Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 300
Martha Posted: Sun, Nov 7 2010 6:42 PM

Any experiences/ideas about what kind of sewing machine is suitable for taking to quilting classes?  

Martha

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660

I have a Janome Gem that works great. It's light-weight and easy to haul.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195

Something light weight. You sometimes have to carry them across a big parking lot.   I borrow back my old brother when I go to a class which is not very often.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Nov 8 2010 6:04 AM

Martha, I have a Brother machine that is very light weight about 6lbs ,I found a really nice flowered canvas tote at one of the thrift stores for $6.97,that is is great shape and will hold all my supplies to take to class,So hang in there you 'll get it figured out.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 70
Points 960
Suzette replied on Fri, Nov 12 2010 6:38 AM

I use a Singer Featherweight.  They are about 11 lbs.  But, it works great.

Suzette

SUZETTE58

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Hi Martha~

I bought a light weight Brother model for classes but I also use the machine at home as my second machine when I am embroidering. It's the Brother CS6000i and it weighs 11 pounds. I also have taken my Featherweight for classes.

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 115

I have a janome Gem also and I love it...

Sylvia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Martha - I recently bought a Babylock BL9 on sale for $99.  It has straight and zig zag stitches and is so much lighter than my Janome 6600.  I hauled my Janome around in a rolling tote that I got at JoAnns on sale.  That is where my Babylock "lives" most of the time now.  This month, I have taken it to the LQS for a sew day, church for a sew day and to Project LInus for a sew day.  It has worked very well for me  My only wish is that they would make a 1/4" foot for it.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

I take my Featherweight to my quilt meetings all the time.  I bought a rolling trolley cart, many teachers use them... it's a box with wheels and a handle that fits my Featherweight case perfectly and I can also put my Artbox carrier  with all my extras in the cart in front of the machine.  The Featherweight has very reliable, consistent stitching. 

Grandma Sal in TX

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use