Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita Posted: Wed, Jul 29 2009 9:58 PM

Help!      Hi, I'm new to the Quilting world.   I love learning to quilt.  I have made a few Log Cabin quilts , but I'm not sure about the right color combination.

I'm a little confused about picking the right colors for a quilt.  I see all the beautiful quilts at shows and magazines , but how did the get fabric and the colors just perfect.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,610

Welcome aboard,

There are several methods  for getting the right color combination: 1.  buy prepackaged sets  2.  purchase yardage in a "collection", 3.  get a color wheel and learn how to use complementary colors (across from each other), monochromatic colors (shades/hues of one color, and the triad of colors(primary, secondary, etc)  4. look for color combinations in life eg. pansy has purples, black and yellows.... 5.  go with what you like/what your  gut says looks good.  6.  ask for help at a fabric store.

I like to find a print fabric as my focal point.  Then I try to locate fabrics that match the colors in the print. 

If you are concerned about light/dark get the red/green lens to help with intensity of colors.  The patterns will sometimes give you clues too when they list lights, mediums and darks.  If you have light backgrounds with dark design pieces then the dark pieces will "pop" and vice versa.

I know this is a lot in a short time...hope it was useful.  Let me know if you need more info.

Scotts, Michigan (near Kalamazoo)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 33,515

Anita, Kathy's advice is good. You can also find all sorts of info on Maria peagler's site. She has written the best book on color I've seen. And has lots of material on her site.

DON'T BE AFRAID of color! And do ask for help at the quilt shop.

~Jodie

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Wed, Jul 29 2009 10:28 PM

Hi,  I'm Anita a grandma to four girls and five boys ages 18 month to 14 years.  Kathy thanks for being my friend.  You are terrific about the info you gave me. I have many print fabrics at home but never thought using them as focal fabrics.

Thanks, Anita

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,932
Points 233,952
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 29 2009 10:36 PM

Anita, a lot of fabrics will have a small group of colors in the selvage - those are colors that the fabric will go with.

different colors have different shades and what is great to one eye is horrible to another - try out what you like - put the fabrics next to each other and stand back about 8 feet and see how you like it - try different ones. 

I like complementing colors - but I have seen some beautiful quilts that were made with colors that I would never have put up against each other.  I think the best advice is to use your common sense.

If you don't feel you can pick out your own colors you can buy a kit or use the exact fabrics that are in the pattern that you are wanting to make...

Jump in though and test the waters - after a while you will be amazed that you are swimming solo.

Warm quilty colors coming your way!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Wed, Jul 29 2009 10:40 PM

Hi,  Jodie This is just great to have all of you as friends. I know I came to the right place when joining  QUILTERS of America and QNNtv .

Thanks so much I'll take yours and Kathy's advise to heart. Will check out the Maria Peagler's site.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Wed, Jul 29 2009 10:51 PM

Good evening Althea! Thanks for the tip about the color groups in the fabric salvage. I often wondered if this were color combination you could apply. Thanks Athea for you kindness.  I'll learn to swim.

God bless,

Anita

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,932
Points 233,952
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 30 2009 7:00 PM

I quilted for years before I learned that one...lol but it helps not to have to carry all the fabric with you when you are looking for something you can just cut off the selvage and off you go.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Fri, Jul 31 2009 12:35 AM

Hi Althea

My Husband was laughing went I got off the computer and started cutting off selvages with color dots. Thanks for the tips.  Made me a little strip of fabric and attached the selvaged  to it.

God bless Anita

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,932
Points 233,952
Thea replied on Fri, Jul 31 2009 1:53 AM

Laughing is the best medicine for any body - you will live a lot longer and have lots of fun if you inject lots of laughter.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Mon, Aug 3 2009 1:16 PM

anita, another way i that i find works for me in picking colors, is finding a fabric that you absolutely love that has several colors in it.   then pull out all the colors in that fabric.     next, take each color you've pulled out and pick a fabric that is a little bit lighter and a little bit darker than those fabrics. keep doing this until you get a combo you like.    and make sure you get a variety of  scale in your fabrics.   if i am making a log cabin,   after i get the two colors chosen for the two sides of the block, then i interview fabrics that look good with both sides to  make the center.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 80
Points 835

All you ladies have such good advice :-)

Jean

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Mon, Aug 3 2009 11:34 PM

Thanks gini

Look what I came up with for the colors, my daughter-in-law loves purple My focus fabric was the border.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,932
Points 233,952
Thea replied on Tue, Aug 4 2009 2:02 AM

I have to say - most of my quilts are my favorite colors - and I am lucky - almost every color goes with blue...

then i love Christmas quilts too -

the only thing I think you need to do when selecting fabrics is to make sure you have a good light... I have found that I thought I was getting a good rich red and when taken into the sunlight found it to be a pink that didn't go with the other colors...

If possible, always lay the fabrics next to each other with about 4" showing and step back about 6'... look - turn away - and then look again - if you don't see something glaring at you - then you have a good selection...

If you are buying online... then you kind of hope that your computer has a good realistic color scheme on it...

If you still are in doubt, for the first couple times by the fabrics in the line... they will coordinate and look good together...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Tue, Aug 4 2009 2:03 AM

beautiful quilt anita, and that's exactly what i mean about using a focus fabric.   now i do a lot of applique. and if i am making a flower with six leaves, i pick six different reds, say, for each of the petals.   working with color should be fun, so relax and enjoy  the entire process.   you really have to work hard to make an ugly quilt.   gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use