, enjoy the process, it's not a race to see who can finish first.  There should be no stress associated with quilting.  (I know, some parts of the process are more enjoyable than others!)

Southwest Florida

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 435

Althea :

I swear I will - but at the moment - my back is screaming - my arms hate me - my neck says - hahaha - can you say another surgery...

so am on a break - eating chocolate... yummy chocolate...

OK I really want to learn how to machine quilt. But your really scaring me. Is it that bad?

The break with chocolate, though, sounds really nice.

Bridget

wishin' I was stitchin''  instead of in the kitchen

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Sandy Hicks:

SID = Boring !!

Lots of people say this but I guess I'm nuts cause I don't think so.  I like to SID, its kind of like swathing hay or disking a field, you can just relax and think about life while you are accomplishing someting.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,798
Points 352,027
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 12:43 PM

I agree, Spud. I like SID. I also like shadowing.

I'm working on improving my stippling. My loops tend to get bigger after I've been quilting for a while. I enjoy machine quilting but if I had to do the big quilts on my regular machine without the frame I wouldn't do it very often. I like having the mid arm on a frame.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 12:52 PM

Bridget, I enjoy machine quilting. I only do stippling. I have done my own version of cross-hatching with painter's tape as a guide. I hate SID! I bought some DVDs that Thea mentioned, and as soon as I get some practice sandwiches made, I'm going to try to move beyond stippling. Maybe I'll just learn to stipple better. With that being said, I don't do my own quilting on anything larger than a twin-size. Some day maybe, but not now.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,928
Points 233,812
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 1:33 PM

Bridget- it isn't that bad after I get into it  - but I don't do the machine quilting part every day so my physically challenged body says it doesn't like me - I sit a different way at my sewing machine - I have my hands in a square shape - holding both sides of the quilt to gently get it to go the direction I want it to go... I have to make sure the weight of the quilt stays on the back of the chair that is on the other side of my sewing table so that it doesn't weigh on my body.

I do my machine quilting on my domestic machine - and I love it after i get everything stabilized and i can do some free motion - I love drawing pictures on my quilts that come to my mind as I am doing them.  I am not a structure machine quilter - i will see something in my mind and go for it... I mark some blocks if I have an idea and I can't really do it free hand.

the machine quilting I am doing right now is SID straight lines - the backing is minkee which this time is being mean and not sliding real well... what did someone say to use car wax on the top of my table - I might get my pledge and slick it up a little... but these are wall hangings that have pockets in them and I can't do anything but SID... so my back - which on a normal day hates me is really screaming at me... and my arms will be better tomorrow... the muscles that don't normally get used in this way aren't happy but they will ease up more tomorrow and by the time i get done with all 4 = actually 5 quilts I will be okay... I just have a compromised body that what is stress on a muscle to a normal person is 5 times worse on me... 15 minutes of exercises for me is like exercising for 2 + hours.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Kris:

I agree, Spud. I like SID. I also like shadowing.

I'm working on improving my stippling. My loops tend to get bigger after I've been quilting for a while. I enjoy machine quilting but if I had to do the big quilts on my regular machine without the frame I wouldn't do it very often. I like having the mid arm on a frame.

Kris,

I know you have probably said somewhere but what frame and machine do you have?

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use