"Airline Friendly" Hand Work Project

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 65
The Gaertegang Posted: Mon, Nov 15 2010 2:12 PM

My Husband and I are getting ready to take off on vacation and I wanted to take a wool project to work on while we have lay overs and during our time in the air. My question is will they let me take a sewing needle on the aircraft for hand sewing projects? I have a thread cutter I can take so eliminate the need for scissors, but wondered if anyone had traveled lately and had any issues with taking needles.

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Good questions.  I'm not even sure that they would let you take the thread cutters as I think I remember someone having problems with a nail clippers!  We do have a flight attendant that posts but I haven't seen anything by her lately.  Have you tried calling customer service at your airlines for some guidance? 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 5:43 PM

The present regulations say that you can carry on scissors as long as they are less than 4 inches.  There is no mention of restrictions on sewing needles.  Good luck.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 6:58 PM

Nana:

The present regulations say that you can carry on scissors as long as they are less than 4 inches.  There is no mention of restrictions on sewing needles.  Good luck.

this is only on flights in the us.   and sometimes the flight attendants can get grumpy about scissors with points.   i have  a pair of blunt scissors i use domestically.   on international flights, they might get confiscated.  needles have never been an issue, just scissors.    SAS refused to let my friend use her knitting needles on one flight.   they returned them at the end of the trip.   if i am taking a check bag, i will put my pointy scissors in that.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 7:00 PM

we have a flight attendant on this sight.  hopefully she will see your question and be able to better answer it    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,822
Points 365,972
Kris replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 7:35 PM

I would call the airline and ask what they allow since the rules seem to vary based on carrier and/or destination.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 7:52 PM

Welcome to the site Gaertegang

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 185
Points 2,800
Meggov replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 8:15 PM

I was on a domestic flight a couple weeks ago (american airlines).  Had blunt scissors and needles and no problems.  Good luck!

Margaret

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use