Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 43 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy replied on Wed, Jul 22 2009 12:25 PM

Below you will see an example of my pieced backs.

Candy in Wi

When life gives you scraps, Make quilts!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,541
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Jul 22 2009 1:10 PM

Candy, it is beautiful.  And I love the quilt on the wall too!

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Great looking quilt back, Candy!

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,324
Points 249,687
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 22 2009 2:10 PM

Candy that is beautiful - you must make reversible quilts then - because that is good enough to be the front!  I usually use scraps but sometimes - if it is on sale - I will buy the 108" wide backings...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,870
Points 420,184
gini replied on Wed, Jul 22 2009 10:42 PM

candy, i love it   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,321
Points 388,217
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 23 2009 12:02 AM

Oh yeah Candy, that's what I'm talking about. Pieced backs are the best. Show us a photo of that wall quilt, I like what I can see of it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Thu, Jul 23 2009 1:40 AM

Candy,

I love the quilt...I am glad I read your post tho cause I thought it was top side. I have to say this makes me think more about pieced backs. But still figure use the pieces to do a scrappy top instead.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

That is very cool Candy, I love scrappy and that is scrappy.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,785

I almost always buy more fabric than the pattern calls for.  The main reason is in case I make a mistake and have to recut something, but the other reason is so I can use the left over fabric to piece the back.  I always do this if the quilt is commissioned, because I want the client to get their money's worth, since they do pay for the material.  I like the idea that they get two quilts for the price of one.  It is a challenge sometimes to get the pieces to fit, but it's good practice for me to come up with a pretty backing with larger than normal pieces.  I'll post a picture of an Air Force quilt my friend and I made as soon as it's quilted.  We ended up with less than a yard of fabric left, after we pieced the back.  Now that's economy!

Dawn

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,782

Candy--

This is a beautiful quilt back.  I'm wondering though, when you plan the quilting design for the front, do you take into consideration where it will fall in relation to the blocks on the back, or does it not matter?  I've only done one scrap pieced back and it worked out pretty well, but the quilting wasn't very elaborate.

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

Great question Joyce.  I also wondered about putting it on the frame, if it would be harder (and I assume it would be) to get everything lined up and if there would be more give in a pieced back. Not sure, just wondering.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,324
Points 249,687
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 29 2009 11:43 AM

When I did that special backing on that quilt a few years ago - the lady that put it on her long arm didn't even pay attention to the placement and it didn't end up right... I think it would be harder but I think it can be done. 

Rocking horse back turned out looking pretty good with the squares - I quilted from the front and it looks good on the back - but I can imagine if I had done free motion on the front I would have had to do a little more work to get the back to look right.  I quilted 1/4" from each seam on the front - and it looks fine on the back squares - and they aren't placed the same as the front - I suppose I could have done the 3 squares across and 4 down and put borders on the back too - but I just sewed 4 across and 5 down which was 1 bigger then the front - and worked great...

I'll post a picture later of Rocking horse back - I like it...lol 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy replied on Thu, Jul 30 2009 12:45 PM

Thanks Joyce!  No, I don't worry about where the quilting where fall on the blocks on the back of the quilt.  I found that it adds interest to the quilts if I don't.  However, I don't do anything real elaborate when it comes to quilting...straight lines, quilt in the ditch, meandering...you get the picture!!!

Candy in Wi

When life gives you scraps, Make quilts!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,324
Points 249,687
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 30 2009 10:14 PM

Candy, I am going to try again - I cut out squares to go behind my Nursery rhyme quilt - did that a little while ago - am sitting down now trying to gain some energy - I am losing that battle quickly tonight... I was going to sew tomorrow but since I am going to Kansas and have to drive my friends for the quilt show in Hutchinson, I think that I will take tomorrow off and just rest...

We have a new pressure system traveling through our area and I don't know why but it just does me the wrong way.  they had some tornados in the area... not good... so I think I will take it easy - but then I will gain a 2nd wind and start anyway... but I think this time I will put my foot down on myself and tell myself I have done a lot recently - quilting and cleaning and gardening...

I can take a break for a day -  Martha and Chris would kill me if I had to call it off because i allowed myself to get sick... so taking a break...

I just wanted to let you know that I am doing another quilt with the squares backings...

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 600
Michelle replied on Thu, Jul 30 2009 11:08 PM

Candy, I have to admit that I have been fairly lazy when it comes to the backing.  I usually buy a busy print to hide imperfections in my quilting.  I love it even more when I find it on sale or can buy the bolt end for a reduced price.  I think that the pieced back is really beautiful and I might try that on one of my next projects.

Althea, I just noticed that you are from Oklahoma.  I grew up in the McAlester-Hartshorne area and that's where I first fell in love with quilts.  A lady in our neighborhood made scrappy quilts that she hand quilted using a room-sized frame that hung from her ceiling.  My mom used to give her the scraps left over from our dresses and play clothes (my mom sewed garemts, never quilted).  I still remember standing next to that frame and hunting down  the fabric from my own dresses.  It was such a thrill to locate my special memories.

Michelle

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.