Top 10 Posters

Quiltoholics

Page 32 of 61 (913 items) « First ... < Previous 30 31 32 33 34 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 912 Replies | 37 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 94
Points 1,753
Linda replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 8:31 PM

Judi, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your son.  What a tragic day!  It's nice to know that a quilt can bring comfort under the worst of circumstances.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 695

Judi, I'm sure I can say I speak for all of us when I say our hearts go out to you.  This must be a difficult day for you.

Thank you for reminding us about making charity quilts, we are all so lucky to be able to make something that can give so much comfort to others.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

lindalennox:

By the way how do you set up the signature??  Thanks

Hi lindalennox and welcome to QCA.  I don't know if anyone has answered your question yet so here are the directions for a signature:

Go to this link:
My Live Link  and follow the signature wizard instructions.

Once you get what you want, then choose 'want to use this signature'
then choose the 'generate BB code', then 'generate code for my hand written signature'.

When the code is created, highlight it and copy it to the signature spot in your profile.

When you get to the page where it ask if you want HTML or BB code select BB code
Next page - click on Generate a code for my handwritten signature..
Scroll down to generated BB code and copy the code..

Then:
Click on My Profile
Click on the Site Options tab

Scroll down to the signature box

Paste the code in the signature box
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and save and hopefully you will have a fancy new

signature.

Thread Link: Fancy Signatue

Link to My Live Signatue

Be sure to save it when you add it to your profile.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 9:34 PM

lindalennox:

realize that I just wrote a really long post, so I'll have to write more at another date...

It has been great reading everybody

hello and welcome Linda

I think I also made one of my first quilts when my sister had her first. That would be almost 28 years ago. 

Anyway, I just wanted to welcome you and you are not alone. We are all quiltaholics, fabraholics and whatever. 

We all have been bitten by the quilting fever and I can't think of another illness I would rather have. 

I have made so many wonderful acquaintances on this site. Had so much fun. Learned so much. Received so much praise and support. 

You will just luv it. 

Welcome Welcome!!!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 94
Points 1,753
Linda replied on Sat, Sep 12 2009 10:14 AM

Thanks Spud, as you can see, it worked.  I had tried copying from Word, but it told me I had too many characters (I know I just saw another post on this).

By the way, I like Chai tea lattes and I can make a mean choc chip/dried cherry cookie I'll bring next time

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 168
Points 2,490
Carol L replied on Sat, Sep 12 2009 8:01 PM

Just got back to this thread -

judi969@verizon.net:
Please take a moment to remember my son
    -- missed that anything happened to ur son.  Very sad news - heart wrenching -  May u find some little comfort in knowing we are praying for u all..  I dont even know what WTC is.  God Bless U.

--

Carol L

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 12:14 AM

lindalennox:
I can make a mean choc chip/dried cherry cookie I'll bring next time

Isn't there a recipe thread? I think you should post the recipe for this cookie, Linda!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 12:45 AM

Judy Iliff:

lindalennox:
I can make a mean choc chip/dried cherry cookie I'll bring next time

Isn't there a recipe thread? I think you should post the recipe for this cookie, Linda!

Oh Yeah cookie recipe. I agree.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,496
Points 30,450
Diana replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 3:18 AM

Hi Y'all and welcome to all the newbies,

Been busier than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.   Fabric shopping on Thurs., taught a beginners quilt class at the Sr. Center on Friday, more fabric shopping on Sat.  Boy, are my arms tired...lugging on all those bags...lol   Quilt class went great.  Ladies were all excited about learning the disappearing 9-patch.  I have 3 out of 8 ladies that are sewing everything by hand.  Even piecing by hand.   I brought a supply of fat quarters with me (ones given to me from shop hops) to practice on.  They loved the idea.  They practiced before they cut into their good fabric.   When they got all done making their 9-patches we breaked for lunch.  After lunch, when I told them they had to cut them apart into quarters, I thought they were going to chase me out of the building....lol    But when I showed them, they got excited.  The hand stitchers are going to do it a bit different just because they are hand stitching so that their patches don't all fall apart.  But they still cut the same 5 inch squares of everything to start.  They just have to cut some into halves, and the centers into quarters and sew separate pieces.  Other ladies were having fun cutting up and then re-sewing.  Next Friday should be interesting.  See the fabrics of each student, and how different each one looks.   More converts to quilting....LOL

Diana of East Tn. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 3:58 AM

Diana that's great. Sounds like you have a really enthusiastic bunch in your class.

I have a new convert as well. One of the young ladies at work has decided to make her first quilt. She is 21, currently in school and works per diem at the hospital. She's been asking lots of questions and she brought in swatches of her fabric choices last Friday. I'm as excited as she is by the whole thing.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Kris and Diana--

Sounds like you're both doing your part to bring others into the wonderful world of quilting.  I think that is one of the greatest joys of this passion of ours.  When I was teaching school, I treasured the part of my week that was spent quilting with my students.  They were such enthusiastic learners, even at the tender of 6 or 7, and I hope they'll keep it up or take it up again when they're older.

Kissimmee, FL

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 695

Hi Diana

What is a disappearing 9-patch?  Is there a pattern somewhere on line I could look at?  I've never heard about that particular class before, but it sounds interesting

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Diana, I was wondering about your class. Sounds like it's going great! Are you taking pictures you can share? Joyce is right in that you and Kris are both helping to foster the art of quilting.

For several years, when we were in modern Am. Lit, the kids studied a poem called "My Mother Pieced Quilts". We'd do the typical analysis of the poem, but then I'd bring in pieces of fabric. The kids would each make a signature block. I would then sew the blocks into a wall hanging with an appliqued camel (school mascot) in the center and have a drawing for the hanging. I made one for each class in which we read this poem. It was also interesting to me that many of the boys could tread needles much better than the girls. In one class, one boy barely got to work on his block because he was always threading everyone else's needles.

Unfortunately, with the advent of No Child Left Behind, this is one of the activities that had to be dropped. I truly dislike that law!

Gillette, WY

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,479
Carol replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 4:12 PM

Linda,

I think posting that recipe is a great idea.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,496
Points 30,450
Diana replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 6:41 AM

Hi Tricia,    If you type Disappearing 9-patch into your Google search or whichever one you use, you will see lots of places that show you a disappearing 9 patch.  Just look at the ones that say "Tutorial".  Some give pictures to show you so that you will understand what they are doing.  It's really nice.    Here's a couple baby quilts done with the disappearing nine-patch so you can see what they look like when finished.

It really is a fun pattern, even for a beginner.

Hope you find it and have fun.

Diana from East Tn.

Page 32 of 61 (913 items) « First ... < Previous 30 31 32 33 34 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use