Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today? #2

Page 167 of 173 (2582 items) « First ... < Previous 165 166 167 168 169 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,581 Replies | 42 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 12:17 AM | Locked

I have been working some on the community scrap quilt.  Frustrating.  One of the women cutting fabric didn't care if she was accurate.  Another sewed with a fat 1/4 inch.  And some of the fabric is so cheep, you can see though it and it is flimsy and thin.  I think I will make another scrap quilt, using the same pattern, so they can see the difference when it is done accurately with good fabric. 

Fabrics can vary so much.  Even if it looks similar.  I remember working in a garment factory for a while.  First we made these red coats for an expensive store.  Then we made something very similar, for a discount store.  Both coats were red.  But the discount coats used a cheaper fabric and dye.  While sewing the corners of the pockets, the dye would rub off.  A lot.  So when it was all sewn, they had to have someone color in the corners that had lost some color with red felt pens.  Hope no one wore those coats with a white dress!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 7:55 AM | Locked

Patti--When working on a group project, you will always have people who have different "standards" than you.  If you want to make another quilt, go ahead but the people who sew an cut like that probably will not change.  Also, be careful about hurting the feelings of others on such  a project.  I have found that I often do not work on group projects because it bothers me with poor sewing/cutting.  There are many other opportunities for me to make "charity" quilts and I am in control (perhaps that is the key word for me-control!) of the outcome.  We all have a level of what we consider "acceptable"--in the same quilt it can range from "close enough is good enough" to "I'll get this to match even if it takes all day!"

Pat

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 8:14 AM | Locked

I can't wait to get all of life's other work accomplished today so I can continue quilting my radiant star quilt! If only I were rich and had staff to complete all of life's other tasks!

I have a few concerns and thought I'd share them here because you guys are the best! As I was quilting yesterday I noticed that the white marking pen I used is barely noticeable now in one of the inner borders. And the quilters pounce (new stuff that's not supposed to come off), is coming off. I don't want to spend another 6 or 7 hours stenciling...is there a shortcut? Oh please tell me there is!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,354
Points 174,688
Marie replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 9:55 AM | Locked

Joy, I think with these methods you need to mark a section at a time and not the whole quilt.  I hope someone else comes up with something better than that for you, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767
Joyce Brenden replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 11:22 AM | Locked

Jeanine--

Another beauty.  You are just amazing!  BTW--I think the "goof" adds interest to the pattern.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 11:29 AM | Locked

Jeanine --- goof, what goof???  You planned it that way to add interest to your design.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 3:06 PM | Locked

Marge (AKA Dimples):

Jeanine --- goof, what goof???  You planned it that way to add interest to your design.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah...that's what I meant!  LOL

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,579
Points 118,650
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 4:51 PM | Locked

I'm working on a queen size Bargello quilt. Rather ambitious for me and I've struggled mightily with the pattern and fabric choices. I've got it the top assembled  except for the final borders. Lots of fabric to handle and the teeny little square centers don't match real great. I grumbled about it, engaged in a pity party but then my 17 year old granddaughter stopped by. She saw the quilt and went ballistic, begging me to give it to her for a graduation present. Just proves, love conquers all, even sloppy piecing.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 4:57 PM | Locked

Well, well, well.  you know we will need to see a photo of this much desired quilt?  Grandchildren are never wrong, if she thinks its great, it must be.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,579
Points 118,650
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 5:27 PM | Locked

Vivian :

Well, well, well.  you know we will need to see a photo of this much desired quilt?  Grandchildren are never wrong, if she thinks its great, it must be.

Oh, my stars!!! I spread it out on the floor and took a photo of one section. Inserted it into this message and then, thank goodness, looked closely at the photo. The Bargello squares on one side are in upside down! Too late to fix as I've already put on two borders. I had so much trouble with arranging those complex squares and had to redo several times. I'm just sick. It is along the side and not in the middle but...... Oh Crum Bum!!  I'm going to go cuddle with my dog. She loves me no matter what.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 5:30 PM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:
I'm just sick.
Judy, if it took looking at a picture online for it to be seen then I would not worry about it, no one else will notice I am sure.  You can just say that was the pattern

Paris, Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,579
Points 118,650
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 5:37 PM | Locked

Marilyn B:

Judy T-Bellingham:
I'm just sick.
Judy, if it took looking at a picture online for it to be seen then I would not worry about it, no one else will notice I am sure.  You can just say that was the pattern

OK, right. I like that. So here's the photo with the interesting pattern goof. 20 brownie points if you can spot it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429
Diane Morgan replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 5:53 PM | Locked

Judy~Only b/c you are making us scrutinize the quilt would we ever see anything. This is absolutely beautiful. It's a very busy design so not a thing sticks out or screams a mistake. No body will even see it. Give this to your grand daughter with all your love and she will treasure this for always.

North of Boston MA

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 50
pepsi replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 6:03 PM | Locked

i love that quilt I am still trying to figure out the block. Wonderful  work and use of color and no I have not even touched fabric today OH MY Pepsi 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,579
Points 118,650
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 6:15 PM | Locked

pepsi:

i love that quilt I am still trying to figure out the block. Wonderful  work and use of color and no I have not even touched fabric today OH MY Pepsi 

Pepsi. Even looking at the pattern in the book Bargello Quilts with a Twist, it's very difficult to see the blocks. I had an awful time figuring out the directions. Once I did, it's actually a fun block to put together and there are endless ways of laying them out for various patterns. Suggestion: don't try it without a design wall. Especially if you do as I did and construct the blocks "on point". That really threw me for a loop just trying to understand what that meant!

Page 167 of 173 (2582 items) « First ... < Previous 165 166 167 168 169 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use