Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,248
Points 239,892
Thea Posted: Thu, Jul 16 2009 12:44 PM

I am sure there are others out there doing this but no one taught me to do this - just found and am doing it on my own.

I am using outline/redwork designs to quilt on my quilts.  It looks when finished as though I had it done by someone with a Statler Machine.  I do the designs and then free motion a loopy d loop design to connect them.

I did my Snowman quilt in a similar to this method.  I didn't connect them all but in areas where I could I did snowmen and stars and even have areas that in using my embroidery I did stippling.

I am not sure if you can see it - but in those open spaces I used my embroidery machine - these are done in that outer border... I freemotioned the stars in the star blocks and in the rectangular blocks I used a stippling design. 

The center of this quit is hand embroidered.

But for those who have embroidery machines and do this - I would like to hear from you - any designs you have and where you purchased them to use - or do you design them yourself.

I am doing a quilt for my Grand daughter at the moment - I did some strips of this cute little gnome and mushroom and mice that are playing musical instruments - then I pieced some squares of the coordinating fabrics and used a strip of the red and the blue - in those strips I embroidered flowers, a moon/star/cloud design and a duckie... I am going to loop d loop these to connect them -

I am also going to try and do feathers this way in the borders.

Anyone else use their embroidery machines in this way?  Any suggestions?

God bless,

Althea

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jul 16 2009 8:03 PM

Hi Althea, The quilting embroidery designs that I have are beautiful but they backstitch over themselves so that the finished product has a heavier thread look that when I stipple up to it. I just thought of something though. I used a heavier weight cotton thread to do the embroidered quilting designs. I may try them in a lighter weight rayon and see if I can get a lighter look. Have you checked out www.emblibrary.com? The designs I have just referred to are Husqvarna Viking designs located at www.embroiderylibrary.com.  Of course you need the software to download designs.   

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jul 16 2009 8:05 PM

Oops almost forgot. Beautiful job on your quilt.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,248
Points 239,892
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 16 2009 8:57 PM

Thank you on the quilt - and I shop at emblibrary all the time.  The designs I have been using lately are by anitagoodesign..  they so far have worked really well.

God bless,

Althea

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 245

Hi Thea! 

I have used my embroidery machine to do quilting on a few baby quilts.  But, I have issues keeping the quilt in the hoops because of the thickness.  I too used the redwork and similar designs that are only an outline.  Do you have any suggestions on keeping the quilt in the hoops and do you do the entire quilt this way or just certain areas and then quilt in the usual way?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 10:37 AM

I frequently use embroidery designs for my quilting.  I will tell you what works well for me:

I hoop just a sticky-back stabilizer (that will dissolve in water) with the sticky side up.  Then I carefully position the quilt on top of the stabilizer within the hoop and stick it down well.  Sometimes I add a few straight pins for extra security holding the quilt in the right position.  Be sure your pins are outside the stitching area, but through both the quilt and the stabilizer. Then carefully move the quilt and the embroidery hoop to your machine and do your stitch out.  When you are finished, remove most of the stabilizer from the back and use a wet Q-tip to dissolve any remaining stabilizer under your stitches.

As I said, this method has worked very well for me!

BTW, there is a Group here on Machine Embroidery.  You might want to go there and scroll through the posts for other ideas.

Winthrop, WA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 80
Addie replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 11:39 AM

Hi Thea, I am back again with Quilters Club and found your post and beautiful quilt. I also have an embroidery machine and am interested in learning to incorporate machine embroidery into my quilts. I realize your post is an older one and if you are still with us I would like to inquire as to how these methods are working for you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 11:54 AM

Thea

Beautiful quilt.  I have used my embroidery machine to do some quilting and really like it.  I have designs that I bought at embroidery library as well as a lot of designs that came with my embroidery software.  It really does make a beautiful quilt when you do the embroidery quilting.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 80
Addie replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 12:15 PM

Thanks Donna for the advice. I am a beginner quilter and also have an embroidery machine I am currently learning to use. I have often thought about incorporating machine embroidery into my quilts but know little about it. Thank you again for the good tip! Any mopre tips you want to share?                

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 135
Karen D replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 1:18 PM

you can incorporate embroidery in your quilt in many different ways. You can select a theme and embroider each block individually. Cut the fabric larger than the finished block add your batting and backing then embroider your design. When the embroidery is finished then cut the block to size. This is easier than embroidering after the quilt is put together. This also allows for when the embroidery machine decides to act up. Like developing a birds nest under the hoop if the thread just happens to pop out of the tension discs or the thread runs out or you accidently bump the embroidery arm when the design is sewing out.

I have a lot of fun with the embroidery software creating my own fabric for the background of my quilt blocks. I size the fill to the finished size of the block and then embroider a purchased design over this. Just have fun!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 140
Wendy replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 7:02 PM

Oh I am just starting into this too. Thank you who ever posted about the group on here.. I'll look them up and join.  As far as hooping quilt I would never do that unless you are using the magnetic hoops... I think the magnetic hoops work way better than the water solvable too. Just because when you want to multi hoop you just keep moving the fabric down and you don't have to move the hoop out, tear project out, re hoop stabilizer, and then mount quilt again. 

My software says it make quilting designs but I haven't made but a few digitizing by hand so far, which is way way way to time consuming. (again a custom order quilt)  I just now learning about quilting software for the long arms but you should be able to make some via embroidery software too. The difference is well a lot.  Using an embroidery machine software it save it in the format for the embroidery machine and you have to be careful it's all one stitch with no stops and cut offs.  I don't own quilting software but i'm sure it makes the designs with one stitch no stopping or cut offs and saves it in formats for long arms :( will dig deeper. 

What i am going to try next week is making my own bunny quilt.. I'm going to digitize the bunnys, applique them to my quilt via embroidery machine and then digitize the quilting stitches in the bunnies and see how that goes.. it's my project for next week using 12x8 hoop size although I should do 5x7 the most common hoop size. I will post pics if it works out ;) 

Cheers, wendy

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 495

Such a fun quilt!

I haven't used my embroidery machine for quilting yet. It's on my list of things to learn - but I still have to complete my first quilt (in progress at the moment).

Teresa in Naperville, IL

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use