quilting a border

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 1,725
Donna posted on Sat, Nov 27 2010 1:35 PM

I have a quilt that has a 3in border.  The rest of the quilt is quitled on average i inch apart.  What size should I make the border quilting design?  2 inches wide - keeping with what I call the 'white space' on the rest of the quilt?  Or 2.5 inches wide or the full 3 inches wide and get the 1 inch 'white space' between the pattern of the stitch - whatever it is going to be.

Which is another part of the question.  This is a witch quilt (huge witch stirring cauldron of 'toil, toil, boil and bubble". The border is a material that has multi colored spider webs.  What DESIGN would be good for this to not hide the spider webs - but maybe keep in the theme of halloween.  Any ideas?

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 1,725
Donna replied on Sun, Nov 28 2010 2:47 PM

yes, I understand that part - it is just basic math.  I guess my queston was more along an aethetic line.  IF your border is a finished 3 inches wide - regardless of length  - what is a good width of the design?  the full three inches or 2.5 or 2?  Just generically, hypotheically - is there any rule of thumb?   Kind of like when you echo around a design people usually do 1/4 inch.  I realize you can do whatever your heart desires - but at the moment my heart doesn't have a clue - so if I had some direction to steer it in - it might find what it is looking for.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,272 Posts
Points 413,669
gini replied on Sun, Nov 28 2010 2:50 PM

donna, i start with the minimum i think i can go with.   you can always add quilting if there isn't enough.     so if you make your diamonds and you think they are too small, just add another a quarter inch around the first diamond.     or an alternating diamond or a flower in a diamond.     it's the same if the quilting isn't heavy enough for the quilt.  you can always think of a way to add more quilting     

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,272 Posts
Points 413,669
gini replied on Sun, Nov 28 2010 2:51 PM

you can also do a scale drawing that will give you an idea of what it will look like.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 16,150

Hi Donna,

There is a rule of thumb for your border....always leave at least 1/2 inch of your border for your binding.  The design you choose should not go out that far to the edge or you lose parts of your design ( being cut off by the binding or being bound over) . As an LAQ,  I like to actually leave an inch of play on the outside edge of my border so that my design will be complete even if the border waves a little bit.  I hope this helps.

JudyLee

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 1,725
Donna replied on Sun, Nov 28 2010 6:38 PM

These have all been very good ideas and suggestions.  Thanks to everyone.

JudyLee - YES that was exactly what I was looking for - a reason and an amount. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 16,150

Hi Donna,

Glad to be of help. 

Judylee

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 105

Not sure if this will work with your fabric, but would you want to quilt on the webs themselves to make them stand out (and show up on the back of the quilt)?

Also, one quilting teacher proposed a radical idea -- sew the binding to the top of the quilt before quilting it. Haven't tried that, and not sure if I'd like it (or would prefer to go through all 3 layers with the binding), but it's got me thinking...

Wendy

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use