What are you up to today! #2

Page 175 of 256 (3830 items) « First ... < Previous 173 174 175 176 177 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,829 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 11:59 AM | Locked

Kris - maybe you and DH should look into the Carolinas.  Warmer weather and some neat cities and towns.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 4,075
Liz K replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:06 PM | Locked

Jeanine:
My DH and I went to the Amy Grant/Michael W. Smith concert.

Sounds great!  I haven't been to one off their concerts for years.  I remember going to one of MWS in college and AG when she was just becoming big.  I used to go to a lot of concerts including Steve Camp, Larry Norman, Petra (before and after they became big) Ressurection Band (from Jesus movement) and others.  We try to go to a Christian Music festival about 1 1/2 hrs away near Garner, IA with our family each year.  DH and I listen to the Gospel and praise music while DS2, DS3, DD listen to Scremo and Rock style music.  They have three to four bands playing all at once on different stages on a farm out in the country.  Of course I always sneak off for a while to go to Country Threads just about 15 Minute drive away.  Quilting and good music, what could be better?

Liz

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:19 PM | Locked

CC

Glad you are going to have some "fun" company this wknd. : )  I don't have those in-laws any more! VBG- I lost them in my divorce!  I am sure they jumped for joy when that happened. I never did go to bed when his mother told me to! LOL

Kris-  How crummy to be called in when you are feeling so bad.  Feel better soon.  If you can't come to AZ-hopefully you can move where its warmer.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,169
Points 15,130
Dawn replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:31 PM | Locked

watching some old F&P videos and saw one that should be great to do and use up smaller pieces of batting and fabric!  It is series 900 and called Peek-a-Boo.  I remember seeing it before and thought it would be great to make. 

Other than that, enjoying our "warmer" weather, it's 37 here.  They are talking 63 by Thurs!  WoooHoo!  Gotta love that!  Just hope we don't get anymore of that snow stuff till November!  I think that is why I have a headache, the weather seems to effect me that way, not that I don't like the warmer temps!  Just the system moving in, I guess.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 4,075
Liz K replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:35 PM | Locked

mars92:
I can so relate, CC.  I don't blame you for being mad at her, but don't be so hard on yourself.

mars92:
Every day I would come home- it was another thing she did, I cleaned your sewing machine drawers, they were a mess and found 5 pennies. I would just thank her because after all she was my MIL.  Everyone at work would say what did she do today!!

mars92:
I really didn't think you were being petty-it was your gift and as you said you always shared it with everyone anyway. I doubt it if she would have liked it if you would have donated "her gift of Valentine flowers" to the church or nursing home because they "needed them more" than she did.

I can relate to problems with MIL.  Sometimes you just have to laugh about it or smile and bite your tongue.  I spent 18 years of our marriage bitting my tongue.  Every time we went to visit IL I would work harder there than when I was at home.  When my DH brother got married we came a couple of days early to help out.  My MIL was so busy getting things ready and working on the farm that she did not have time to get her house cleaned.  I spent over 6 hours cleaning including washing her very large kitchen floor on my hands and knees because she did not own a mop (she thought the floor got cleaner if you did it on your knees) all while watching our two kids under 3 yrs old.  She never even said "thank you".  My FIL used to come in the house and order me to clean, do laundry or cook - never asked me.  I decided that being their slave all the time was wrong so I used to bring my hand quilting with me and to that so they would not order me around all the time.  Then I was called lazy at the kitchen table in front of my kids and DH.  

The accusations got so bad that when my husband was in the hospital during a bone marrow transplant they took all their anger about DH having cancer out on me.  I had to call them one day to tell them to come and talk with their son before he got so bad that he could not longer speak.  He had a lung infection and the Drs told me he could die very quickly.  I called and talked to my MIL and when I told her what was going on she told me that I ruined his life.  I never said a word.  They came the next day and I tried to be nice but both MIL & FIL were mean to me - I did not respond.  My DH did get better but I did not tell him what happened until months later.  

After FIL died I thought things would get better but MIL just got worse.  After 18 yrs I finally defended myself and she threw a fit.  Got the rest of the family to be on her side (DH is oldest of 9 kids).  It got so bad that when our DD who had many problems od on Tylenol MIL and BIL3 screamed at me in front of DD and a friend of mine in DD hospital room.  She got the rest of the family involved and tried to turn us into social services to abusing our children which we NEVER did.  DD has problems for years and we tried to get her help but she would have none of it - she needed to get to a point where she could see she needed help.  Finally happed after od and two days in a juvenile facility.

I think of everything that has gone on in our family and others - too many horror stories, but I am grateful that I do not live in a society where MIL can get DH to put their wifes out on the street or have them killed on a whim.  There are always those who are worse off than I am.  MIL has softened some.  Prayer helps but hurt feelings are still there.  Hang in there and hide away and quilt when MIL from hell are around.  Fabric is a friend when things are going bad and we are here to dump on.  I know from experience that keeping quite is usually better than responding. :0}

Liz

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 2:16 PM | Locked

As Richard pointed out, we really should be grateful to these people for producing the wonderful person we married.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 3:43 PM | Locked

Yes and isn't it amazing how well they can turn out in spite of some negative influences?? If DH had been anything like his sister, I would have run away screaming on our first date.  AS far as first hubby, I am still good friends with his siblings and several nieces.  His mother told me after our divorce that "He's not the man you married."  He weas in a near fatal car accident shortly after we were married (almost died on Christmas) and his personality started changing after that.  After the divorce, it took me 14 years to find Dave but it was worth the wait. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,050
Points 385,642
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 5:29 PM | Locked

Marge (AKA Dimples):

Kris - maybe you and DH should look into the Carolinas.  Warmer weather and some neat cities and towns.

Marge,

I look at NC a lot. I was stationed at Fort Bragg for three years and loved it. We took a holiday in south Carolina once. DH is more open to either of these. Now we need a plan and some funds. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,050
Points 385,642
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 5:30 PM | Locked

chocake2:
Poor Kris. That hospital sounds like it has some real moral problems, and you keep getting swept up in them. I wish I could make it better for you.

Thanks Chocake.

You don't know the half of it. I try to stay out of their way. I don't always love where I work but I love what I do so it makes it easier some days.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,050
Points 385,642
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 5:33 PM | Locked

Dawn:
I think that is why I have a headache, the weather seems to effect me that way, not that I don't like the warmer temps!  Just the system moving in, I guess

I have the same problem Dawn. Yesterday we hit 40 today our high was 23 and it's very windy. My body is affected by the changes in the atmospheric pressure. I'm aching all over.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 5:41 PM | Locked

In truth, My DH is the best of the bunch. His mom, well, you already know all about her. She's a dream compaired to his sister.  Sadly, MiL and I were great friends and truely enjoyed each other's company for the better part of 12 years ...and then SiL moved back home. She poisoned the relationship in just a few weeks and it has never recovered. Where MiL is self-focused and judgemental, SiL is spiteful and MEAN. She seems to delight in playing nice while being nasty. It's interesting to me how often I hear her described as "Beautiful" and "Charming" but never once has anyone gushed over her warmth. 

So...enough of that.

Today i cleaned the house. I'm tired of looking at the clutter. The whole house has the winter blaws. I sacked up stacks of old magazines to go to the nursing home (the ladies love looking at the quilts, even if they don't make them), hauled papers to the recycle center and thinned down all of those misc toys that seem to sprout everywhere when you have young children. Everything seems cheerier now. 

My friend sent me the last 3 years worth of Quilting Arts Magazine. YAY! I love the tutorials in it, but I rarely ever buy it --too expensive. Now all I have to do is find time to read...

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,273
Points 35,215
Granny M replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:01 PM | Locked

Kris I hope you start feeling better soon. You have been sick all winter.

CC:  Sounds like you have been busy, makes me feel like a slacker.  I need to dust and steam clean my carpet and I keep putting it off.  Going to have to buckle down soon.

However today I just did general cleaning and worked on my string quilt.  Three more sides of the border and I can bind it . then on to the next project. Weather is finally starting to warm, we may hit 60 by Thursday.  Talk about wanting to get out of the house then.  Have plans to visit a new quilt shop on Friday. So I had better getting busy the rest of the week.  Also have two quilt shows coming up in March and April so much to look forward to.

Granny M

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 480
Marilyn Rosario VanWagenen replied on Wed, Feb 16 2011 5:42 AM | Locked

Marge:  You sound like you have been very busy!  Are these project that you've had laying around and are just getting to them now?  If so, I can sympathize with you, I have plenty of experience with that.  I just bought fabric to start a baby quilt for Mason Alexander and that one I know I will finish in about two days, because I will need it for my niece's sprinkle.

I am also excited about the fact that my daughter is paying me a surprise visit this week from N.C. for a long weekend.  They a coming us for a friend's wedding and they will be staying w/ me.  I'm running around like a chickent without a head trying to get this house in order before their visit.  I'll enjoy this weekend!!  :o)

Have a great day!

Marilyn V.

Matty160

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 480
Marilyn Rosario VanWagenen replied on Wed, Feb 16 2011 5:51 AM | Locked

Kris: I hope that you feel better real soon.  But in regards to moral issues in Hospitals, I think that it is a requirement in all hospitals.  I worked in a hospital and I can't tell you the stories and issues that people involved me in, even when I was just minding my own business.  There were horrible rumors, stories, drama, you name it, we had it.  People can be so vicious and petty it is ridiculous.  So you hang in there, and do not let anyone ruffle your feathers.  You are to good for them!!!

Fell Well and have a good day!!

Marilyn V.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Wed, Feb 16 2011 7:52 AM | Locked

Granny M - sounds like you are starting on your Spring cleaning.  I am thinking about that too.  With DH gone all day on Weds. and Fri during tax season, I can get some things done without having him under foot.  Last year, I washed the walls in the bedrooms and baths.  "This year it's the kitchen, dining and living rooms turn.  Of course, today I HAVE to go to the quilt shop.  They are having double points on your blue card for purchases, plus 10 fat quarters for $10 (might need some to round out what I got from Richard).  I also need to get that last border cut from Jeanne so I can finish her Humane Society quilt. 

I got the extra outline quilting done on that Christmas wall hanging.  When I originally started it, I was a real newbie and only outlined the blocks on the panel.  What I did yesterday does have some "blips" in it so don't look TOO CLOSE at the outline quilting.  Last night I sewed some glittery holly leaf and star buttons on it where they were printed on the panel.  Also sewed a couple of candy cane and a gingerbread man on it.  Today when I am out, I hope I can find what I have in my tiny mind to finish it up so I can post a finished UFO.  Yea!!!! 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 175 of 256 (3830 items) « First ... < Previous 173 174 175 176 177 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.