rated by 0 users
This post has 154 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 594
Points 24,165
Liz S. (AKA QCA Liz) Posted: Sat, Dec 18 2010 10:58 PM

Greetings creative tipsters!

Tip Contest Update: We have made the Tip Contest even easier! You no longer need to post your tips in this thread to participate in the QCA Tips Contest. Simply post your Tip as a new post in the main tips forum here: Share Your Tips 

We hope this change will make it easier for members to see all the great tips without scrolling though this contest post, but we are keeping it open so you can read the entries already listed here. 

Each month we'll pull winning tips from anywhere in the Tips forum to feature in a QCA video tip or in the e-newsletter. If your tip is selected, you'll win a $10 online gift certificate to the Keepsake Quilting online store!

New Contest Guidelines:

• Any tip posted under Share Your Tips  is up for consideration at any time - you only have to post it once.
  • Winners will have their winning posts flagged in the tips forum.
  • Feel free to include pictures with your tip.
  • NOTE: To issue your winning $10 Keepsake Quilting coupon we will need your first and last name. We will e-mail that request to you when your tip is selected. Be sure to reply so we can send you your prize!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sun, Dec 19 2010 12:01 AM

I subscribe to many quilting magazines.  I love them all but after a few years I soon became overwhelmed with them all.  Parting is such sweet sorrow... Now the patterns or other info I want out of the magazines I just remove and file each separately in a plastic sleeve.  I place the plastic sleeve in a large BINDER  which is now my reference book for patterns and other info from my  quilting  magazines.  This has become a HUGE space saver for me.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,107
Points 110,295
Linny t replied on Thu, Dec 23 2010 12:22 PM

April video tip winner:

I have a "binding necklace"  I took all the salvage edges I've been saving for I don't know what, braided them together, slid on an empty TP roll and tied it together.  I roll the binding on it, put it over my head and I'm good to go.  The binding rolls off easily and evenly because the TP roll turns on the braid.

linny t

Linny T

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Thu, Dec 23 2010 12:51 PM

I bought a small key chain that clips to belt and has a retractable cord.  I clip it to my shirt or sweater and fastened my small scissor to it.  Now when I have to clip a thread the scissors are always right there handy.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,835

When searching for additional fabric for quilts/ projects...I have taken 4x6 swatches of the fabric I have at home and placed  in those little photo page books and added a sticky note of how much of each I have.   Easy to carry in your purse & easy to change out for the future use.

Susan

Susan.....

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 58
Points 2,110
Steph replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 12:59 PM

"Green" Memories.  A few years back, as part of my commitment to recycling, I began wrapping all gifts in fabric prints reflective of the occasion or the personality of the person receiving the gift.  I have used many fabrics, but primarily cottons since they lay nicely, and secure them with ribbon.  My family loves this new "tradition" and simply folds up the fabric and returns it to me for my stash.  Much of the fabric has been reused many times and carries many memories.  So this year, I have cut snippets or quilting pieces from them and have started a quilt to hang on the wall during the holidays so we can share those memories.  And the best part is there's still plenty of the original fabric left to keep wrapping gifts!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 110
CC replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 1:08 PM

Organizing my sewing space for accessible tools, I sewed several sets of shoulder pads together on the curved side and then sewed one side of the top edges to a strip of pretty fabric. I push pinned that to the wall beyond my machine and can easily find small scissors, seam rippers, tape measures etc. Works for me.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 161
Points 5,250
Jerry replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 1:49 PM

Easy Quilts Spring 2011 Tip Contest Winner!

It's nice to have a pin cushion at your design wall so you don't have to run back and forth from your machine to the wall. My design wall is two pieces of insulation board covered with flannel. I didn't have an extra pin cushion so I took a Mr. Clean Eraser from under my sink (clean, of course) and pushed two long pins through the eraser and into my design wall. I now have a really great pin cushion that didn't cost me a penny. Also, my partner uses Clinique soap that comes in a nice plastic box. Not wanting to add to a landfill, I took the empty box, placed a Mr. Clean Eraser inside the bottom of it and now I have a nice cushion at my machine. I can also place the cover on the box and take it with me to guild meetings or workshops and not worry that my pins will scatter in my bag.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 2:26 PM

April video tip winner:

I take old medication bottles and punch a hole in the lid and set it by my sewing machine to put broken and old or bent needles in.  When it is full then I throw it in the trash.  This prevents anyone from getting stuck by a sharp in the trash.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 20
Barbara replied on Thu, Jan 6 2011 9:00 AM

As an avid recycler--and an unapologetic cheapskate--I scour the thrift stores for old quilting magazines (usually ten cents apiece).  I look through them for quilting patterns that I can use to do free motion quilting on my sewing machine.  When I find one I think I can use, I trace it onto stencil material, and from there can use it in many different ways, alone or in combination with other patterns.  An inexpensive way to expand your free-motion quilting ideas.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 255
Debbie replied on Thu, Jan 6 2011 9:35 AM

To keep my sewing room and material smelling fresh I take a dryer sheet (I love Snuggles) and I tie the corner of it to the grill on the front of my fan and when turned on it leaves off a light fresh scent into the room and keeps my material freshly scented too! When used up it is easily removed and add a fresh one. And very inexpensive!

Debbie

Debbie

NEOhio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

Put a smaller cutting mat on top your larger cutting mat so that after you square your fabric you can turn it without disturbing your fabric. There are few things more frustrating than realizin you have moved the fabric. No matter how hard you try you simply cannot line it back up. I usually end up squaring it up again...what a waste!!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
twogems replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 5:13 PM

I roll my binding into a roll and place it in a small plastic shopping bag. Place one handle through the other  and put it over a wrist.  When binding my quilt the biding rolls evenly out without tangles alol neat and tidy

'Elaine

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

When I am cutting my pieces for the quilt top I always cut my binding and press it first thing. I roll it and label it. That way I know I have the fabric for it. Too many times in the past I have been scouring the stores with a quilt in tow trying to find just the right fabric for binding. If I do it early on I know when it comes back from the Long-Armer I have it all cut, pressed and ready to sew on the quilt. No headaches await me!

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 70
Points 960
Suzette replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 8:22 AM

To keep my binding neat while I am sewing it onto the quilt, after pressing it I wrap it around a piece of PVC pipe that is cut a little bit smaller then the widith of a diaper wipe container.  Then I feed the end thru the slot in the container.  I set the container on the floor and pull out what I need as I sew it on.

Suzette Jackson

SUZETTE58

Page 1 of 11 (155 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use