Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 43 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,434
Points 243,517
Thea Posted: Sun, Jul 19 2009 3:20 PM

I worked for 21 years in the USAF and while doing that we learned to budget in the family... we learned to use what we had...

In saying that - I saw a video on backings on the site... about making them interesting...

I couldn't afford large quanities to make my backings - back in the day - so I got in the habit of using whatever was on hand - most times it was pieces of the leftovers of the material that I had made the front from...

I have a quilt that I have the top done right now - It was a BOM that I got involved in that was 12 different shops on the internet that designed these blocks and you picked which one you wanted to do the finishing kit from -

I had so much material from these that was left over - now I don't normally do quilts with civil war material so this material was going to just sit there... this is what I did - I started taking all the pieces and just sewing together any way that they would go - I  made the blocks 12 1/2" unfinished - squared them all up - then I sewed them together - I had some pieces that were from the border material that were the length of the quilt - I sewed them in between the piced blocks - now it isn't thet pretties because I didn't use any pattern for this but it came out pretty good... I have to sew one more piece on the top and the bottom to make that 2" wider then the top so that I can sandwich and sew it together...

when I get it done I'll take a picture and post it...

But how many of you do different things on the backs?

God bless,

Althea

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

I've seen backings that are as pretty as the tops, IMO. I don't have that much patience which is why I bought the bolt of white backing fabric. :) I look forward to your pictures.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 4:31 PM

By the time I get to the point where I need the backing, I'm getting anxious to get the quilt done so I buy a coordinating fabric.  I, too, have seen some beautiful pieced backings but have never done one myself.  I did make a serger quilt for my niece several years ago and you can't tell front from back on that one.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,434
Points 243,517
Thea replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 5:10 PM

I don't know if mine is going to be beautiful but I have fewer civil war scraps left.  I still have some though - I can't believe how much fabric I have left over from these BOMs. 

God bless,

Althea

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,800
Linda Lou replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 6:16 PM

Althea,

I have never done a pieced backing.  I can't wait for pictures of the one you are working on. I just know it will be beautiful!!!

I don't usually have that much material left over.  However, I am working on a kit with the blocks all cut out for me.  I could have enough left over on this one to do a backing. 

Staying busy,

Linda Lou

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 7:15 PM

Quilts that Alex Anderson has done is peased they don't look to bad

Happy

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,524
Pam Schue replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 10:01 PM

I like using just the plain white or tone on tone for the backing because you get to see all of the beautiful quilting. I've always wanted to do a Whole-cloth quilt. Maybe someday.  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 10:39 PM

I have to say I usually have white or off-white I purchased by the bolt and usually on sale to boot....that is how I save money and yet have the material. I have found most quilt shops would rather sale the whole bolt of alot of that type fabric as to cut it and such. So I take advantage of the discounts and make another something else with my scraps....usually ends up as a scrappy quilt of some sort or some odd thing I find to make for gifts for the kids.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,821
Points 365,937
Kris replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 10:50 PM

My backings are usually pieced. I usually end up making two quilts. The back is usually an enlarged simple quilt block. It's just the way I like to do things.

My two most recent projects have a plain back (by my standards) but one is made interesting by a trail of appliqued stars. The other is one fabric because my husband picked up the fabric he wanted me to use.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 125
Gina J replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 11:48 PM

I tend to buy clearance fabrics for my backings.  Hate to pay full price for a backing.  I will buy wild fabrics, large prints, etc.  It's quality fabric, maybe the print is a bit "odd".  They make a suprise on the back.  I'm not making heirloom quilts so I like to have the surprise on the back.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Jul 20 2009 12:13 AM

i love to piece the backs.  sometimes they are as pretty as the front, because they are  simple.  i usually have way more than enough fabric left over and it is a great way to deplenish my stock so i can go shopping again.   it is also a good way to experiment with slashing pieces every which way and putting them together.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy replied on Mon, Jul 20 2009 3:36 PM

I like to piece my backings as well.  I generally use a 10.5 inch charm block.  I usually cut the squares from left over pieces used on other quilts as well as uglies from my stash.  It is surprising how an ugly fabric can look so different when cut into a smaller piece.  By using this method, I have a reversible quilt that generally looks pretty darn good!

Candy in Wi

When life gives you scraps, Make quilts!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

You guys are so much more creative than me. I guess I need to try a pieced back, well maybe one of these days LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Tue, Jul 21 2009 1:06 AM

I guess I figure use my cheap fabric for one piece backs..then my scraps can be used elsewhere. Plus I just get to antsy when I get to that stage to sit and do another piecing to get a back too. I also use backing sometimes that makes a plain quilt and that is what I like to have as an option sometimes as well.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,821
Points 365,937
Kris replied on Tue, Jul 21 2009 1:14 AM

Candy:

I like to piece my backings as well.  I generally use a 10.5 inch charm block.  I usually cut the squares from left over pieces used on other quilts as well as uglies from my stash.  It is surprising how an ugly fabric can look so different when cut into a smaller piece.  By using this method, I have a reversible quilt that generally looks pretty darn good!

Candy, you are so right about the ugly fabric. When it's in good company it can actually look good too. I just purchased a number of layer cakes with the sole intention of using them to make a pieced backing.

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use