Top 10 Posters

First Sewing Machine

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 53 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 235
Maggie posted on Fri, Dec 3 2010 9:59 AM

Hey all!

I'm a new quilter, who caught the bug from my VERY talented grandmother who's my idol. For the past few months I've been doing everything by hand as I don't have a sewing machine yet. But my very generous parents have offered to buy me one for Christmas! I'm a college student, so it really helps. I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions on good machines, or at least specific features I should look for. Our budget is from about $200-300. Also, does anyone suggest looking for machines on Ebay? Has anyone had good luck? bad luck? Depends on the seller I guess.

Thanks in advance for all your help, I love this message board already!

Maggie

• | Post Points: 170

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
811 Posts
Points 12,464

Granny M. I think shopping around is a good idea. Wish I could do that. My DH is disabled and I can't or don't want to leave him for too many hours. I think other than this dealer  my only other choice would be in OK. To far to go.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195

Joan L.:
my only other choice would be in OK. To far to go.

Understandable,  but don't you hate it when you don't have choices?      Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
811 Posts
Points 12,464

Granny M. I hear you. Don't even get me started about the lack of places to buy fabric.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195

Joan L.:
Don't even get me started about the lack of places to buy fabric.

Thank goodness for on-line shopping.            Granny M

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
3,771 Posts
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 8:53 PM

Granny M

You know I still want a Featherweight I can take to quilting classes becauses its so light.  I suppose I am dreaming because they're a basic machine and they're still pricey I think for what you get.

Don't worry if you ever get to visit me you can always use my other machine! See that's why I need two, for visitors!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I have several Janome machines from a $99 Heavy Duty refurbished one I got on eBay to the Janome 1600P quilt machine and several in between.   I bought my mom a Janome Gem Platnum and she loves it.  I have two Janome Gem's (a Gold and just the Gem) as well and have used them for years for simple quilting and ease of taking with you (about 12 lbs.).

Here is one I found on ebay.  I have bought several machines on ebay and I usually try to be sure it is is from a sewing machine/vacuum dealer.  This one is.  (Where was this one when I was looking for my mom's?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Janome-Jem-Gold-660-Mechanical-Sewing-Machine-/280612748176?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item4155d2bb90

But I'm not at all biased...  LOL

Not Ranked
Female
25 Posts
Points 525

Please listen to this lady, she speaks the gospel truth. Once you have your machine, you going to need something, like fabric, needles, thread, advice, so don't go for broke, you got time.

Not Ranked
Female
25 Posts
Points 525

Personally, I have 5 machines, as I learn I want more, If I had bought a Bernina I would have been stuck. Each machine has different features and more stitches as you learn and grow you need to have variety and new tools, Bernina should bring their price down. You looking at a grand just to get started. I may have saw something around $650. For a grand I paid for all my machines and may some change. Last machine has 300 stitches and was bought brand new with at least 6 presser feet and is electronic.

Not Ranked
Female
25 Posts
Points 525

This must be your best friend in the world, I hope she knows you really care about her, to trust her with your machine, usually sewing machines can't be replaced at the original price, they are going up, up, up.

Page 4 of 4 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use