Miscellaneous Tips

Page 10 of 11 (155 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 154 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Susan - great idea for us timid quilters who are terrified of free motion quilting.  This might actually get me out of the ditch! 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 220
CAS48 replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 9:32 PM

I used painter's tape for a guide to make even lines on top of a portion of a quilt.  Re-used it several times.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 1,015
Lisa replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:18 PM

Those clear plastic click top "shoe boxes" at Walmart or Kroger (usually $1 each) are great for storing fat quarters, scraps and notions.

The ones I get are clear, stack two high in my sewing room walk in closet.  So easy to see everything and yet it's all contained and organized.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 875

thank you so much for this idea. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 875

Jerry, I would love to see a bigger pic of your absolutely georgous star quilt you have here.  Where can I find it or could you send it to me.  Thanks a bunch

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 1:42 AM

Just a genreal tip for storage for those of us who are on a tight budget what I do to store my fabric is I buy the storage totes on wheels and 1-2 shoe storage containers depending on your budget.  They are all fairly cheap compared to the chests we see advertised.

Carey

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 230
Joanne replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 6:54 AM

After many years of sewing and trying so many ways to keep thread and matching bobbins together, I finally hit on the perfect solution.  My friends at Ace hardware helped me to find screws to fit in the hole of the spool at a length long enough to hold the thread, the bobbin, and a wing nut!  Now all of my threads are paired with their bobbins, the screws and wing nuts sit on my magnetic holder when I'm using the thread, they never need replacing, and they're relatively cheap!

Joanne

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 8:17 AM

Joanne what a great idea!  You should put this in the tips contest.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 60
sarose48 replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 8:27 AM

Joanne - would love to see a picture of it.  Sounds like a great idea but cannot visualize it and would love to see your idea.  Rosalie

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
mavis replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 12:40 AM

Than ks for the tip.  I use an old 35 mm film canister for needles and pins but had a problem with rotary cutter blades.  You solved that problem

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 116
Points 2,005
Darlene replied on Sun, Aug 7 2011 9:49 AM

Tired of your foot pedal always slipping or havehaving your machine bounce around on the table? Use one or two mouse pads underneath to keep them in place and from moving around.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,115
Gin replied on Mon, Aug 8 2011 2:41 PM

I am a total computer geek.  I used to cut the patterns out of the magazines and then store them.  Then I moved to copying so that I could keep the mazaines intact.  Now I scan the patterns into the computer and save them by the magazine, issue and pattern name.  Usually load them onto flash drives so that I can share them with my MIL and other friends. 

Told you that I was a computer geek. 

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 400
BelleSooty replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 11:40 AM

WHAT A GREAT IDEA! I HAVE A LOT OF EMPTY MEDS BOTTLES AND REGRET JUST THROWING THEM IN THE LANDFILL. I WILL NOW KEEP A BOTTLE [SANS LABELS] BESIDE MY MACHINE. THANK YOU FOR THIS TIP!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,787
Points 12,965

Gin:

I am a total computer geek.

I'm right there with you! Everything I can is copied or scanned to my laptop.

Oregon

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 12:55 PM

Me too and it comes in so many different widths.  I  did use masking tape but it was too sticky and I had to Stick it to my jeans and peel it off a couple of times before I used it on the quilt.  Found it by accident when ran out one day.

Page 10 of 11 (155 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use