Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 445
Linda Posted: Thu, Jul 30 2009 8:39 PM

Hi fellow quilters,  I am new to the club so I hope I picked the right spot to put this.   As a new member it has been fun to read some of your conversations and I look forward to this experience.  I will be a first time grammie in December and my son & his wife do not want to know the gender of their child prior to birth.  They are decorating the nursery in neutral colors with a lambie theme - "Sweet Lambie" bedding.  I can find all kinds of duck applique quilts - is anyone familiar with a baby quilt pattern that could be done in neutral colors with applique lambs?  Thank you for any ideas anyone has,

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,032
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 30 2009 8:58 PM

Look for the post "I wolly love ewe" .  Kim made this full size quilt - but you could probably resize it for a baby quilt - it is adorable - and could be just what you want.  It is an F&P pattern. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,852
Points 366,467
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 30 2009 11:26 PM

Linda, there's a line of fabrics called Newton from Clothworks that might work here's a sample:

You can find it here or perhaps at you local quilt shop. There are many different themes and panels you might like.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Linda and welcome to QCOA!

On your lamb theme you mentioned applique, If you are wanting to applique lambs I got cute pictures out of coloring books and then traced them and copied either sizing up or down depending what size I wanted. I then cut and appliqued them onto my quilt.

Congrats on the new baby, being a grandma is so much fun!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Jul 31 2009 10:46 AM

Hi Linda and welcome to QCA.  Congrats on the first grandbaby.  Tell us a little about yourself.  How long have you been quilting?  What style of quilting do you like?  Where do you live?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!  Glad to have you with us.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 445
Linda replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 8:06 PM

Thanks for the welcome- I live in Endicott, NY and I work in the Research & Developemnt area of a large credit union which is fun.  I am ready to retire, but waiting for the 401K to rebuild a little after last year.  Also I am working to support my quilting habit which seams (pardon the pun) to be very addictive.  One of my favorite types of quilting is appique and I also really enjoy making unusual labels.  When I take one of my pieces to guild for show & tell, now they want to see that label first then the piece.  I like to import things from the internet like logos etc that correspond to the nature of my quilt and use as background watermarks, and I usually include a picture of the person I am making the quilt for or of something we may have done together and I always write a poem or put in a quote from a book or movie that describes my thoughts regarding the quilt / them..  I am learning how to paper piece and am not sure I am cut out for that - Making the New York Beauty with batiks.  I am also enjoying the challenge of making a Day & NIght Kameleon quilt designed by Eldrid Royset Forde from Norway!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 445
Linda replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 8:12 PM

Thank you so much for the link - that fabric is absolutely adorable - I think I am going to enjoy being a part of this group - I've just started and already have gotten a lot of creative help.  What are the Tags for at the end of these communications?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,032
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 1 2009 9:56 PM

Linda, Can you tell me where in NY Endicott is - I was born in Buffalo General Hospital and lived in Tonawanda, Eggertsville, Hilton, Brockport and Rochester... I think Endicott is somewhere near the Buffalo area but am not sure...

I am not sure about paper piecing either...I did find some really nice thin paper that is strong enough to go through the copier but very easy to rip out when you are done.  I tried Carol Doak's and didn't like it - I tried some other papers too - tomorrow when I am rested up I will look at the package and get back to you what it is - I bought it at a Paper store... it was recommended to me by a lady who does a lot of paper piecing - the price is right - you get over 500 sheets in the ream and 500 is thinner then Carol Doak's 100 piece package...

I don't use the tags so can't help you there... Spud will know.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 445
Linda replied on Sun, Aug 2 2009 7:56 AM

Endicott, NY is about 60 miles south of Syracuse - we are about 15 minutes north of the PA border sort of above Scranton which is about an hour away.  Buffalo is a bit of a trip for us.  We were one of the original IBM sites and had over 70,000 employees.  Our area is also home to Endicott Johnson which in its heyday made millions of shoes, dress shoes, rubber wear for firefighters, boots for soldiers, althletic wear - bowling shoes, sneakers etc.  Both businesses are now long gone from our area.  We also had Ansco Camera / Film Works and Link Aviation also gone today.  Our community is probably 1/3 of the population that it was from 1890 to the 1980's when things started unraveling. 

One nice thing about our area is that I have at least 15 wonderful quilt shops within a 100 mile radius of me.  We have two shop hops and one takes us to Dansville which is not too far from Buffalo.  This weekend we are celebrating our "Speidie / Balloon Fest" which brings at least 80 to 100 hot air balloons to the area.  It is a three day event with various music all day - hot air balloon rides, arts & crafts, food vendors and ofcourse.Spiedies  I would bet that most of you will not know what a Spiedie is - any guesses?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Aug 2 2009 10:47 AM

Spiedie sounds like what my niece calls those 8-legged bugs that climb up the wall!!  Somehow though, I don't think that's the correct answer.  LOL

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Linda:

Thank you so much for the link - that fabric is absolutely adorable - I think I am going to enjoy being a part of this group - I've just started and already have gotten a lot of creative help.  What are the Tags for at the end of these communications?

Hi Linda,

When you click on Forum in the bar above, you will notice to the right about 1/2 way down the page a box that says TAG - if you click on one of the words in that list it will bring up posts that are tagged with that word. 

You can add tags when you post by just adding it to the box at the bottom of the reply that says tags or you can select a tag that best fits your post from the select tags button.

It is really just a way to search and catalog posts.

T Lynn - SW Idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Kris,

I completely spaced it when I posted below yours. That lamb print is so cute, I do not know how I missed it.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 445
Linda replied on Sun, Aug 2 2009 5:42 PM

Nope!  Spiedies are bite sized chunks of marinated meat (originally lamb was used) that is cooked over a grill on a long thin metal skewer.  When done, you pull six to seven pieces (depending on the size) off the skewer with a slice of Italian bread and eat - yummy.  Similar to kabobs - but no vegetables and the meat is marinated for a few days before used.  They are native to this area - now we can get pork, and chicken spiedies too, but lamb is still my favorite.  They originated in a local pub called Sharkey's in our area and have blossomed from there.  We have wonderful Italian bread bakeries (fresh bread is the best) in the area so makes for a nice treat.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Well, that is certainly a new one on me!  Would not have guessed in a million years.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Yummm Linda, send some my way it sounds great. What are they marinated in?

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use