What CONSTITUE STASH??????

Page 1 of 7 (94 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 93 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 127
Points 5,312
LadyRags Posted: Mon, Dec 20 2010 10:10 PM

Question about WHAT CONSTITUTES A STASH ?

I am asking this because I am in several up coming challenges where you are suppose to use fabric from your stash, so I was wondering what qualify as from your stash?

Is it out of your stash if you bought the fabric specifically for a project? The project you are now working on.

Is it stash fabric if you bought it cause you like it .... but had no idea of what project you would use it for.

Does it count if you bought the fabric for the quilt ... last week... or 6 months / 6 years ago... just never started the project.

I have been wrestling with this problem for a while. The discussion came up in several different quilt groups I belong too. Since I am not sure where I stand I thought I would bring the question here.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 290
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 10:37 PM

Ladyrags

I consider any fabric stash that isn't being used in something I am working on right now.  And it doesn't matter how long ago I bought it.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 10:43 PM

Lady Rags

You are MY type of quilter- I am ROTFL WITH YOU.  Seriously- when I was just beginning to quilt all I hear about was this STASH word and IT has gotten me into MORE TROUBLE than I care to even talk about.  I was just at my FQS today--and NOT To even buy fabric but a specific pattern-but there I was asking a REALLY DUMB question, DID you keep Christmas at 50% off ??  You did- OH, my -- let me just wander MYSelf back there to SEE IF I can FIND anything For my STASH I can't live without.  By the way I need to check myself in to fabrics anonymous also. OMG- What jumped out at ME- Fruitcake they have one Layer Cake Left-- Oh, how could I possibly past that UP?  it 's for stash- I do not know what I will do with IT. I just loved it.  Then I saw some Fruitcake fabric--well I might need some backing right--well I got 4 yards While I am at it--

I left the store and spent $50 - my budget was to spent no more than 10.  Stash-- Are you kidding me-- There are NO RULES.   You can use any fabric you want IMHO.  I don't think anyone is going to come in your house and to a check for past, present or future projects.  Use whatever fabric you want that you have-it's in your house-its your stash! That my opinion for what's it worth.  Projects change and you may move one fabric from one to another --so what-its your fabric and its your stash.

Prices on fabric are supposed to be going up-soon we all may be trading stash! LOL

I don't think I have met you. But I am glad to talk to you. And Happy Holidays!

Happy Quilting!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,458
Points 361,907
Kris replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 11:02 PM

LadyRags,

I think when most people speak of stash they're talking about the fabric that hasn't been designated as part of a specific project. You know, the stuff you have to have just because...

I think it's all stash. Once it paid for it becomes stash. My stash isn't "stashed away" either. I try to make it visible so I can marvel at all the pretty fabric. 

As for you project, I agree with Marlene. No one is going to know where your fabric came from nor how long you had it. Just have fun with it and post pictures when you're done.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 1:49 AM

if it is fabric and in my house, car, or studio, it is stash    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:03 AM

Lady Rags I agree with everyone , once its purchased and out of store ,its stash, I to leave most of mine out so it can talk to me when I'm working on a project, It lets me know what I need to use . weird  huh. but I can't help it ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Well Lady Rags....... Seems like everyone here is in concensis.  Once you bought it, it's stash.  If you haven't cut it up for something else, you can use it wherever your little heart desires. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,835

I had never really thought about this till now..but in my heart,    my stash is all the fabric, buttons, trims that you own.

But I would reclassify my stash to not include fabrics, etc designated for a specific project.....The leftovers from those projects become

stash...I have begun to organize my stash.....fat quarters, half yard, yard cuts, & more into color stack or totes....and my all time favorite is the bits & pieces for a

scrappy quilt .

Susan

Susan.....

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 320
Points 4,485
Ally replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 3:35 PM

I consider my stash all th filled totes that I have to go through just to get through my fabric. Need to find a way to organize, just not enough room to do it or time.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

I'm with Kris....I have all my fabric stash out for me to see...I only buy fabric when it is on sale and I make the quilt out of the stash that I have already purchased..it makes it cheaper than buying it at full price (here in Canada that is like $18 or so) I love my fabric stash and look at it everyday and dream of the next 10 + quilts I want to make....stash is any fabric that you have already purchased even if it was/is for another project...if the project isn't started then you can use the fabric..that is my opinion...cuz if you hold onto fabric you bought to make something someday..it might never get used, whereas if you see something you want to make right now..use the fabric..at least it will get used

Ontario, Canada

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 3,135
Peggy replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 4:44 PM

My stash is  stored on cardboard fabric centers,  I admit I dumpster dive for them.  And I now have a 7 foot long shelve along one wall of my sewing room for my stash.  I reuse each card board center as I finish using the fabric or it moves into  my fat quarter drawers. 

Hope that helps in the organization ideas.

from Minnesota

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 4:45 PM

hi richard, welcome.   i should be more careful   i pulled something out the other day that had holes in it.   it was also the only perfect fabric to use, so what's a girl to do?   hope you enjoy it here with us     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Peggy :

My stash is  stored on cardboard fabric centers,  I admit I dumpster dive for them.  And I now have a 7 foot long shelve along one wall of my sewing room for my stash.  I reuse each card board center as I finish using the fabric or it moves into  my fat quarter drawers. 

Hope that helps in the organization ideas.

Peggy..I have some on cardboard but because I have so much it is folded around the cardboard centre and then I take out the cardboard and put them on my shelves...my sewing room is very organized and all fabric is by colour and folded the same way...i do have batiks and landscape fabrics separate.

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,458
Points 361,907
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 5:50 PM

Richard Levin:

Stash is anything in my fabric collections. However I am careful not to use something from a large piece when a small piece will do.

Hi Richard. This is a great idea. I, like Gini, have pulled fabric out to find I didn't have enough because I'd cut pieces out of it.

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 7 (94 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use