Top 10 Posters

Quiltoholics

Page 29 of 61 (913 items) « First ... < Previous 27 28 29 30 31 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 912 Replies | 37 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 168
Points 2,490
Carol L replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 7:10 PM

Welcome aboard - the more the merrier..........u dont have to grab, tho, it's not polite, dont ya know.  lol

Carol L

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

sqweakyquilter@yahoo.com:

Hi Sandy,

Which BOM did you do?  Anyone with patience to complete a block each month for a year deserves an award.  What will the club have as awards if any?                                                                 sqweakyquilter

It was a BOM that JoAnn Fabrics did 7 or 8 years ago.  It had several applique blocks (I don't do applique) so I had to redesign the whole thing.  You can see the pic and read the whole sad story on my blog.

As far as awards ... we pass out atta-boys and Althea sings a quilting song for anyone who completes a quilt!

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,048
Points 369,207
Kris replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 7:44 PM

Sandy,

I saw your quilt. It looks good. Great title LOL. I have one of these BOMs. It's blue, yellow and green. They're all still in the original packaging. Never even opened one. They're hanging on my pegboard. I don't know if Ill ever do anything with them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Kris:

Sandy,

I saw your quilt. It looks good. Great title LOL. I have one of these BOMs. It's blue, yellow and green. They're all still in the original packaging. Never even opened one. They're hanging on my pegboard. I don't know if Ill ever do anything with them.

Thanks Kris.  I might not have finished this one either if not for my MIL, but I'm pleased with the way it came out.

Southwest Florida

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Oooo, Sandy, I really like that quilt! You'd never know that you had to come up with a different layout and fabric than what was in the original. Nice job!

Gillette, WY

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Thank you Judy.

Southwest Florida

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 33,900

Hi Fellow Addicts,

Just wanted to let you know I will miss Wednesday's special guest--in more ways than one. (I know who it is--I'm a fan.)

We'll be in Iowa taping two episodes of Quilt Out Loud! That's the day we'll be having fried cheese curds. Taping days are always jam-packed, so I doubt we'll be done in time for me to log on.

So, do I need a doctor's excuse or something? :)

~Jodie

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,713
Points 248,447
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 8:59 PM

Jodie, we will excuse you this time - but only for a great quilt out loud program!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Althea :

Jodie, we will excuse you this time - but only for a great quilt out loud program!

Oh, I think she should have to send chocolate to all of us. That seems only fair since she'll be eating fried cheese curds. I'd suggest she send those, but they tend to lose something when they cool down! LOL!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,048
Points 369,207
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 12:41 AM

Judy Iliff:
Oh, I think she should have to send chocolate to all of us.

I agree 100% Judy.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Jodie, we will excuse you only for the fact that you are off taping the wonderful QOL show for us..looking forward to new shows..keep up the good work...I think a round of chocolate for everyone would be more than enough of an apology..don't you ladies?

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,713
Points 248,447
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 9 2009 5:00 PM

Gavel Gavel Gavel

Please hold the noise down - ladies and gentlemen - we would like to bring this meeting of our Quiltoholics chapter  to order...

We thank you all for attending this afternoon...We would like to  welcome our members and any guests that are with us today.  After our business meeting, we would like any and all new members to stand and introduce themselves. 

Please remember ladies and gents that although we are proud of being a quiltoholic that everything spoken here is to be kept within these walls… Some of our members are still in the closet!  We are here to assist the members of this chapter in becoming the best quilter that she or he wants to be.  Quilts are made with love for the recipients who get them.  We want to give you support in making the best quilt that you can make.

We have a refreshment tray set up in the back - lots of chocolates, coffee, tea, soft drinks, water, and lattes.  !

Today 

We hope that our steps will help you and that you will proudly go forth from this meeting with the knowledge that it is OKAY to be a quiltoholic.  Here are our 12 steps.

1)  Admitting that you are a quiltoholic

2) Bowing to a Quilt Deva

3)  Your need of a sponsor to help you with your quilting life - a sponsor is someone who can help you with a specific part of your quilting... egs being a piecer, a person who appliques, a person who does hand piecing,  a person to help you with machine quilting or long arm quilting etc.

4) To search through your quilting life and write down in your own words your life as a quilter... what your goals are, what you have learned, what you want to do with your quilts.

5) Sharing your love of quilting with someone else... a great enterprise to be done at every opportunity..(remember quilting is a great thing)

6)  Owning up to your mistakes and showing how you have either hid the mistake or fixed the mistake and what you learned from the mistake that will help all future quiltoholics to realize that you weren't and aren't perfect that mistakes are made and can be overcome.

7)  Realizing that your Quilt Diva is there to teach you and give you assistance with any of the questions that might arise in your quilting life.

8) Take an inventory of your magazines – books – patterns – fabric ( including scraps)…

9) Taking an inventory of your UFOs.

10) Continuing  to take stock in what you have learned in your quilting life.  Strive to be better tomorrow then you are today.

11) Lift yourself up –invite a higher power into your quilting world.  This could be a favorite instructor – a speaker at your guild meeting, a speaker at a retreat or quilt show… we need to step out of our comfortable quilty lives and try something new.  So get out there and explore.

12) Having had an awakening that you are a quiltoholic, you will now take this message to all who are or might be candidates; to encourage them to stand up and shout that they are a quiltoholic too.

Our business meeting has now come to a close.  We invite each of you to stand and acknowledge your awareness that you are a quiltoholic.  We send you forth in this knowledge and ask you to come back when you are in need of support.  We hope that you will go forth and start a chapter of  Quiltoholics in your town or city.  We will be holding Weekly meetings to get together to discuss quilting issues, to give help and assistance to all who might need it, to send forth new and wonderful quiltoholics every chance we get.

We hope to see you here again – We appreciate each and everyone of you that have come and shared your valuable time with us!  Thank you.  We hope that you have many many warm and quilty days to come and send out warm quilty hugz to all.  We now conclude the meeting and turn it over to our guest speaker today ... Tricia Sherman!!!  applause please...

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 695

Well hello!   Can everybody hear me?

Big thank you to Althea for inviting me to speak today.  This is really exciting!

I’m looking forward to telling you about my quilting life but I am sorry to say there will be no trunk show.  There is a lengthy explanation for this, but let’s just say that the airline lost my luggage!

I’ve been quilting for over 20 years now.  Unlike a lot of fortunate people, I wasn’t born a quilter.  I don’t think we even had a sewing kit in our house.  I’m sure I had to make an apron in high school, but I’ve blocked that experience from my mind.  So, my conversion to quilting was a real shock to the system.  I’m going to tell you how it really happened. I don’t share this story very often because it’s kind of  weird. It happened during Expo 86 in Vancouver, B.C. Canada.  Not only did Expo feature pavilions from every country in the world, there were also local craft demonstrations. One day I happened to wander past The Fraser Valley Quilter’s Guild demo and saw a group of little old ladies (pardon the expression – but I was under 30 at that time) these ladies were sitting around a large table all hand piecing individual blocks,  sailboat blocks – you know 9 patch with ½ sq triangles?  Boooring! Phew,  however, I did notice that they didn’t find it boring.  They sat at that table just beaming, then I noticed another quilter working in the back of the room by herself.  A beautiful woman with long dark hair, working on a oval frame on a stand.  You’ll notice the details of this experience are still fresh in my mind.  Her quilt was a building block pattern with appliquéd cats climbing and sitting on the blocks.  It was amazing.  Like nothing I’d ever seen before and I was fascinated by this gentle woman working by herself.  I sat next to her for awhile as she explained what she was doing.  Too bad it was all greek to me.  I’d love to be able to talk to her now, this is a woman who launched me into my great adventure.  Of course in 1986 I didn’t realize I was about to start on a great adventure so I walked away.  Got about half way across the expo grounds when this voice whispered in my head – YOU’RE GOING TO BE A QUILTER.  I kid you not, it actually happened that way.  I had to sit down a minute while I got over the shock.  Then I went back to the group and signed up  for a sampler class.

From there I joined a guild and received my real education in quilt making.  For the next 12 years I tried to do it all.  I belonged to 6 guilds, 2 of which were in the States.  I took classes, I taught classes, along with a quilting friend, I bought the 1st privately owned long arm in Vancouver and started a company.  Between us we had 5 kids under 10 years old, 2 husbands and 2 puppies, So guess what?  – I burnt out.

Sold the long arm and didn’t pick up a needle for another 4 years.

By April 2004, I had resumed quilting and was enjoying it in a leisurely way when an email popped into my computer inbox announcing that an internet TV channel had just been launched.  I immediately logged into QNNtv.com and just like at expo – my world shifted.

When I first logged in they were airing an episode of Jodie’s ‘Friends in the Bee’ show.  I was transfixed.  This bubbly cute woman was touring a fabric factory and interviewing quilters.  I think I drooled on the keyboard.  This was what I wanted to do.  So you see, everything since then has been Jodie’s fault!

Through my QNN show – The Great Canadian Shop Hop, I have been able to travel across Canada and many parts of the United States.  (www.greatcanadianshophop.com)  I have meet the most incredible women and have discovered that Quilters are the greatest!   The warmth and understanding that passes between quilters is an amazing thing and I am truly blessed to be part of this wonderful group.

Thank you again for having me today, hope I haven’t talked too much – I tend to do that.  Now it’s time to pig out on some of that chocolate I see on the table back there……..

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Thanks, Tricia, for speaking to us about your quilting experience. <sounds of applause and cheers!.> It's good to know that other people have voices talking to them, too, and aren't deemed crazy! Hmmm. This may harken back to the thread of ghosts and spirits! :-)

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 695

Oh, before I forget.  I've just tried my hand at editing.  When you get a chance, go to youtube and do a search for "Tanglebank".  Some good designer friends of mine are putting on a "designer quilt show" this weekend in Abbotsford BC and I offered to mention it on line.   It's very basic editing, but we had fun filming it and I hope you get a chuckle watching the spot.

Now, back to the chocolate........

Page 29 of 61 (913 items) « First ... < Previous 27 28 29 30 31 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use