Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 285
connecticute@mail.com Posted: Wed, Aug 5 2009 8:00 AM

Hi....

I have a million nick names, sew just call me Jo Jo....  I don't do this often, but I hope I can make some friends.

Have a happy time!!!!

Jo Jo

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Hi Jo Jo...welcome...so where are you from and what kind of quilting do you do?

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 285

I haven't done anything large, but I keep on seeing things that I want to do for me....  I've sewn for years, and I "was" a trainer when Donna Dewberry had a quilting section.  I also took a class at JoAnn's once, but I never finished that one.

I do a lot different crafts, but quilting seems where my head is turning right now...  I've moved down from nieces and nephews to great nieces and nephews, so it's the next generation of crafts.

Right now, my biggest problem is finding time, since my mom-in-law lives with us, and she's my biggest responsibility.....  She has all of her wits, but just has a hard time with meals and doctor appointments.  She's 92 1/2 years old. 

My husband, his mother, and I moved to Savannah 5 years ago from CT.  I couldn't take the cold anymore.  He works hard for the county.  I am on disability, so I was home anyway, but mom kind of put a kink in things.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do more soon.  We are thinking of putting up a storage shed that I can use for crafts, to "get away from it all".

Have a happy time!!!!

Jo Jo

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

It is important to have some "me" time..quilting is mine as I have been a stay at home Mum and a wife of a business man that works a lot of hours...but when the family is home, I am doing everything for them...your mother in law is 92 1/2? wow! that is amazing..and kudos to you for caring for her...my Mum is 66 and is going through Breat Cancer treatment at the moment but up till then she was in perfect health...the doctors tell us that it is because of her good health that the diagnosis is good...I have been quilting for about 20 years and am into everything..my favourite is fusible applique but at the moment I am in a piecing mood

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,919
gini replied on Wed, Aug 5 2009 9:08 AM

welcome jo jo, finding enough time is hard for me too.  mostly because i keep opening my mouth and talking.   yesterday i invited a 7 year old over for a sleep over with my granddaughter.    their mothers should be coordinating this stuff.  oh well, another lost afternoon of quilting, but one gained playing with dolls.   maybe they would like to go over to the sewing room and make doll quilts?     have fun here, there is lots of good advice and help.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Jo Jo--

Welcome to the group!

I've experienced the joys, trials and tribulations of eldercare under two very different circumstances in recent years and can certainly relate to your situation.  My husband's aunt became my full responsibility after he died.  She moved in with us after suffering a stroke which left her physically challenged, but her mental faculities were sharper at times than mine.  I was still working full time as an elementary school teacher and commuting 50 miles round trip every day.  Most days were smooth sailing, but Aunt Florence was very set in her ways and could be quite inflexible at times.  We got along pretty well, but I had to bite my tongue many times.  The other case involved my mother who as a result of two strokes, developed dementia.  We were living across the country from each other (WA and FL) and mother's refusal to relocate coupled with my inablitiy to do likewise because of my job and Aunt Florence's needs created a very stressful situation for me personally.  Mother had a wonderful couple living across the street from her that were an absolute Godsend during that time.  In 2005, having lost my husband and Aunt Florence, I decided to retire and move to FL.  Mother had also been diagnosed with lung cancer in the intervening years and her dementia had become increasingly severe.  She somewhat resented my "intrusion" into her life at that stage because she had always been the "boss" in our very close relationship, but over the next two years actually came to rely on my judgement.  We had a wonderful two years (literally to the day) together until her death in July 2007.

Gosh, I didn't mean to rattle on so.  Just wanted to let you know that I have two good ears and very broad shoulders if you need a sounding board for anything.

Again, welcome to the forums.  You'll find so much friendship and information here.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,589

Hi JoJo and welcome to QCA. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Wed, Aug 5 2009 11:05 AM

Welcome JoJo!!   You will have a lot of fun when the time allows being on the forums.  Gals are all so friendly and they can pick you up when you are feeling low.  Can't say enough for them--they're great.

I'm from Nebraska and mother of 5 and grandmother to 7.  I find trying to find the time to do things I want to do in short supply also.  I make due with whatever I have and just keep going.  Eventually it will be there.  Keep the spirits up!!   And again welcome!!

Tammy--NE.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 2,674
ceecee replied on Wed, Aug 5 2009 11:07 AM

Welcome Jo Jo. . I think you will find plenty of friends on this site. . .and much knowledge too. . .

ceecee

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Aug 5 2009 11:27 AM

Hi Jo Jo and welcome to QCA.  You'll find a lot of talented, friendly quilters here and we have fun too.  Glad to have you with us.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,194
Points 238,992
Thea replied on Wed, Aug 5 2009 11:50 AM

Welcome Jo Jo, I am in OK - I have a step mother in Fl - I have lots of time on my hands - 100% disabled from the USAF.  I do a lot of sewing as I can't go out very much and I can't sit still here but am supposed to - so I make quilts to keep my mind lively and my spirits higher.

You will find a ton of wonderful women on here - so jump right in - show us some pics - have some fun!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Welcome, JoJo!

I can empathize with your situation with your MIL. I, too, have had to care for an elderly parent, but I didn't do it in my home. I didn't go into nursing for a reason. <grin> And Joyce! Wow! I had to be the advocate for my dad after he developed dementia. There was no way he would move to Gillette, and Spearfish, SD, is only 90 miles from here; plus, all of his friends were in Spearfish. In the end, when he had to go into a nursing home from assisted living, he did come to Gillette but only because it was the only place with 200 miles that had a place for him.

At any rate, I, too, have done different crafts. One that I really enjoy now, but don't do very much, is counted cross-stitch. Truthfully, I'd rather spend my entire day reading!

You will find time, eventually, to do some quilting and other crafts. For now, perhaps, just being able to talk about it will be enough. Down the road, you'll probably be thankful that you had the time to spend with your MIL>

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 35
Carole replied on Wed, Aug 5 2009 6:06 PM

Where in North Idaho? I'm in Athol. Carole

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 168
Points 2,490
Carol L replied on Wed, Aug 5 2009 7:32 PM

wowsers, almost 93.  What a lovely and caring person u must be.  I'll bet she really appreciates u, even if she doesnt show it.  Apparently she doesnt do any thing crafty?  Quilting can be enjoyed by both of u togehter, maybe?  Job doesnt have to be perfect nor complicated.  Someone did a study of finding time to do your craft, even if it was a few minutes each time, ur project would eventually get done.  Even the simplist pattern can look gorgeous and a lot of stress relief. 

Can ur mother-in-law be left alone for some amts of time, or do u have to be available at a close distance incase she needs u pronto?

My hubby works a LOT, also.  When all kids were here, it was easier to sew when it had to do with something for them.  I had no room where I could hide and craft to my heart's content, my machine was set up in corner of livingroom in full view of kids mayhem and kept me available, but still out of their way.  Didnt get a lot done, but that's not what counted.  And we could get up and run when necessary - doctor's apptments, etc.

Good luck, and relax.  There will always be way too many lovely patterns from which to choose.

Carol L

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,919
gini replied on Wed, Aug 5 2009 10:59 PM

hi carole,   sandpoint.   gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use