Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541
Snowbird Quilter Posted: Fri, Aug 7 2009 10:32 AM

If you are going to sew on a large curve, keeping your eye in front of the needle by about a ½ inch you go around more evenly.  The machine just seems to feed the material. Then trim that sewn edge with pinking shears.  When you turn the piece inside out the edge will press down almost knife flat.  

I just learned this in a class!  I heard a number of gals say that their Grandma's taught them to always look in front of the needle not at it!  I suppose Mom said that but heck I was a teenager and smarter than she -- wasn't I?

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Great tip, thanks for sharing.

Its like don't look at the cup when you are walking if you look at the liquid in the cup you will spill, don't know why it works but it does. This is the same principal and I have a hard time not looking at the needle, need to keep reminding myself.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 11:16 AM

Snowbird,

Your advice made me remember a sewing show I used to watch when I was much younger. The host was a man who sang while he sewed:

sew, sew, sew a seam,

sew it nice and straight,

never watch the needle

or you'll get a crooked seam.

This is to the tune of Row, your boat.

I don't recall the name of the show or the person. I'll have to do some research now.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Snowbird--

You're so right.  I never even thought about it before, but it sure does work.  Thanks

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 12:28 PM

Snowbird, thank you for the advice... sounds sound to me - cute little poem Kris... I can hear it in my head now - I will hearing it all day - sew sew sew a seam - sew it nice and straignt...the headache is screaming...lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Great tip, Snowbird! I hadn't heard it. I hope I kept my pinking shears when I was reorganizing. I may have given them to Jaci. No, surely I kept them; they're in a drawer, I think, rather than on the pegboard.

Since we saying what this reminds us of (sorry; really bad sentence structure!), I was taught when driving and going around a curve to not look directly over the hood of the car but ahead by several yards and you'll make the curve easier, and it works, especially if you're on a really windy road like the Pigtails in the Black Hills!

Gillette, WY

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511

Same thing applies to mountain biking.  Don't look at the front wheel, look out in front of you or you could miss a turn and whack a tree!!  Or run off a cliff!! 

Southwest Florida

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Sandy Hicks:

Same thing applies to mountain biking.  Don't look at the front wheel, look out in front of you or you could miss a turn and whack a tree!!  Or run off a cliff!! 

Well, I'm going to have to ride at the back of the pack, then, because I don't want anyone looking ahead and seeing me on a bicycle seat from behind! Actually, I don't want them seeing me from in front, either! ;)

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 4:51 PM

Judy, you're hilarious. LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 7:18 PM

same with skiing, if i look a ways down the hill, i turn much better.  if i'm watching my ski tips, i crash.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 10:12 PM

so what you are all saying is look ahead - not right where you are - but ahead... think i get that... hope I don't fall down going down the stairs or up the stairs...lol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Sat, Aug 8 2009 1:49 AM

maybe you'ld best keep your hand on the handrail.   just in case.   gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use