Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,578
Points 246,577
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 6:07 AM

Anita, I get what your saying the colors and design of your log cabin makes it rustic - that is wild... I love thinking of a quilt that way.  I would probably use a design of leaves and maybe throw in a cabin with trees in some of the blocks.  Draw a rustic picture - see if you can do it without stopping and starting to make it a continuous line - draw it on some of the quilting paper - that would look awesome...

Let me know how it goes.

Getting ready to go to the quilt show this morning...

I like your idea - so many good ideas on here - wouldn't it be great to have a quilt think tank...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

One of the cool things about quilting is that you can do what you want and what you like. I think part of the reason I have not made more of an effort to join a Guild is because some people act like the Quilt Police.  I know there are rules if you are entering your quilts in a show and competing, but since I don't intend to do that I do what I like in color, design, and quilting. I guess I'm just a rebel  but if I start following hard and fast rules in quilting its not going to be any fun for me and it sure won't be relaxing. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 4,864

Ohhhh if this is for a customer...Quilt as desired...is a big, no, GIANT RED FLAG!

I would run any design you might think of using by her.  Thread color, everything...by the customer.

I had that problem lately with a niece.  She said..."Mom loves red, and she does not like pink."

How many red prints can you find with NO pink whatsoever?  then I asked if we could add blue (I had two matching florals & two matching tone on tones in red and blue).  Niece didn't notice both have a hint of pink...so be it.  Then came background to set photos into...I have a nice Marcus Bros 108" backing ...it's beige, has paisley patterns & flowers (looks like embroidery)...still there is pink in with the red... she phoo phooed and said "Do whatever you think is best."  I finally asked several quilt groups...gave them the possibles for background...the one I picked came in first (I did a survey)).  Then I made the error of asking what backing...I was thinking a nice beige tone on tone... she picked bright red...not antique, but bright.

I didn't give her color choice on thread...I used three...clear around the photos & to SIDitch around the blocks, then I used a pretty gold color polyester (nice shimmer) around each frame & rainbow in the background area.  The bobbin had red in it all the way...rolled the quilt three times.  Interesting...would have never done that much moving on my Nustyle...but the Tin Lizzie is great...quilts like a dream.

Marge

Margie Campbell
margecam52@valornet.com
TinLizzie18 LS
Littlefield, TX

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

anita:

Hi everybody.     I could surely use some help.

I'm new to the quilting world.    I Have made a few log cabin quilts .Basic two and three color combination . 

IMostly I finished  the quilts by sewing in the ditch, or tying them . But that's just to Blah

What does it mean quilt as desired?  I wouldn't  put a feather designs on a log cabin. Would I?.

Anita

Marge,

Anita's original question was more of a general question, not for a customer.

Your point about customers is a good one, but since I don't plan on every quilting others quilts it was not even a consideration in my answer. 

The main reason I got the quilt frame is because I wanted to do my quilts from start to finish and I wanted them done to please me. 

But, again, your point is well taken if one were quilting for a customer.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I just had another thought, coming from the customer angle - if I were the customer I would probably not say "quilt as desired" to whoever was quilting my quilt, I would certainly want to have some idea what they planned to do.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 6:40 PM

Hi Althea!

You are just terrific.Thanks for your support

Have fun at the quilt show.

Anita

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 7:17 PM

Hello Spudgrandma

Yes you are right Spudgrandma my original question on "Quilt as desired"  was more of a general question.

If I was a Customer I would never say to my Long-arm quilter " Quilt as desired". Because what if I don't like the design?

Communication with the Long-arm quilter and Costumer is very important.

I think your are absolutely right, one of the cool things about quilting is that you in control to do what you want and like. I  too will only quilt for myself  family and Friends.

Anita

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,578
Points 246,577
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 7:35 PM

Anita, There was one - only one log cabin but I did look at the quilting for you and have a close-up of one of the quilts... it was a great time...

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 7:41 PM

Hi Marge,

If I was a customer I would closely work with my LONG-arm quilter on design and color thread choices for my Quilt. 

Never would I say to her "Quilt as desired."

Surely I would take her suggestion to heart knowing that she is the professional, but the final decision would still be mine. 

Thanks again

Anita

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 7:45 PM

Hi Althea

Glad you had a great time . Thanks for looking. What a friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anita

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 8:02 PM

Sorry  Althea this last reply about finishing the quilt was meant for our good friend Spudgrandma. Still new at this and got in a hurry.

Anita

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 4,864

So would I...but as a Long Arm Quilter...I can't  count the times  a customer will say ...quilt it as you feel best...I have to stop them & make them go over a worksheet...thread color, batting, binding (and or machine sewn), design...problems with the quilt (sticky one)...etc...I then get a signature.

Margie Campbell
margecam52@valornet.com
TinLizzie18 LS
Littlefield, TX

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,578
Points 246,577
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 10:17 PM

I love this discussion about how to communicate with your LA qulter -  I have to say my LA quilter, Darlene Bishop, is one of the best free motion quilters that I have had the pleasure of meeting.  I do not tell her how to do anything on my quilts that she has done for me.  She is amazing... the quilts she has done for me, I thought looked very good(predudiced) but when I got them back they just sizzled. 

I agee that you shouldn't just tell any LA quilter to do as they please but with her you just want to - she is so fantastic...

I have to say when I looked at the pictures I found more then one Log cabin quilt - but not traditional ones - i am enclosing here a picture of a blue and white one and a close up of what they did for the quilting...It was done by a LA quilter...

I didn't get closeups of the other log cabins - why??? I didn't realise till I looked at my pictures that they were log cabins... shame on me...

they are not traditional but beautiful - I liked the tulip one - thought that it was innovative.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sun, Aug 2 2009 12:23 AM

Hi Althea

Thanks for the picture of the log cabin great quilting

Anita

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,578
Points 246,577
Thea replied on Sun, Aug 2 2009 4:47 PM

I think you can go in on the other quilts and see the quilting too - I think you can - I may be wrong - but the quilting on all was really great - new ideas -

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use