Binding Clips

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 Posted: Thu, Nov 18 2010 12:00 AM

Someone mentioned seeing someone using hairclips to hold their binding as they sewed it--  and  thought that was a great idea which of course it is.

They do actually make binding clips--but the laugh is on me because when I bought them for the first time, I thought, what in the world, these look like my barrettes for my hair!! And I think I could buy barrettes a lot cheaper! I found the binding clips at Joann's

Here's a pic of a binding clip !

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 12:27 AM

Marlene

Yep....they are exactly the same as hair clips and hair clips are alot cheaper....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 1:15 AM

Marlene, I know you didn't mean it that way ,but this is really funny, I had seen the binding clips but never paid that much attention to them. May try it instead of all that pinning.  Hair clips lol thats great.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 1:34 AM

Nana and Barbara

You are both SO RIGHT!  They are JUST LIKE my Hair Clips !! (I call them barrettes) You know when I was first beginning to quilt.---- I thought if it SAID BINDING CLIPS, well by golly I HAD to have that or I couldn't do my binding.  When i opened them I was AMAZED and looked at them and said WHAT WHAT these look like my BARettes, (hairclips) I could have use them!!!  LOL  Seriously, I was MAD! Making me buy binding clips when I already had them in my bathroom! 

Once I couldn't find a barette to hold my hair back (I have long hair) so I go get a binding clip and use it! HAHAHAHAHA    Now everytime I look at my EXpensive binding clips I get mad! LOL

Live and learn! ::)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 1:40 AM

Marlene, I think i'd have been mad to ,they probably are charging a fortune for the binding clips and you can buy the hairclips for a dollar at any dollar tree. so I'm happy you brought it up. Already have the hair clips LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 3:33 AM

ROFLOL, those retailers know we quilters are weak, when it come to quilting notions.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 5:51 AM

Nana, Barb and Mars

Isn't it amazing how creative we are, after the fact.  I thought I needed clips to roll the quilt for quilting.  Shop wanted more than I could afford that day. I got to looking and thought, these are that same type of clips used to hold pantlegs together so they don't get caught in the chain of a bike.  Bet you can guess what I am using. Also I have a nut picker I use for a stilletto.  Don't use that much. Never thought of hair clips, but have never used binding clips either, will have to try. I'll just bet there are more of these tips out there.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 9:09 AM

Leslie

Weak, me??  I 'm like melted butter..... I should have taken those binding clips BACK to Joann's and SAID CUSE ME, these are NOTHIN but HAIR Clips Repackaged that I can get at the Dollar store by the droves for a $1 and you're charging me $3-4 a pkg.  Oh, NO, I was a Novice quilter and I shouldn't have even been in the quilter's notions aisle ALONE! LOL  I bet the blue lights came on when I was there. HAAHAHA

I think of those days and shudder what I would pick up! LOL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 9:28 AM

I first saw the binding clips at a quilt class.  I recognized right away that they were nothing but cheep hair clips and got mine from the local discount store.  The ladies at quilt class were using them to clip the entire length of their binding, which is what I did at first.  Now all I need is two or three for my entire binding.  I have tons of these things and have found lots of uses for them aside from clipping my hair back. 

Cindy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 8:10 AM

Cindy

You are way smarter than me :)  I sure needed you when those dumb things jumped out at me and said---oh you MUST have me otherwise your bindings will fall off b4 sewing

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Another dummy here. I have a good sized bin of binding clips which I do use. I bought them as binding clips so of course paid top dollar for them. I never thought of the dollar store!

In looking for my Santa Swap presents I bought some needles. Have you noticed that Quilting needles cost more than all the other type of needles? Quilting is popular so anything with "q" in it costs more.

North of Boston MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Sun, Nov 21 2010 6:54 AM

Diane

Somewhere I heard that the microtex needles can be used for quilting, the trick is to make sure the thread fills 3/4 of the needle eye.  I have to admit I have been to chicken to try this.  Partly because I hate threading needle by hand.  Greatest invention in sewing machine-needle threaders.

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 21 2010 7:39 AM

Granny

I use microtex needles all the time.  They are a really good needle.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Sun, Nov 21 2010 9:31 PM

Paper clips do the same job and they are also inexpensive.

Jutta, CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 21 2010 10:54 PM

Jutta

Where have you been lady.  Hope all is well in your life.  Missed you around here.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use