Page 5 of 7 (94 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 93 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 378
Points 5,080
Annette replied on Tue, Jan 11 2011 10:47 PM

Unfortunately, most of my stash is packed in bins, so not as easily seen or to go thru.   But, my stash is whatever fabric I have.   Even if the original intent was for something else - if i think it'll work the best for something I want to start on NOW, then I will have to decide to use it or go shopping. 

I gave up fabric shopping for lent once.  About as hard as giving up chocolate!  (I admit I went and looked and touched and ohhed and ahhed, but didn't purchase....at least not until after lent).

Annette

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

That's part of my problem too Annette.  So much of mine is in those big plastic storage containers.  I always surprise myself when I scrounge through them looking for something and find "treasures" that I forgot I had.  I also have the problem of "personal" stash vs. "Project Linus" stash vs. "Tabitha" (ladies mission outreach at church) stash.  Maybe someday I will get it down where is is more manageable --- well, maybe not.  :o} 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Eek!  I just had to decide which answer to choose for the Jan. poll.  I needed on that said "All of the above"!!!

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Linder replied on Tue, Jan 18 2011 5:17 PM

Hmmm.  Stash! 

I consider "STASH"  any fabric that I bought because I loved it and thought it would look great in A quilt.  Not with any exact quilt

in mind.  Also, fabric that I bought for a certain quilt, and when I got it home, I changed my mind.

In other words, if it is not in a quilt, it is STASH!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 4,075
Liz K replied on Tue, Jan 18 2011 5:46 PM

I consider my stash as any fabric I already own.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 310
Kimberly replied on Tue, Jan 18 2011 11:32 PM

I agree with everyone else's description of stash as well.  As for buying for my stash, any fabric that I like that I don't have a project in mind for, goes to my stash.  I must admit, mine's not nearly as organized as Helen's though.  That was definitely a beautiful sewing/quilting studio.  I'm hoping to get mine a little better organized though, as we are in the process of moving to a new house and my new office/quilting room will be a bit larger than the current one. 

Even without my quilting stash, I must admit, that I have a bit of an excuse; It runs in the family.  Not only is my mother a consummate sewer, but my dad is a retired textile designer.  So you can imagine the fabrics!!  :)

Kimberly

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 18 2011 11:55 PM

Kimberly

What a fantastic family to be a part of.   I bet your father has some gorgeous fabrics in his collection.  The textile industry would be an awesome place to work.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 310
Kimberly replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 12:22 AM

He wasn't one to keep a stash, but the mill where he worked would be open a few times a year to the general public, and you could grow browse through all of the fabric.  All of the rolls of cotton, linen, wools, mohair, and silks, in every shade of the rainbow.  Row upon row, in this huge warehouse. You probably know about it, you're not that far away from where it used to be.  Dad worked for Stillwater.  We used to live in Staunton.  My sister and her husband still live there. I grew up there in VA, and definitely miss it!  I miss the four seasons.  While I can't complain about the fact that it was a cloudless sunny day of 75 here in Phoenix today, I definitely miss fall and the cooler weather.  Out here, warm weather just means that summer is getting closer; and it's nothing to celebrate.  We hibernate in summer in Phoenix!  LOL.

Kimberly

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 12:37 AM

Kimberly

I love the Staunton area and lived in Verona at one time.  I like the four seasons as well but wish that winter would get about a month shorter....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 175

Lady Rags,

I agree with everyone else.  If it's mine, it's stash.  I keep my stash in a bookshelf unit sorted by color.  I can look at it all the time.  I figure if I make a quilt from my stash, it's FREE.  I already own the fabric so it costs nothing.

Cheryl Broten

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 4,075
Liz K replied on Thu, Jan 20 2011 11:25 AM

Love your room.  I have pretty much taken over half our downstairs.  I told my DH that after the kids are gone I was going to take up all our down stairs and we could build a small kitchen upstairs.  He said that was fine with him.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 4,075
Liz K replied on Thu, Jan 20 2011 11:31 AM

What I find depressing about my stash is seeing fabric that I have listed on eBay as vintage.  I don't feel vintage but I guess I am.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 1,870
Diane replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 3:28 PM

A stash is when you have so much fabric, you have nowhere to put it.

Doubledee from Tampa Bay

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 160
SILVIAC-2 replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 4:58 PM

According to Ricky Tims a "stash" is all the fabric that you bought for any reason and you "intent to use" at some point during your lifetime, the rest is called "your collection".  That is the fabric you love to touch, look at and admire and return to the closet.  I feel so much better now.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,799
gini replied on Sat, Jan 22 2011 10:49 PM

doubledee and silviac   welcome.    i seem to have a collection with very little stash    gini

gini in north idaho

Page 5 of 7 (94 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use