Need help with a quilt request from my son

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 225
Laura Hunt posted on Sat, Dec 4 2010 1:43 AM

Here's a good one for all you creative ladies/and gents...

My son is graduating in the spring from high school, and I promised him I'd make him whatever style/color quilt he wanted as his present.  Here's what he wants:

A queen size quilt that looks like a super-nova, which is an exploding star.  Very bright, explosion in the center that fades out to black space.  I showed him lone star patterns, etc., but they are all too symetrical for him.  He wants it to actually look like it's exploding!

I did a search on google, and actually found a pattern called Super-nova, but it's not what he's looking for - too perfectly symetrical.

To make matters worse, I'm a semi-new quilter, only been quilting for 2/1/2 years or so, and only completed 5 quilts.  I machine quilt, and have a Grace GMQ frame with a Brother PQ1500 machine, and I piece on a Pfaff 7570. 

Have I bitten off more than I can chew???  Any brilliant suggestions for me, anyone??

Any help appreciated.  I've got to have it finished by Mid-May.

The Quiet Quilter - Laura

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,879
gini replied on Sun, Dec 5 2010 8:23 PM

laura,   it shouldn't be as hard as you think,    have your son  rough sketch out  what he's thinking.  

your idea on a lone star could be quite cool too.   let me see if i can find some graph paper online that is in a diamond shape for you to color out a pattern      gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,879
gini replied on Sun, Dec 5 2010 8:27 PM

http://www.printfreegraphpaper.com/

choose the iso metric graph and you can print this out to use for coloring a design   you can choose different sizes       gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,879
gini replied on Sun, Dec 5 2010 8:28 PM

linda, the isometric design is an equilateral triangle.   two of them together  make the lone star diamond   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 225

Thank you Gini for the link to the graph paper, and thanks Nana for the encouragement.  I CAN do this, and all of you have been helpful..

I'll keep you all posted with what I come up with, and then maybe you can help me figure out how to accomplish it!

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use