Top 10 Posters

Wishing and hoping...

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 280
JANETM-14 posted on Fri, Nov 5 2010 5:21 AM

We have only one small fabric store in our area about 1/2 hour away - we are kind of rural. Next nearest store is an hour away and two tolls in each direction. Wishing someone would open a fabric store here so we quilters could have some choices but that's not on the horizon. Anyone have any experience with ordering online? How true are the colors? Any tips for online fabric ordering?

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,834 Posts
Points 248,814

Janet,I have orderd several item online ,including fabric and have not been disappointed. I have used Connecting Threads several times ,they are fast and reasonably priced, But there are alot of good online shops to purchase fabric , If I remember right ,Kris has a list in her Blog that has many shops for online shopping , Hope that helps.Barbara

PS Welcome to the club ,this is a great site and you will love it here..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 865
Traci replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 8:22 AM

Janet - I second the Connecting Threads, I've ordered from them lots of times and the fabric is never a disappointment!  I've also ordered from Keepsake Quilting & Thousands of Bolts, Quilt in a Day.  They are all good!  Have fun searching and good luck!

Traci O.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 9:08 AM

Janet

I have ordered lots of fabric online and have never been disappointed.  I love Connecting Threads and have also used Thousands of Bolts and Hancock of Paducah as well as Keepsake Quilting and Quilt in a Day.  There are several other really good ones out there.  One place that gives a huge list of online resources is FabshopHop.  Once in a while the colors will be a little different but usually that they are even more vibrant than the picture.  Have fun shopping.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,654 Posts
Points 82,429

Nana:

Janet

I have ordered lots of fabric online and have never been disappointed.  I love Connecting Threads and have also used Thousands of Bolts and Hancock of Paducah as well as Keepsake Quilting and Quilt in a Day.  There are several other really good ones out there.  One place that gives a huge list of online resources is FabshopHop.  Once in a while the colors will be a little different but usually that they are even more vibrant than the picture.  Have fun shopping.

Janet~

Welcome and online shopping is great. I have to repeat Nana again. These are all my favs and just this week I got fabric from Connecting Threads, Hancocks and Quilt in A Day. You can also request their catalogs so you get to see new items. Alot of the online fabric shops also has a color wall where you can place your fabrics for compatibility before you purchase.

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,618

Janet - Welcome to our ever growing on line family. 

I have done a lot of online ordering and have never been disappointed.  I have been able to find fabrics for lines where I was only able to buy one of the prints at my store by searching the web.  I have two quilt shops plus Joann's all within 30 - 45 minutes from my house and still order online (probably way more than I should!!)  I don't think that you will be disappointed. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I, too, have done a LOT of online ordering.  You can really find some great prices and it's a great way to build the stash.  When I'm purchasing for a specific project, I can't say that everything I've received has been exactly the color match I've wanted.  Sometimes it goes in the stash for a future project while I seek something else, but I'm very pleased much more often than I'm disappointed.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,036 Posts
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 2:56 PM

Janet,

I have had no problems ordering fabric online. Most stores have great customer service and some will send you swatches of fabric for a small fee. I will order charm packs in order to see all the fabrics in a line for a low price then order yardage of the ones I want.

I shop at Connecting Threads A LOT and I have nothing but good things to say about them. eQuilter.com is also a great online store. Click on my name them "view blog" for a list of sites that you may find useful. Fabshophop.com has a list of stores that provide a fantastic variety of fabrics.

The only advice I have is to check the store's return policy since some will not take back cut yardage.

Have fun shopping.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
185 Posts
Points 2,800

I will add to the good reviews for ordering online - never had any problems and have always been happy with what I get.  I will add one:  Quilting by the Bay.  I believe they are a local quilt shop that has an internet business in addition but they were very responsive (got the fabrics very quickly) and the quality was great!

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,579 Posts
Points 139,858

Janet,

Hancocks of Paducah puts out a wonderful catalog as does Connecting Threads. I have also used Fabric.com,ebay, and The Violet Patch, Joann.com and equilter.com. I have never been disappointed in the quality of the fabrics. Your computer monitor may make a difference in seeing true color so it is a little risky if you are looking for a specific color to match fabrics you already have. I also have run into a minor problem of not ordering enough at one time and the second lot coming in a different shade, so be sure to order what you need for your quilt at the same time.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,445 Posts
Points 94,185

I've order a lot from Big Horn Quilts. Really good fabric; really good customer service; really fast service.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,541 Posts
Points 416,959
gini replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 12:27 AM

hi janet, i have ordered from  10 or so different online sources, i've never had a problem.   i moved to a small community about 7 years ago that lost it's small quilt shop about 5 years ago.    the next closest is an hour away.     i do a lot of ordering online now.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,560 Posts
Points 47,935

I too order online. I have run across some not so great fabric in kits, but other than that I haven't been unhappy with anything. I agree that your monitor does make a difference in the colors. I would love to only shop at the LQS, but I don't always have time to get there and their prices are high. I support them as much as I can, but . . . . I have seen fabric in magazines that I love, but the LQS doesn't carry those lines so online is my only choice.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use