Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 507
Rachael Posted: Tue, Aug 4 2009 4:47 PM

i have a quilting question.  i have this baby quilt that im trying to get done fairly soon, within the next couple of weeks.  i need ideas on how to quilt this very simply but nice.  i would love to make the animals stand out too.  i need some ideas from you ladies.  here are some pictures...

here is a close up of the middle

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Rachael, are you talking about machine quilting? I think it would be fairly simple to machine quilt with a regular stitch around the animals and ark. You could do either a stipple/meander in the outside part of a simple cross-hatch. The easiest way I've found to do the cross-hatch is to lay a piece of painters tape, you know that blue tape, diagonally from one corner to the opposite and then quilt on either side. You then move the tape, align one edge with the previously stitched line and stitch on the other side of the tape.

Others will probably have better ideas, but I think this would be fairly fast - but boring to do! LOL! I hate to do the cross-hatch, but sometimes that's what the quilt wants. :)

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 507
Rachael replied on Tue, Aug 4 2009 5:41 PM

yes machine quilting.  ok so maybe a little bit more elabrate than just one kind of quilting all over.  i need a little creativity.  your right, cross-hatch would be a little boring.  i have some ideas, i was just wondering if anybody had a better one.  my brain isnt very creative in the actual quilting department yet.  i usually need some help. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,199
Points 253,527
Thea replied on Tue, Aug 4 2009 6:03 PM

cross hatch gives an elegance to a quilt - if you cross hatch and then outline each of the animals - do not cross hatch over them... stop at the edge and start at the other side on the same line - that would actually make your animals pop...

Judy didn't mean it would make the quilt boring just that cross hatching is boring to sew... you are going and going and going like the ever ready bunny...

doing that on all the outer parts of the circle would look good - then outline stitch the boat and the clouds - do a little echo stitching around the clouds - just a little... stitch in the ditch around the side triangles and meander in the outer border on top and bottom...

That is what I see at a glance.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 507
Rachael replied on Tue, Aug 4 2009 6:41 PM

oh i see.  that makes more sense.  i think i can picture that.  also, i know what echo means but you said just a little soooo that means ????  like not all over the sky?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 507
Rachael replied on Tue, Aug 4 2009 7:04 PM

also, do you suggest a color to outline with or should i use clear?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

Very cute Rachael.  MHO, I would not use a contrasting color, I think it might make this one too busy. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Althea :

cross hatch gives an elegance to a quilt - if you cross hatch and then outline each of the animals - do not cross hatch over them... stop at the edge and start at the other side on the same line - that would actually make your animals pop...

Judy didn't mean it would make the quilt boring just that cross hatching is boring to sew... you are going and going and going like the ever ready bunny...

doing that on all the outer parts of the circle would look good - then outline stitch the boat and the clouds - do a little echo stitching around the clouds - just a little... stitch in the ditch around the side triangles and meander in the outer border on top and bottom...

That is what I see at a glance.

Well, I'm glad someone can interpret for me! LOL! I didn't mean to cross-hatch over the center. I would do what Althea said. Echo, outline, ditch. etc.

As for the thread, I'm not sure I'd use an invisible thread for it. I have a fear that in years to come, that plastic thread is going to get brittle from washings and dryings which would then be rough on a baby's skin. This is probably not anything I should worry about, but I do; but only for baby quilts. I would just use plain white cotton thread. You want the quilting to enhance the quilt not compete with the piecing.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

That is a good point about the clear thread Judy, I heard about a baby that got their toe under some and it cut cause it does not break.  I guess this grandma is a worry wort also.... :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 507
Rachael replied on Tue, Aug 4 2009 9:16 PM

i never thought of that.  im so glad yall mentioned that.  since it is for a baby, i suppose all cotton would be the obvious choice.  thank you for all your thoughts and ideas!!!  it surely helps.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

One more thought, Rachel. I always put a cotton batting in baby quilts. I don't use a poly because of the melting factor.

Gillette, WY

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.