Newbie from Beaumont, Tx

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 145
oceanreef79 Posted: Fri, Dec 3 2010 7:23 AM

Hello Ladies, my name is Michelle and I'm a newbie in this sewing world !, I just bought me a sewing machine, Singer Simple, and i made 2 quilts so far, one for my daughter and one for my son. I like to piece them together, but... here is my question, how can i quilt it on my sewing machine?, do i need something special to quilt it?, what kind of pattern would be easy for me?, is there any tutorial around here?, thanks in advance.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,249
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 7:32 AM

Welcome Michelle.  Won't be long before you get the answer to your questions.  The gals here are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 325

Hello Michelle!  

How are things in Beaumont this morning?  Welcome to sewing and can I say how proud I am for you that you are already exploring your sewing skills and have made TWO quilts already!  

I am sort of "new" at machine quilting too.  I have done something called "Free motion" quilting.  If your machine came with a "darning foot" this is done rather simply.  go to your book and it should show you how to attach your darning foot.  Then i just wiggled around and made what appeared to be antlers.  If you have a walking foot (you might have to buy one at your dealer) you can do straight lines.   

here is a nice video...  http://www.monkeysee.com/play/10924-how-to-machine-quilt  really basic stuff...   she is just using a small block to show, but if you are doing a big quilt you have to bunch it up and maneuver it around.  A lot of ladies here have far more experience than I do, so we'll let them field for a while.

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 8:53 AM

Michelle

Welcome to QCA and to the world of quilting.  You will be addicted in no time.....to both.  There are lots of videos on QNNtv that will help with the quilting phase.   I know there is at least one video with Ricky Tims that is excellent.   There is also Quilt It ..the Longarm Quilting Show.....although this is a longarm segment there is lots of good information that can be transfered to using on your regular sewing machine.   The hardest part is learning how to move the bulk of the quilt through the machine.   Just fluff and stuff and roll your quilt sandwich and take a good deep breathe ...then relax and have fun.   I personally prefer free motion quilting.   This is done with the darning foot and the feed dogs down.   You can just start making swirls or vines or anything that comes to mind.

I hope this helps at least a little.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660

Hi Michelle and welcome to QCA! We're glad you're here. It's wonderful that you've already made two quilts and are eager to learn more. I agree that you should check out the long-arm quilting show and see what tips you can get from that. I enjoy free-motion quilting but it does take some practice, but that's fun as well:)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,272
Points 413,654
gini replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:16 AM

welcome michelle.    if you can drop your feed dogs, you should be able to quilt with it.   some machines are more touchy than others.   make a quilt sandwich out of some scraps, or make some place mats to practice on      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:23 AM

Hey Michelle welcome to the club. One newbie to quilting to another, You're gonna love it. Everyone hereis very helpful so never hesitate to ask a question.Matter of fact I just posted one myself. Only problem with this site .....ITS ADDICTING....LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:40 AM

Hello and Welcome, Michelle,

I have a couple of books on machine quilting.  I find "Learn to Machine Quilt" by Pat Sloan very helpful.  Its not one of those huge volumes that get a little over whelming.  The best advice is just do it...take a day and just have fun.  Remember quilting is supposed to be fun.

Cindy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 11:40 AM

Michelle

If for some reason your machine won't allow you to drop the feed dogs you can cover them with a piece of cardboard like a business card taped over them.  This keeps the feed dogs from moving the fabric so that you can control the movement.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957
Leslie replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:32 PM

Welcome Michelle.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 11:18 PM

Hi Michelle!

The first couple of quilts that I made I did mostly stitch in the ditch with the walking foot.  I think that's a very good place to start for a beginner!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,381
Points 360,847
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 4 2010 12:42 AM

Welcome Michelle.

WTG on having two quilt under your belt already. The ladies here are filled with great information. Happy quilting.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 145

Thank you all for such a warmth welcome, i think I'm going to try stitch  in the ditch, i heard that is one of the most common techniques , i will look around here if there is any tutorial.. Im also trying to learn how to saw clothes, i sew 2 dresses for my daughter and 2 pj's for my son, they don't look as bad as i thought for a first timer like me. I hope you gals have a nice weekend and thanks again.

Michelle.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use