Page 2 of 7 (93 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 92 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 3:20 PM

Prairie Dog

Thanks! Great info. I didn't know Amazon had these wish lists. Oh-that's super for my DS. Now DH, he doesn't  use the computer at home  LOL.  He says he may try email someday.  I told him when pigs fly.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Megan~

I spend a lot more than DH does on quilting stuff and he doesn't usually say anything.He takes me shopping!!!!  He spoils me rotten though. But it's out in the open and no sneaking. If it's a very expensive thing we would talk about it first. I like to save for the bigger things and appreciate it more when I finally have enough to buy what I was saving for.  

We sort of trade off. If I spend then it's his turn next. If there is something he wants then he can get it. We don't want to lose trust in each other so we know what the other one is doing. We're also connected at the hip and work together all day so it's hard to sneak anything by each other.

And you deserve it, dag nab it!  You can't quilt if you don't have the fabric and it was on sale!

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,689
Points 64,195
Jacy replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:15 PM

Meg, I too have little willpower when facing a great fabric sale. I've learned to stash some cash in my purse for such occasions. Sometimes I put All $5 bills aside in a little pocket in my purse, or get a $5-10 back at the grocery store. Then when I'm tempted by a sale I can shop without such guilt because I "saved" for it and there is no big credit card bill for my husband to raise his eyebrow over.

So start stashing a little cash, you never know when the next great fabric sale will be!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:22 PM

Jacy

I like the way you think.   Great idea.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,750

LOL Jacy, I have been tempted to do that but I felt like I was embezzling funds. Now I am just going to look at is as a surcharge fee for me doing the grocery shopping :)

Thank you everyone for your support, it would be a lot easier for DH if he found a hobby already. He is a self admitted work aholic, so I just have to do double the hobbies to make up for his slacking.

So DH has yet to check the bank account which is amazing, so I am just going to wait he knows I went to the quilt store and CJ (my 3 year old) showed him the fabric that mommy bought to make him his "big boy blanket". I just don't think he realizes that fabric ain't cheap.

Also, I went to Hancocks today with my 3 year old CJ and all I was going to get was some water soluable stabilizer for a fleece project. The moment we walked in CJ forcefully took my hand and drug me over to the fleece and said, "I get dinorsaur today" Luckily I have witnesses, my mom and brother were both there to see my three year old dragging bolts around the store because he didn't want to put them in the cart. He loves to sit in my lap while I am sewing and he puts his hands on top of mine and helps guide the fabric. It is adorable.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,662
Points 136,142
Leslie replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:39 PM

Yeah that's what I always did blame the kids LOL  I'm sure it will be alright Megan, they only stay mad for a little while.  When mine would get mad at me I wouldn't talk to him for a couple of days Man that drove him nuts he couldn't stand it lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 10:41 PM

Megan

Maybe CJ will take up quilting.  That would be really neat.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,277
Points 35,265
Granny M replied on Fri, Dec 31 2010 7:37 AM

gini:
except for the fabric that is hanging out of every drawer, laying on every surface, crambed in the bathtub, covering the windows, in the bread box, behind the woodboxundertherugoverthecouchfillingthegarage

Gini with that much fabric he may not even notice the new stuff.

Granny M

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 370
mamaspike replied on Tue, Jan 18 2011 10:32 PM

Too funny -- I was going to write the same thing -- both about being there and taking care of the checkbook!

My other comment is that I explain that I am actually "saving" us money, because otherwise I'd have to pay full price.  Lame, and not entirely true, I know, but it's my excuse and I'm staying with it!  :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 18 2011 10:47 PM

Mamaspike

Perfect rationale....I have used it often.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 9:05 AM

Megan,

Start working on the quilt right away and when CJ and your DH see how cute it is, maybe he will tell you to buy more! lol

Toledo, OH

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
dmla7263 replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 5:37 PM

I just "inherited" some beautiful fabrics from an aunt who is downsizing and had to get rid of it.  I am in heaven and am just dying to get into all the projects I can get into.  The unfortunate thing is finding the time to do them.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,750

I haven't updated everyone on my purchasing predicament. I am shocked, he said NOTHING, not a single word! Not ONE! And then I almost had a heart attack on Saturday, I went to the quilt show and he gave me extra money so I wouldn't have to spend my money on parking and lunch!!!!! And then, are you ready! I texted him (jokingly) that CJ was drooling over all the dinosaur fabric/kits and was thought that since CJ wanted it I shouldn't have to use my money, he said that made sense and to use the joint account. Oh my goodness, I don't know what is going on but I don't want to jinx it!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,227
Points 70,115
Robin replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 9:07 PM

Megan,

Sounds like you have learned the true magic trick.  Smile right when you need to,  you know the one that reminds above all else you are still that girl he took home to meet mama.   Look at this way your desire to buy beautiful fabrics to make into wonderful quilts of your son and others, feeds his need to work so in all balances out.   Oh yeah use the stock pot once in a while to cook him a meal he'll enjoy and kiss him too.   Then the lqs will be your oyster.

Robin

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 11:53 PM
Lol, Robin. That message is inspiring and it sounds like you are a smart woman w/ a lot of great fabric lol.
Page 2 of 7 (93 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.