Top 10 Posters

Miscellaneous Tips

Page 6 of 11 (155 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 154 Replies | 49 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 545
Pat replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 12:42 PM

I posted 2 tips on the tips page, but they don't appear here on the tips contest page. What did I do wrong? I don't see where to post them right here. Thanks.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 1:21 PM

Pat

Just write a post in this thread like the post you just made only with your tips.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,090
Joy replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 9:23 AM

March e-newsletter tip winner:

This tip is not a direct quilting tip but can help with any quilt tip, fabric/notion purchase etc. (big smiles!)

You can upload an "app" (not sure what else to call it) that will notify you of every quilt shop along any route you are traveling!

When you plug your gps into your computer to update it, you will have a choice of adding "places of interest" - i.e. McDonalds, Shell Gas stations etc. Type in Quilt Shops in the search..and upload to your gps. The next time you anywhere and use your gps, navigate to, places of interest, along route, and then click on quilt shops. I have mine set to advise me anytime I'm within 5 miles of a quilt shop. I have found many I didn't know existed! Especially handy when traveling.

I'm not very good at explaining on here but I hope everyone understands!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,107
Points 110,255

Great Idea to get up that kitty hair. I have the same issue. I went one step further to protect my ironing surface and current project on my machine from our cats. I bought a cheap plastic table cloth and each night just throw it over my ironing/sewing area to protect it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 12:55 PM

We have to do the same in the summer with our patio furniture.  We flop the cushions over the back to keep the cats off of them.  Helps to dry them quicker as well. 

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 545
Pat replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 4:53 PM

Fall Easy Quilts Magazine Tip Winner:

When traveling, I carry an empty dental floss container so I can cut my thread with the little cutter on top of it. I also put broken/bent needles and pins inside of it, to keep them until it's full and I throw it all away. This is especially good for air travel, where restrict or ban scissors. 

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100

I swap UFO's with some dear friends who have similar quilting abilities.  Somehow the fact that it isn't a project for "just me" gives a UFO more priority. Plus, I really want to get her UFO finished before she finishes mine!  My dear friend and I used to trade mending chores to get them done before our children grew out of the mending.  Worked so well we use it for UFO's.  We always give ourselves last priority.  Isn't it a Shame?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 552
Points 11,595
Adele replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 7:59 AM

WOW,I just saw this thread for the first time OMG thank you all for your wonderful tip and tricks, 

Adele 

Grand Junction, CO

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 9:56 AM

I don't know if we give ourselves a lower priority, I tend to stop working on projects if they start to bore me, if I have a more interesting project I want to do, if I fallout of love with the pattern or fabric or if I hit a snag I can't figure out.  Other than that, I usually, eventually finish them.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 135
Teresa replied on Fri, Apr 22 2011 7:07 PM

I recently started sewing some crafty items that I needed buttons for.  I went to the store and found out that if you want some nice buttons, they don't come cheap.  So I decided to check out the thrift stores and especially garage sales.  I realized that if you are shopping for clothing that has great buttons, you don't have to look at sizes or colors of clothing.....just look for things with unique buttons.  The older the clothing, the cheaper the price, but usually the buttons hold up very well.  And if I'm really thrifty I can use the clothing item as a scrappy fabric in a craft item.  It's a win win situation. 

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 135
Teresa replied on Fri, Apr 22 2011 7:14 PM

Hi Pat.....I'm new to this site too, and I think I did the same thing as you did.  I posted my tip on the tips page and someone suggested I should put it on the contest page.  LOL.... Thought I had done that, but I guess not.  Anyway, I went back to the Members Tips Contest page and hit REPLY.  It pulls up the spot for you to post your tips.  Best of luck to us both... :)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 200

I have found that when I do binding using regular spring clothes pins to hold the binding in place is very useful.  They really stay in place and it is easier on my hands to hold while I sew.   My hands and wrists do not have the fatigue they otherwise would have.  I hope that this helps others when they are sewing their bindings.

Barbara in Hawaii

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 8:38 PM

I have lost my tool that closes the safety pins when you are pin basting a quilt. So today after getting tired of poking my finger with the pins, I started to root around in the kitchen drawer and came up with a new tool. I use the Tupperware citrus peeler plastic stick tool. The flat peel end worked great to close the pins.So I have absconded with one of the tupperware tools for my sewing room, and eventually my pin basting tool will show up somewhere or other.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 35
Shelley M replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 8:57 PM

I like to buy quilt kits but the first time it came to taking the identifying stickers off to wash the material I panicked as how I would keep them all straight once washed.  I came up with the idea to take a picture of each piece of material with it's original label still attatched.  Then I washed the material.  Once the material was all washed and ironed I simply referred back to the digital pictures I took that had the stickers on the materials and had no problem keeping the materials straight as to what was to be used where.  It's worked really well for me.

Happy Quilting!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,034
Points 169,708
Marie replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 9:05 PM

Laura, I used a grapefruit spoon so anything goes as long as it works!

Millbury, MA

Page 6 of 11 (155 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use