Top 10 Posters

Miscellaneous Tips

Page 5 of 11 (155 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 154 Replies | 49 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 5

I have longer fingernails and use a leather thimble when hand sewing binding on a quilt.  After using the thimble for a while, my finger seemed to shrink and the thimble would fall off.  I found that I can use a dab of water soluble glue stick on underside of finger and the thimble will stay in place as long I need it there and will come off easily with little residue.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 60
sarose48 replied on Wed, Mar 9 2011 11:20 AM

I found that you can save the empty spool from regular threads, shave off the flange at one end and insert it into a cone thread.  These usually fit beautifully and snug, and allow you to use the cone directly on a regular sewing machine thread holder.  You can save money and not have to purchase a separate cone thread holder.   Give it a try. 

QCA, Rosalie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 85
Pamela replied on Wed, Mar 9 2011 2:19 PM

March e-newsletter tip winner:

I found this really cool way to fill my iron.  I took a Coffee-Mate bottle and took off the out side label.  Than rinsed out the inside and the cap.  Filled it with water and put the cap back on.  It has a spout to pour.  Perfect.  And if you knock it over it does not spill.

Pam Black

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Wed, Mar 9 2011 2:22 PM

welcome deann,   rosalie,   and pam

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 89
Points 1,840

I use my worn out rotary blades to cut paper.  I keep the old blades in the plastic containers that they come in and write 'Used' on the container with a Sharpie.   I have a rotary cutter that I use exclusively for cutting paper so I don't accidently use the wrong one on my fabric.

Dawn P

Dawn

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 89
Points 1,840

If you use spray adhesive and spray starch and keep the cans in your sewing room or in the same location, you might want to tie a strip of scrap fabric around one of the cans to help you tell them apart.  My starch and adhesive cans look so similar and sometimes I just reach for a can without really looking at it.  I came very close to spraying starch on an applique piece the other day.  Well, better that than spraying adhesive on a blouse!

Dawn

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

I usually snip my threads when I am pressing so my ironing board tends to collect thread ends.  I use a refillable lint roller to collect the threads and any tiny little fabric pieces from my ironing board. Just a few swipes of the lint roller and my ironing board is nice and spiffy!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,107
Points 110,295
Linny t replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 11:41 AM

My kitty likes to lay on my ironing board and get it full of fur.  I use freezer paper sheets a lot and have lots of large scraps that I save.  When I turn on my iron,  if my board is furry, I take a larger scrap of freezer paper and iron it to the board.  When i pull it up, all the kitty fuzz comes with it.  Then I'm good to go with a clean ironing surface.

Linny T

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45

My new studio has wall to wall carpeting.  (It's the living room of my apartment!  Yay!)  So I'm doing two things to make the space easier to work in! 

1.  I put a large plastic desk floor mat under my sewing station to let my chair roll easily and

2.  I have a long handled lint roller to pick up loose thread from the mat and surrounding carpet.  This will also work for the snippets of fabric that miss the scrap bag! Now my vacuum cleaner brush won't get tangled up.

And since it is right inside my front door, it will be easier to keep clean!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 11:12 PM

great idea dellis, and welcome     gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20

Since just recently moving to Oregon and being more conscious of "Going Green" I have tried to come up with ways of using normal household items in my quilting.  After creating my binding for the quilt I am currently piecing, I roll the binding on an empty toilet paper roll and slip a piece of ribbon through the roll so I can hang it on the hanger with the quilt until I can send it to be quilted.  That way I have helped the environment and stayed organized.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 11:46 PM

hi tina, welcome. ta's a good idea.    i use toilet paper rolls to hold my bias strips for stems.   i've heard that they are gong to stop using the center tube, so i have been hoarding them.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 10:15 AM

Really? What do they plan to put in place of the paper tube?  I use them for my cords.  Curling iron, blow dryer and anything else that has a cord to contain.  Maybe I'll start hoarding them to, they don't last forever.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50
allsewnup replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 10:50 PM

I store my sewing patterns in the vinyl zippered cases that sheet sets are sold in.  They are just the right height so that your patterns can stand upright.  Organize patterns in separate cases by type, for example, women's men's, home dec, etc.   They can also be used to store fat quarters.  And it keeps the plastic cases out of the landfills!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 510
Points 6,035
Lisa replied on Sun, Mar 20 2011 3:00 PM

When I want to get ahead of my self I will cut5 out my pattern and place all the cut fabric and a copy of the quilt in a 2 gallen ziplock bag this way when I want to sew something for a quick gift or just need a new project I can pull one out of the box. I will plan 1 day when I just cut and store.  

Lisa

Page 5 of 11 (155 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use