Suz

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 0
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,445
Points 24,075
Debbie replied on Sun, May 26 2013 9:20 AM

just started to post this question when I see a link off to my right.  Yep, I'm a sucker - I bought some of those just last week.  Are the red binder clips better or what do ya'll use?  I'm a novice at the quilting aspect of quilts and need lots of guidance.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,520

I like the Clover red clips better than the "repurposed" hair clips.  I found that the hair clips stretched the fabric and the Clover clips hold things in place.  I use the red ones for turning bindings all the time.  I also use them when I have bulky things to sew at the machine, when attaching binding to curves, and when sewing pieces cut from strip sets together.  I guess if you have had good success with the hair clips, stick with them because the Clover clips aren't cheap, but I did my comparison when I was given the hair clips after already having the Clover clips...

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 15,645
weezee56 replied on Mon, May 27 2013 8:07 PM

stitcheraz:
I like the Clover red clips

I also bought the Clover red clips, I love mine for the bindings. Before I would use regular pins, I always got a few good pokes before the bindiing was done. With the Clover cilps no more pokes and then really stay in place. I never tried the hair clip type.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 15,645
weezee56 replied on Mon, May 27 2013 8:08 PM

I really like the Clover red clips, they work really good for me.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I really like the red clips, they are expensive but for me they are wonderful. I have diminished feeling in my fingers and toes from the Chemo and with the pins I was pricking myself and then bleeding all over I can also manipulate the red clips better than the pins or the other clips. They are expensive but they are awesome!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 342
Points 6,740
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, May 29 2013 5:49 PM

Spudgrandma:

I really like the red clips, they are expensive but for me they are wonderful. I have diminished feeling in my fingers and toes from the Chemo and with the pins I was pricking myself and then bleeding all over I can also manipulate the red clips better than the pins or the other clips. They are expensive but they are awesome!

The clover red clips are wonderful.....I guess thats why they call them Wonder Clips!! They work really good, I love them so much more than the barrette type clip ...they don't slip off.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,497
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Wed, May 29 2013 7:13 PM

I've been using the repurposed hair clips for years and love them.  They just work for me.  Everyone has their own ideas and what they get used to. 

Diana in East Tn.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Wed, May 29 2013 7:23 PM

I always use the hair clips. Why spend good money for something that you can get so cheap? Quilting is expensive enough, and I have to cut corners where ever I can. Espeically now that Jim is letting me go to the retreat.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, May 29 2013 10:34 PM

A friend at quilt guild said she has started using small binder clips from office supply stores.  Here's an Amazon ad for 144 clips for $9.  

Officemate Binder Clips @ Amazon

My friend's were even smaller and all silver.  I think she said she got a box of 100 at Target for about $3.00, but I haven't found that online yet.   

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

tnmtgrl:
.I guess thats why they call them Wonder Clips!!

I guess so :) It is nice to meet you Jen, I know you have been around for awhile but I don't believe I've ever said Hi!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 11:44 AM

I have been using the hair clips.   I did try the red clips that someone had at a sewing for hospice day.  For me I saw no difference in how they held the binding.  So I will stick with the cheaper hair clips so I can by more fabric.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 7:56 PM

I tried the binder clips over the weekend and love how they work.  I had some from a previous project that are about an inch wide.  Could probably use smaller ones with the same outcome.   I found them to be easy to place and they didn't get in the way at all.   I will be hunting up a package of the smaller ones to go into my quilting supplies.   I know they won't spring out of shape like repurposed hair clips will.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 342
Points 6,740
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 8:39 PM

Spudgrandma:

tnmtgrl:
.I guess thats why they call them Wonder Clips!!

I guess so :) It is nice to meet you Jen, I know you have been around for awhile but I don't believe I've ever said Hi!

Spudgrandma, Thanks!! Nice to meet you too.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,673
Points 65,760
Bonita replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:57 PM

I've always used the hair clips and they work just fine. But I bought 10 of the Wonder clips on sale and love them, I just finished binding a quilt for DGD's teacher. Nana one of your MQs. She loved it.

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use