Top 10 Posters

Eagle Foundation Pattern: Instructions right or wrong?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 120
funnybroad posted on Mon, Nov 15 2010 2:54 PM

Hello quilters! 

I'm making a Quilt of Valor, and I need a little help with an eagle!

In the book "Go Wild with Quilts Fourteen North American Birds and Animals", the piecing order instructions on page 81 are as follows:

I printed out the major sections on 3 separate pieces of paper.

The part I don't understand is this one:

Step I. (8-14) + (15-20)

The piecing order tells you to sew (8-14) together, and then (15-20) together.  All of these pieces are illustrated as being in the same "major section" (which I'm assuming also means the "same piece of paper").   

So how can you piece (8-14) and (15-20) together, when they're all in the same "major section" and they've already all been sewn to the same foundation paper per the instructions?

I wrote to Martingale (the publisher), and they sent the instructions below, but I still don't understand how you're supposed to get (8-14) and (15-20) sewn together when they're already sewn to same piece of paper.

Or am I crazy?

Here's what Martingale said:

For example, for the chart's center "major block", the instructions are laid out numerically on the left in the second grouping , labeled D through J.  Margaret has you first putting together 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12, which she shows as 8 + 9 + 10, etc.  Then you put the section composed of 8 through 12 together with piece 13 shown as (8-12) + 13.  To this, which is now (8-13), you sew on piece 14, shown as (8-13) + 14.  At this point you lay the assembled pieces 8 through 14 aside and beginning with piece 15, add one at a time pieces 16, 17, 18, and 19.  Once this second set of pieces is put together, you add piece 20 to your second group--shown as (15-19) + 20.  Once you come this far, you can now sew the two sets together, which is what she means when she says, (8-14) + (15-20).  Since piece 21 goes over the top of pieces from both sets, that is why it doesn't go on until you've sewn all the pieces 8 through 20 into one piece.  Once you've sewn piece 21 onto that group, you are done with the center major section, which is what is shown in the chart.  If it would help, you could take a red pen and draw a line around 8 through 14 in the chart and around 15 through 20, then around 21 separately.  This would clearly show the three smaller sections that go together to make up the center "major block".

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 3:26 PM

Funny broad

In your picture you show three paper pieced sections...1-8,  9-21, and 22-26.   Paper piece your segments and then sew the three segments together.   I agree the instructions are confusing.   But if you do your segments in the order marked and then piece them together you will be fine.   Please post a pic here when you finish.   I would love to see it.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 120

Assume:  this major section all gets sewn to a single piece of paper:

The instructions tell you to first piece 8-14 (here, that would be going from left to right, starting at 8 and ending with 14)

Then it tells you to piece 15-20 (here, that would be going from right to left, starting at 15 and ending with 20)

You're on the same piece of paper, so how do you get the yellow section sewn to the pink section?

Am I not supposed to be trying to piece the yellow section and the pink section on the same piece of paper?   The illustration that splits the entire block out into 3 sections perhaps should have split the middle section out into three:  (8-14), (15-20) & 21.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 4:02 PM

If the whole section will fit on one piece of paper there is no reason that you can't paper piece the whole section and then sew the other sections to it.   As long as you lay your pieces on the paper in the order they are number it will be fine.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 120

If it's all on one piece of paper, and you stitch the pieces together in order, then you find yourself in the middle of the paper trying to figure out how to get the two middle pieces sewn together.

Am I making sense?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 4:14 PM

DUH.....LOL.  I didn't notice that the numbers went in opposite directions.   You will need to cut this piece of paper into 3 sections.   Make sure you allow 1/4 in seam allowances on all the pieces that you cut apart.  Once they are paper pieced you can sew the three segments together.  Good luck.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 120

EXACTLY!  Would you say that these instructions are wrong?  I would.  Here's what they tell you to do... in this order:

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195

These instruction are clear as mud. But I agree with Nana   Good Luck

Granny M

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 70

The directions are correct, but confusing. There should be 3 sections for that center section, section one would be 8 - 14, section 2 would be 15 - 20 . sew these two sections seperately, adding seam allowances to the edges that will be sewn together after you have pieced them. Section 3 is piece number 20 that is sewn on after the other two pieces have been joined.  I learned this from Carol Doaks books and video on paper piecing. She marks these sections with double hash marks so that you know to add seam allowances and that they are added together after each section is sewn. I hope I explained it clearly enough. Good luck, Val

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 120

There are no double hash marks in her illustration to indicate that the center section should be 3 separate sections.

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 70

I don't know who wrote the directions, but she seems to assume that you would know to cut them apart.  I just re-read my answer and I should have said the last piece is #21. The way you colored it is how you would cut the pattern apart, but add seam allowances where they join back together.

Do you understand what Nana and I said about making this section in 3 pieces and then joining them? I hope it's clear to you. Good luck and let us know how you're doing with it. I bet it will be wonderful.

Val

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use