Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 370
Mary Wilson Posted: Fri, Jul 31 2009 10:17 PM

I watched a video on QNNtv about quilting in sections for a regular machine.  It was by Marti Michelle.  She did not show how to put the sections together after you have quilted them.  Does anyone know how to do that?  I am having a terrible time with twin and full quilts.  I can't seem to get them done without having wrinkles. 

I will take any help I can get.  Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,709
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Fri, Jul 31 2009 10:34 PM

I do not know what happened - I answered your post - but it disappeared...

Anyway, I saw Marti at Winter Oklahoma Quilt show 2 years ago and she talked all about this - I believe I have her book on how to do this ... but.... I am sorry I can not get on the ladder tonight and look for it.  I am going to a quilt show tomorrow and if I got on that ladder tonight I know with my luck I would fall and there would go my trip... so if no one answers you by Sunday I will get up on the ladder  - find the book - and see what it says.

I believe that it had to do with sashing though - I think you sew the front - fold it over and hand sew the seam down on the back... but I'll give you a better and more precise answer on Sunday.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Mary, I found this Quilt as you go I did one of these so many years ago I would hate to admit how long and I cannot remember, but this looked like what I did.

I'm sure someone will come along with a better answer.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Fri, Jul 31 2009 11:10 PM

Hi Mary!

I'm new to the quilt world, but I just seen an Video on  Quilt As You Go by Nancy Zieman  on Qnn TV episode 1609( 10-20- 30- minutes to sew for you home)

Hope this Helps

Anita

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Mary--

One way I've done this was to break the quilt design down into manageable width panels. Then I pieced, sandwiched and quilted each panel, leaving extra seam allowance on one side so it could be attached to the next panel.  After I had this step done with all the panels in the quilt, I took the first two panels and joined the top and batting layers only, then trimmed the batting close to the seam, laid the backiing fabric over the seam on one side and lapped the other side over, covering the seam.  The back seam gets closed by either hand stitching or using a decorative stitch if appropriate for the design.  Then just keep adding panels across until the quilt is done.  The same technique can be used to add borders.

I'm trying a different approach with a quilt I'm currently working on, but I'm not sure how it will turn out.  This is a 60 x 72 medallion style quilt, so I prepared the backing and batting needed for the whole quilt (even remembered to add extra inches)  Once I had the center medallion pieced, I stitched it to the batting and backing, rolled the excess out of the way and did the quilting on the center.  Each successive round of blocks will be pieced, joined together and added, sew and flip style to the quilt, then quilted.  In theory, you'll always be quilting only on the outer edges no matter how large the quilt gets, so there won't be a bulky mess to push through the throat of the machine.  So far my quilt has the center and the first round of blocks and it seems to be going OK .  The next round is made up of 18 blocks that I'm receiving 2 at a time in a BOM, so I have awhile before this section will be ready to add.

Sorry for such a long-winded reply.  Hope it makes at least a little bit of sense.  I'm better at showing than telling.

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Joyce, what an innovative idea.  It sounds like it should work great.  I can't wait to see it when it's done. 

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Joyce,

Thanks for the explanation on the quilt as you sew.  I am anxious to see the completed project.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use