Page 4 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 62 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 345
Hildur replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:24 AM

First of all........NEVER be embarassed to admit what you don't know. Every class I go to, every book I read, every video I watch I learn something new. Even if I don't really learn something "new" I may be learning a different method that makes it easier to do or gives me a better end result. I love going to classes. There is such a wealth of knowledge there and not only from the instructor. Often your classmates have some pretty good ideas and suggestions. They give you so much inspiration.

As for cutting when you only need a small piece of fabric, that is entirely up to you (at least in my opinion). I usually only cut out small pieces from one end of the fabric. Then, if I should need a whole strip for something I go ahead and cut off the end that has pieces cut out of it. What I do with the remainder of the chopped up end is cut that into smaller pieces like 5x5 or 3x3 or whatever will fit. I store all those smaller squares in a box and they have made wonderful scrappy tote bags etc. I have a whole box of different size squares. They really come in handy.

Hope this was just a little bit of help to you.

Hildur

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:31 AM

Hildur

Welcome to the site.  I hope you enjoy your time with us.  I would love to hear more about you and your quilting.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 3:28 PM

hi hildur, welcome.     the two little helpers in your avatar are cuties   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 161
Points 5,250
Jerry replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 10:49 PM

I had to laugh. I took a class from Eleanor and while she is a great teacher,  and I learned a lot from her, the fact that she was an elementary school teacher REALLY shines in her classes. I came very close to using my seam ripper on a vein...lol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 10:54 PM

ROFLOL, Jerry

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 10:54 PM

Welcome Hildur, hope you enjoy it here.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:32 PM

Jerry

ROFLOL.  Oh my that sounds drastic.  I don't think seam rippers were intended for that usage...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 345
Hildur replied on Fri, Dec 31 2010 9:05 AM

Those 2 little cuties in my avatar are 2 of my 3 rescue babies. They have quite a sad history but now they are living life to the fullest. Even with the sad history they are the most happy, loving little girls you can imagine. One is 99% blind and the other has severly deformed hind legs but thier disabilities don't stop them.

Jerry, about that seam ripper thing. I am a nurse. Believe me, they are not for veins. When you say Eleanor, I am assuming you mean Eleanor Burns. That is one thing I have never done is taken a class with a really famous quilter. I have taken classes with Nancy Mahoney. She designs quilts and publishes her books through Martingale publishing (That Patchwork Place). She belonged to my quilt guild when I lived in Florida so I had the privledge of knowing her and taking a couple of her classes. The quilt shop I frequented down in Florida sponsored a Ricky Tims and I really wanted to attend but it was scheduled for after my move back to NJ so I did not get to attend. That would have been great.

And talking about NJ. I live in the Blackwood area. Anyone from around the Blackwood area of New Jersey and what good quilt guilds or clubs are in this area? I have been back a year now and have still not been involved with a guild and I miss it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hildur

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,060
Jacy replied on Fri, Dec 31 2010 11:22 AM

Hildur:

what good quilt guilds or clubs are in this area? I have been back a year now and have still not been involved with a guild and I miss it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would ask at  quilt stores in your area.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 50

Diane, I made my first quilt , a picture quilt . I din't have a clue I sewed it by hand and didn't know about measuring.  It took a very long time , but I did'nt mind.

I was so proud , then I went to a class , what a difference so I remade the quilt . ahh much better.  I have trouble following written directions that is why I

order Fons & porters dvds that come with learn to quilt  books...they go step by step . I still have a long way to go but they help me a lot.. Binding is my

problem... Enjoy and experiment  Phyllis Port Orange, Fl

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Tue, Feb 1 2011 11:01 AM

welcome phyllis,  i have trouble with most directions and tend to wing it a lot.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Tue, Feb 1 2011 12:47 PM

Hi, Hildur!  I love your rescue babies!  I rescued my kitty, Sunshine, and she is the light of our lives!  Just out of curiosity, is YOUR name the Nordic name of "Hildur" , or are you a Lord of the Rings fan?  (Great name!  It's a classic!)

Bella

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022

Hi Phyllis, welcome to the club

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 750
Roze replied on Tue, Feb 1 2011 8:41 PM

hi

my first quilt was from lining scraps my then husbnd brought home from a waste site. they were samples still in their packaging.    i have also learned to quilt on my own.  tv,books. friends, etc. are a big (very big) help.   QCA seems as great as all that.  all are here. (tv books. instructions and friends).      try watching QUILTY with MARY FONS, (on QCA), she is doing great for the novice quilter. you may find some interesting things. things you may already know but did not know what it is .                        good luck           ROZE

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 50

Thank you Leslie glad to be aboard

Page 4 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use