Page 4 of 5 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 74 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,810
Liz replied on Fri, Sep 25 2009 6:03 AM

Oh my Gosh what a Freudian slip, of course you all know I meant cruise control Right LOL ;)

But that reminds me of when our kids were little.

DH works in a factory and their language isn't the cleanest.  So I set up a curse can where he had to put .50 in it for the real bad swears, .25 for not so bad ones and .10 for passable ones.  Then the kids got to spend it on a treat for themselves.  It did curb DH language in time. LOL

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Betsy:

Oh my Gosh what a Freudian slip, of course you all know I meant cruise control Right LOL ;)

But that reminds me of when our kids were little.

DH works in a factory and their language isn't the cleanest.  So I set up a curse can where he had to put .50 in it for the real bad swears, .25 for not so bad ones and .10 for passable ones.  Then the kids got to spend it on a treat for themselves.  It did curb DH language in time. LOL

Too funny Betsy....I was in my 20's before I even knew my Dad swore...my hubby and borther said " are you kidding me..he swears all the time and tells dirty jokes" LOL...he just would never do that in the presence of any female....I still have not heard him swear and I'm now in my 40's...apparently my lovely daughter and my Dad have belching contests...can't even imagine it...lol...not sure what my daughter has done to bring out that side of him in front of her but they do get along well...one of few that get along with him...lol...crusty man

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 25 2009 10:26 AM

Betsy:
So I set up a curse can where he had to put .50 in it for the real bad swears, .25 for not so bad ones and .10 for passable ones.  Then the kids got to spend it on a treat for themselves.  It did curb DH language in time. LOL

Betsy,

that's a good way to do it. An old Army roomate and I had a "swear jar". Even our visitors had to contribute if they swore. We used the money to help buy supplies for our monthly bbq.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Kris:
"swear jar"

Kris:
curse can

Betsy and Kris--

OK, I just have to share my story, too.  My Mother worked as a civilian around military personnel all my growing up years and acquired some really salty language which I as a pre-teen thought was just awful, so I made her pay into a "swear jar" as well.  This was before your time, probably, so the "fee" was only nickels and dimes, but I made sure to collect it.  Funny, I can't remember if we ever spent it for anything.  I do know however that to this day I cannot abide crude language--do you suppose that was my Mother's hidden agenda?LOL

Kissimmee, FL

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Fri, Sep 25 2009 2:00 PM

OK Betsey

I missed this one. I think we should all have curse control on our sewing/quilting machines. 

I wish I had got it with mine. 

I have a HQ16, an Elna, a babylock , and a Viking SE and none of them have curse control. 

I am jealous. 

How did you manage this Betsy and how much did it cost. 

JUST JOKING 

THAT IS TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!

Cheers Edith form Canada

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 585

Francine I bought my sewing machine at a sewing machine store.  Mine is called a New Home 9000 which is made by Janome.  It was quite awhile ago and got it on sale.  They told me it would be easy to use and it is.  One thing that was nice they offered free classes on how to use my machine which was great.  They've made a lot of new models since I bought this one.  One thing about the Janome they told me that it never would need to be serviced and I've never had to have any work done on it.  Bought it in 1996.  Wow, I'd forgotten how long ago it was.  As everyone else has said you just have to try some different ones and if you go to a store to buy one I hope that the sales person is as nice as the one I had.  Good luck buy one and enjoy it.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 110
Erica S replied on Tue, Aug 17 2010 9:06 PM

Hello Ladies,  I  have a 25 year old Pfaff that has given up the ghost in the tension department, I miss it dearly.  After much consideration and machine test driving I settled on a Bernina 440QE.  The machine is computerized and I have a steep learning curve ahead of me.  The local dealer offers wonderful classes and I take every one that I can fit into my schedule.  Speaking of classes, if they are available for the machine you purchase make sure they are given on dates and times that you can attend.  Happy hunting!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,639
Shelia replied on Tue, Aug 17 2010 10:04 PM

Hi Francine

I agree that you should go to a dealer if you can and try out the sewing machines.  I have a Singer that was actually made in Italy that is a mechanical machine and worked fine until the foot pedal (is that what it's called) starting getting hot after 15 minutes of sewing. I wanted to get a computerized machine and decided on a Janome Magnolia 7330.  It cost me less than $400.00.  Which I know makes it sound cheap.  Although it doesn't do a lot of the things that the "quilting" machines do it works for me.  It is just a matter of what features you want and how much you want to spend.  If I had the money I may have bought a machine with more bells and whistles, but I love the one I have.

It has the needle threader, up and down needle and drop in bobbin with the clear cover, which I love.  It also does a blanket stitch and a few other decorative stitches.  I have a walking foot and a free motion foot.  I used the walking foot on a wall hanging and the machine performed great.  It doesn't do embroidery and it's just basically a home sewing machine but you can quilt with it.  I haven't tried anything but the wall hanging but I plan to quilt at least a throw size.  I don't think I would attempt anything larger ( I would probably pull my hair out) but that's me-lol.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 8:11 AM

Sheila

I have the same machine! I love mine.  It is my first sewing machine and I have used it for quilts up to twin size and was so happy with how easy it was to learn to use. The only problem I have had with mine is I didn't know I needed a different bobbin holder for free-motion. Once I figured that out my quilting has been much nicer.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,639
Shelia replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 6:12 PM

kim:

Sheila

I have the same machine! I love mine.  It is my first sewing machine and I have used it for quilts up to twin size and was so happy with how easy it was to learn to use. The only problem I have had with mine is I didn't know I needed a different bobbin holder for free-motion. Once I figured that out my quilting has been much nicer.

Hi Kim

Thanks I didn't know about the bobbin holder so I will have to check that out.  I haven't used my free motion foot yet, just the walking foot.  I do love my machine.  Here's a picture for how much I do. lol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 7:40 PM

Spud can u come over and make my Brother 1500 behave?..lol.. Mine is very moodie...lol.. It works when it wants to...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,829
gini replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 9:08 PM

sheila, great bumper sticker   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 7:14 AM

You ladies ,are so lucky,I would love to have some of the machines mentioned in this forumn.But money is tight ,so I have a little Brother  Project Runway machine. It has all the bells and whistles, some embrodeiry stitches,I have made several small quilts and working on 2 bigger quilts. I purchased it on  "Overstock " .I'm real happy with it ,and have had no problems.It is difficult to get the larger quilts stitched but I do manage. Hope someday now that I'm back to work to be able to get a bigger machine...So all of your comments have been really  helpful .

Is this a great club or what.....Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 7:59 AM

Barbara, what's the largest size design you can stitch on your machine?  I started out back in '85 with a Singer that had these little pop-in modules for embroidery.  Wow, have we come a long way since then!  I have two Brother machines, the most recent is the Quattro (Innovis) 6000D and love it because I can actually get 8x8 embroidery squares for quilting (and other designs).  I do a lot of embroidery, so having the largest field was really a major factor.  Besides, this will be my last machine purchase (I hope) and I wanted all the possible whistles and bells to last me.  I also digitize designs and having a really large hoop is great when I'm testing them.

Yes, this is a great club.  I've been so lucky to meet the greatest and talented people here!!!

Shari

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 9:08 AM

Shari,My little Brother is not an embrodery (sp) machine it just does some of the stiches. I think it has 87 total ,but would have to go check.I have used some of the stitches on my quilts and wall hangings they look pretty good. I don't have a hoop or anything ,but I'm still pleased with it. it 's fairly quiet compared to my old singer..One of these days I'm gonna get a better one but for now this will due..lol    Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 4 of 5 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use