rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 330
Kate R. replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 8:07 PM

Dear Joyce

Thanks for your welcome to this group. Would love to hear more about what sort of quilts you are using the reproduction materials for. look forward to further chats.

Kate

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 330
Kate R. replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 8:22 PM

Dear Gini

Thanks for the welcome.

I have heard that Northern Idaho is rather beautiful and I hope one day to take a drive down there to see it.  I am so looking forward to learning so much more about quilting and making new friends in exciting new places.

Kate

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 330
Kate R. replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 8:24 PM

Thanks Kris for the welcome. I like your avatar - I have 4 cats.

Kate

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 330
Kate R. replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 8:29 PM

Hi Helen.

Yes, the cold weather makes it very inviting to stay inside and quilt away. You might be amused to know that when I emigrated almost 4 years ago, I carried in my carry-on luggage my china teapot and a supply of teabags as Northern albertans drink coffee.

Kate

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 330
Kate R. replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:47 PM

Hi Barbara.

Thanks for the welcome.

It was a huge change to come to North Alberta from the subtropics - I had never seen a river frozen in solid chunks before coming to Peace River nor lived in snow.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Kate

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 330
Kate R. replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:49 PM

Hi Marlene.

Glad to see other people who enjoy quilt shopping as well. Living this far North we have 1 quilt shop in town and the next quilt shop is 250+km away so I have learnt to shop online effectively .

Kate

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 330
Kate R. replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:55 PM

Hi Leslie.

Am working on getting photos off the old computer to post to show some of my past quilts, although I have to admit that I'm not sure exactly how to add a photo to the internet - guess I'll learn.

I am learning to adapt to no garden by growing orchids and geraniums and herbs and crotons inside - although the cats chew on my lemongrass and chives so they look a little sick currently. The furnaces running all the time are a challenge because they dehydrate the pots very rapidly so I have to remember to water about every 2 days. sometimes I get a little distracted....

Kate

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 330
Kate R. replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:56 PM

Hello Nana

Thanks for saying hello. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Kate

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 330
Kate R. replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 10:02 PM

Thanks CJ for the warm welcome.

Luckily its rarely that cold - -52C but this time of year often it is -30C+.

New Years Eve we celebrate with a bonfire in our friends paddock/field and it has been regularly -36C+ so far each year. The bonfire is stacked over the year from broken trees on the property and is roughly 10 foot by 10 foot in size but its still very cold even in ski suits.

At least I don't have to worry about my hands sweating on the quilts as I stitch like in summer in Australia.

Kate

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 330
Kate R. replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 10:06 PM

Hi Granny M.

Thanks for your cheery reply.

I have the orchids on a shelf 1 foot away from the windows so they still get light but not the coldness from the glass. The furnaces keep the house inside around 20 degrees C so so far I have not killed them. My half room is overflowing with flannel and 1800s material creeping out the door... I"m sure you understand.

Kate

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,268
Points 35,185
Granny M replied on Fri, Dec 31 2010 7:46 AM

Kate R.:
material creeping out the door... I"m sure you understand.

Of course I understand, Three years ago my stash fit in a bag at the end of the table in my sewing room.  But the stuff multiplies like Tribbles, now the 3rd bedroom is stacked with boxes nicely labled with color, the end of that table is stacked half way up the wall, my scrap bags,(big and little) are completely full.  I am trying to use that down now.  Oh yes I completely understand.

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell replied on Fri, Dec 31 2010 12:54 PM

haha...I totally understand.

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,370
Points 174,993
Marie replied on Fri, Dec 31 2010 3:37 PM

Kate, welcome you are going to love it here, enjoy and let us see some of your projects.

Millbury, MA

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use