Top 10 Posters

Suggestions for QCA Poll and Survey Questions?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 64 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
594 Posts
Points 24,165
Liz S. (AKA QCA Liz) posted on Tue, Nov 30 2010 10:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I am looking for good suggestions for our members newsetter survey question and our monthly online poll.

If you have any questions that you would like me to ask the community (humorous/serious/just curious or otherwise...) let me know.

PLEASE NOTE: I am only asking for suggestions for survey questions here. To participate in the survey contests please visit the QCA Community Blog and post your answers there.

Thanks a bunch!

QCA Liz S.

• | Post Points: 275

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 10:18 PM

LIz

I would like to know how many quilter's have started a project and part the way thru have decided they were crazy to even have considered it.  Like me with Dear Jane...that is one quilt that will never be completed.  I have decided to make a wallhanging out of the blocks that I have done but Jane was insane....LOL.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
3,771 Posts
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 11:50 PM

Liz,

I would like to ask other quilters...

What's some advice that you can give beginning quilters to save them from some of the "mistakes" or things you wish you had done differently when you started quilting.

For example:  When I started quilting --I took a beginning quilting class at a local quilt shop, and they told us you had to built your "STASH".  They made this sound like if you didn't have a "Stash" you were DOOMED. You were supposed to just buy the fabric that you liked and buy it for your "stash" and keep builting up that "stash". I had NO idea what I was going to do with this Stash or the fabric I was buying at that time as I just barely learned to use a rotary cutter, so I had NO business even buying STASH! But there I was buying a 1/4 yard of fabric because that's the cut we used for log cabin for our quilts in beginner class.  OMG, do you all know how many 1/4 yard cuts I have NOW! LOL

As Nana said, this was insane....until I had enough knowledge to know about "stash" and patterns, colors, fabrics-- quantities needed, etc- I shouldn't have been trying to buy any stash.- My advice for a beginner--don't start building a stash--buy for the quilt you're making at that moment only--until you have some experience.  Save your money--trust me-if you're going to be a quilter you're going to need it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,981 Posts
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 1 2010 2:38 AM

I want to know: Have you ever told a friend you liked a quilt she made even when you thought it was ugly?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,077

Oh Kris, thats a good one.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
605 Posts
Points 12,675

Oh Kris, 

Great one.  Can we just start with that?  I worked at JoAnn for nine years and some of the quilts I saw go through there were not fit for dog beds. (no offense woofies).  But I just smiled and lied.  And piles of bolts I had to cut that were picked out for a quilt based only on price, was really sad and frequent. 

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 325

How about:

Do you have a designated sewing room? or sewing space?  I have to use my kitchen table or a corner of the living room, it would be nice to know I am not alone.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
216 Posts
Points 2,055
Pat replied on Wed, Dec 1 2010 9:45 AM

Another question might be how many quilts have you started only to leave it part way accomplished to start another,  And how long did it take you to get back to the first quilt.  Not that I have every done this - just kidding.  Would love to see how many others share my dilema.

Pat

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,654 Posts
Points 82,429

Why do we continually buy MORE of everything when our sewing areas are already overflowing with fabric, thread, needles, accesories, patterns, etc? And how do you stop???????

North of Boston MA

Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 1,720
Donna replied on Wed, Dec 1 2010 11:36 AM

How about how many people have someone else do the quilitng on the top's they have pieced.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 247,949

WOW,everyone these are great suggestions,I can't think of a single one right now boo hoo, >I think about it more...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,552 Posts
Points 47,805

Kris:

I want to know: Have you ever told a friend you liked a quilt she made even when you thought it was ugly?

ROFLOL! Do you really want all of us to admit we are liars? How does one tell a friend her quilt is ugly if you want to keep her as a friend.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 12:58 PM

Pat Lancaster:

Kris:

ROFLOL! Do you really want all of us to admit we are liars? How does one tell a friend her quilt is ugly if you want to keep her as a friend.

Maybe instead of telling her you "like" it you could say something like ....  That is a very interesting design.  You have done a great job.   That compliments her work without  being a liar.  You never actually said you liked it.....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,511 Posts
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 1:36 PM

ok, guys,   i'm going to get all smarmy here.  i truly have never seen an ugly quilt.  i've seen quilts that were poorly constructed. and i've seen quilts that i would have made different fabric choices,  but then they would be my quilt and not the artist's that created it.    i like to get behind the artist's eye and see what she is seeing.   

i learned this is a class i took years ago from nancy lee chong.    there were two older ( probably younger than i am now, what does that make me?)    women in the class.  they were picking out truly hideous fabrics and colors to go together, and they were like two kids in a candy shop every week oohing and ahing over each others quilts,  and everyone elses.    they really  could not see what everyone else saw in their quilts.    nancy chong was won der ful.

i need to back up,    the construction on these quilts was absolutely awful.  . they wouldn't have held up in a gentle breeze and i don't know how they made it back and forth  to class each week.     nancy tried and tried to help them with construction to no avail, but she never once critisized any of their choices of colors or fabric, except  to advise on placement.   the sheer glee those two women had in their quilts was so fun to watch, and it made me realize that there really aren't any ugly quilts.  

i used to go to quilt shows with a co-worker.  if she didn't like something, she would come right out and critique the quilt   in front of everybody, with no reguard as to whether the owner was there or not, she didn't care.   not only was she rude and embarrassing, her opinions were pretty narrow minded.   as if only the quilts she liked could be good enough.    

just think of the process,      thinking about a pattern,  the time spent choosing fabric,     cutting the fabric and reassembling it.   quilting your creation.  there is a considerable amount of time, critical thinking,  and skill at all levels of quilting.   how can any of this lead to an ugly quilt?     i love them all.......    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 247,949
Suggested by Rhonda Laws

Gini, those are all very good points and I will remember them. SOmetimes we forget about the work that went into a quilt and just see the surface beauty, and forget about the love...I'll remember it from now on...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 5 (65 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use