Page 1 of 4 (60 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 59 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine Posted: Tue, Dec 21 2010 5:45 PM

I received 11 applique blocks from someone that was cleaning out their mother's quilt stuff that she had inherited.  I received some other things like quilt books, etc. but these blocks she wants me to put together and hold a raffle to raise money for the quilt ministry.  I am just not sure what to do with them.  Even if there were 12 blocks, I'm not sure how to finish them as the individuall have batting and backing with each block.  I'm sure this was probably a more common way of quilting in previous generations but I am a very modern quilter and just don't know where to begin. 

I took a picture of 4 of the blocks so you can see what I am dealing with.  They look like a Hawaiian style of applique.  Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,477
Points 46,525

Jeanine, I am sorry that I have no real idea on how to make a quilt out of these blocks. They are very pretty. Do you know any quilters who have been quilting for a long time? If this is the way they used to do them perhaps you could find someone through your guild or LQS that has experience.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,784
gini replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:27 PM

jeanine these are beautiful.   is just the one quilted?    the work looks exquisite from here.   how big are the blocks?    you can take 5 of them and make a huge nine patch with echo quilting going out into the empty spaces.   you could have two quilts that way. with  one " pillow"   already quilted.    there are a lot of things you could do with them, but it depends on how big they are and how many are already partially quilted, that can limit your options     gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 2,260
Libby replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:29 PM

No suggestions, but they are beautiful blocks!

Libby

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:37 PM

gini:

jeanine these are beautiful.   is just the one quilted?    the work looks exquisite from here.   how big are the blocks?    you can take 5 of them and make a huge nine patch with echo quilting going out into the empty spaces.   you could have two quilts that way. with  one " pillow"   already quilted.    there are a lot of things you could do with them, but it depends on how big they are and how many are already partially quilted, that can limit your options     gini

I think the blocks are about 18" and about half are already quilted.  Some are hand stitched and some machine but the work is amazing.  If I sewed them together as if they were just one layer, I could sash them but then would have to requilt them.  I know there are some "quilt-as-you-go" methods that might apply but I don't know how that works.  But you gave me an idea with the 9-patch suggestion...I could put a solid block between and do a checkboard.  That would use 10 of the 11 and I could then do a matching pillow. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:52 PM

Gini,

These squares look like Hawaiian quilts.  I have a couple that I bought when I went to Hawaii.  Google "The Pillows to Patch Quilt Collection..the Hawaiian Way" by Elizabeth Root.  You may be able to get some ideas.

Cindy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 7:17 PM

Thanks, Cindy.  I actually sent her an email asking her directly for any suggestions.  We'll see what response I get.  I think this would be a wonderful quilt.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

it is quilt as you god style it looks like to me...you can check on youtude or other sites for a quilt as you go and add sashing and borders and it will be finished...not too much work to do actually...I received embrodiered blocks as a donation for our cancer quilts...I added sashing and borders and made a double quilt out of it..we are raffling it off in the spring...good luck with yours Jeanine

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,784
gini replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 7:58 PM

jeanine for quilt as you go on blocks.  you quilt the block to with in a half inch of the edge.  hawaiian quilts are traditionally echo quilted, which is pretty easy.  you trim the batt, and stitch the front seams together.  then you flip the block over and stitch the back seam.    i have one in progress somewhere.  if you want i will try to get pictures describing/showing what  to do.  kris can probably find you a tutorial online.   i didn't like this method, but if most of the block are already quilted it wouldn't be too much work.   what a treasure you have.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:04 PM

Cindy

I agree- they look like Hawaiian quilts to me-that's the first thing I said when I saw them. I have a book on Hawaiian quilts some friends brought me from Hawaii-- OMG it was when I was a beginner quilter and It was WAY over my head.   I can't post anything from it because of copyright but I can friend and do it that way.  Gini Is really good at applique and she is on my friend list so I will check out my book and see if I come up w/ any thing. BBS

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:24 PM

Jeanine

Here's the names of the 2 Hawaiian Quilt books I have- Its Fifteen original block patterns and designs for experienced and beginner (HA)

Name of book:  POAKALANI HAWAIIAN QUILT Cushion Patterns and Designs

I have Vol I and II

Author Poakalani & John Serrao

Accept me as a friend and I can get you some more info.

Thanks Marlene

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:33 PM

Thanks, Marlene.  I saw that author on Amazon.  We are now friends.  Appreciate the help.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:35 PM

Gini - I would love a visual of that technique.  I see the front seam but not how to do the back.  I'm sure it is easier than I am making it out to be.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:37 PM

You tube.  I didn't think of think of that.  I'll check it out.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:37 PM

j

i JUST SENT you a copy of the front cover on email.  LMK what you need from the book. OK! 

Page 1 of 4 (60 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use