Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,716
Points 248,537
Thea Posted: Wed, Jul 29 2009 11:47 AM

Candy - How did your backing line up with the front of your quilt - I am just wondering if you had square blocks on the front that lined up with the backing.

I just did squares on the back of my rocking horse quilt - the squares were the same size as the front but they didn't line up with the front because the front has borders on it. 

I did a plane 1/4" from seams quilting on the front and it looks great on the back - but the stitching lines do not match up on the back and am wondering if anyone - or you - have done free motion design and how you work your measurements to make it look good on the back...

this is a new idea for me and i like it but am trying to learn so if you have any help for me - spill it into my open brain...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,055
Points 369,272
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 29 2009 3:06 PM

Thea,

I sometimes plan it so the back matches up but most of the time I just piece the back without worrying about where the seams lie. In those cases I try to pick a quilting design that works well with both sides of the quilt. 

The baby quilt I submitted for show and tell was planned. When I quilted the front, the design was supposed to show up on the back in a particular way. It's not perfect but my goal was accomplished.

I'd say don't worry too much about it. Just do what feels right to you.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,716
Points 248,537
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 29 2009 3:21 PM

Kris, That is what I did with Rocking Horse.  But this is a whole new arena for me - I have pieced backings but usually strips - the one I did for my civil war quilt is really a crazy quilt design - it is all over the place and I won't be able to photo what it will look like till I quilt it - I have it in a holding bag till I figure out exactly what I am going to do - I started to sandwich it about a month ago and the backing is just barely bigger then the top on the top and bottom - sides are big enough so I was wondering if I needed to sew another piece on top and bottom - it will only get cut off after I sew the 3 pieces together -

I put it in the holding bag while i decided what to do -

It is a quilt that I started 2 years ago - I got the top done right away and then started sewing these blocks together for the back- projects cropped up in between and I pulled it out again about a month ago -

It is on the list of UFOs to be finished this year... and I am going to try and keep that promise to myself.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy replied on Thu, Jul 30 2009 8:22 AM

Hi Althea,

I don't line up the squares on the back with the front.  Whatever quilting you choose to do on the front will look just as nice on the back...no matter where they line up.  I usually cut my squares 10.5 inches so that when sewn together they are 10 inches.  Say the quilt is 84 inches wide...I sew 9 squares together and just try to center the top evenly over the backing.  Right now I am working on a baby quilt for my daughter  who is expecting at Christmas and will be using using 4 inch charm squares for the back (I  don't want such big squares on a baby quilt) ...they will not be the same size as the blocks on the front and I am sure it will quilt up just fine.  I have used the pieced backings doing free motion, straight lines and stitch in the ditch on the front and it just adds interest to the back.  The first time I attempted this type of backing I was nervous just like you, but relax, it will turn out just fine!  Any other questions, just let me know!    Below you will find another example of a backing for a lap quilt.

Candy in Wi

When life gives you scraps, Make quilts!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thanks Candy for the explanation. I really will have to try this sometime. I really like your quilt backs they look so scrappy and after all people quilted to keep warm and they used what they had.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,716
Points 248,537
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 30 2009 1:35 PM

Candy, Thank you so much - I am such a worry wart... I have the worst time doing anything that isn't thought out in my quilts - everything has to work - I tried really hard being just spontaneous with the Christmas Rose quilt - I made all these half square triangles from reds and greens - threw them up on my design wall... I tried to just let them fall where they may ... but in the end I had to arrange them so it all worked...lol

I took over 100 pictures of this part and looked at them and looked at them... it was the same thing for the little 2 1/2" squares.  I turned at least 1000 hairs on my head white while I was making this quilt...lol 

that is the way I will end up being with pieced backs - I did just jump in there with Rocking horse and I am happy with it - Steva will be thrilled but the next one I know I will try to figure out how to make it so each square works just right...lol

You will be amazed when you see the back to my Civil War quilt... It is put away at the moment because it is so out there for me - I had to put it away and will pull it out again when I am feeling really frisky...lol 

I think you have done a beautiful job!  And I thank you for being patient with me and answering my questions.  this is the next area of my quilting that I am delving into -

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use