Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,800
Linda Lou replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 5:58 PM

Great to meet you Happy!!  Tell us a little about yourself.  Where do you live, what are you working on, etc.  I love to know what people are working on.

As for me, right now I am working on a block of the month kit that I purchased called Bouquets for a New Day by Susan Garman out of Quakertown Quilts.I have finished 5 blocks and have one more to do before I go back and pick up the next 6 blocks.  It is not a current BOM project, but Quakertown keeps kits made up.  Each block is a basket of flowers appliqued to a neutral background. I bought the finishing kit and 6 blocks and need to buy the other 6 blocks to finish it.  I am excited to see how it comes out as this quilt is for me!!!

Linda Lou

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,679
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 6:19 PM

It gets difficult to sew sometimes but I find that I can lose myself in it and that makes me forget that I have any problems.  My hands and feet swell terrible at times.My neck hates me most of the time...but  I thank my lucky stars that I was able to retire from the AF so I don't have to work a 9-5 job anymore.  I don't think I could do it.  I sew for 10/15/30/hr and take breaks - I do not like to sit still so am up quite a bit at the sewing machine - but I can take breaks whenever I want to - the quilts call to me when I am not working on them and say - please come sew and finish us...lol

I am a blessed individual - The Lord watches over me and allows me just enough to do what I need to do.  He stopped me and told me to slow down so I could smell the roses...   I do have to plan in advance now - I don't do much without planning... but that is okay...

God bless,

Althea

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Linda Lou--

Your BOM sounds soooo pretty.  Will you share a picture when it's done?  I'm working on a Thimbleberries BOM right now.  It's a medallion style made from Civil War reproduction fabrics of traditional  blocks. I'm adding the medallion rings in a quilt-as-you-go method because the finished quilt will measure 60 x 72 and I don't like quilting something that large all at once.  So far it's working out well and I'm almost halfway to the finish.  The next pair of blocks should be arriving in a couple of weeks.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Hi Carol, I' from Portland, Ontario

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,800
Linda Lou replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 10:28 PM

Althea,

I am glad to hear that our Lord is watching over you.  I know He is in control of our lives and we just have to slow down, take the time to smell the roses, and listen for His voice.  It is good that you do as much as you do. 

Hey, my husband retired from the AF.  When did you retire and what did you do while serving our country? Could it be possible that our paths might have crossed somewhere?  Interesting thought.

I hear you.  My quilts call to me quite often.  I can go upstairs, turn on my music and shut the rest of the world and my aches and troubles completely out!!  Isn't it wonderful that we can do that for a little while each day.  Like I say, much better than a therapist.

God bless

Linda Lou

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,800
Linda Lou replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 10:32 PM

Hi Joyce,

Yes, I will definitely share pictures when I am done.  You do the same. 

I love medallion quilts.  I have never done anything with reproduction fabrics, but I think it would be fun.  I like Thimbleberries fabrics.

I did a quilt "Vacation with Friends" on show and tell and used the medallion feature.  I used an applique of the Elissa an 1877 tall ship.  It is one of a series of 12.  I am thinking one day I would love to do all 12.

Oops, it is late here.  I am gone

Linda Lou

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 11:29 PM

Althea.....

You mean there are other things still out on the web to do? I got here and umm lost track of all those this is way more addictive than anything I have ever had but my sewing/quilting.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 11:31 PM

Hello Helen....check out the how to get around in 10 steps and check out all that is available.....you will be here for hours its addictive and very informative too.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 11:34 PM

Linda...

I do believe I see alot of nice pics coming then. I love to look at things people have done and either hear the good bad or ugly of the whole thing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,679
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 15 2009 12:34 AM

Let's see - I retired in 2002 here in Enid Oklahoma at Vance AFB.  I was an Air Traffic Controller for 21 years.  I started here at Vance - went to Thule - then Shaw and then Yokota and back to here. 

I absolutely love quilting - I take on big projects and then wonder why on earth I decided to make a quilt with that many pieces... These last quilts that I have been making for my nieces and grand daughter were very easy - just squares - not one triangle at all.  The most fun has been doing the free motion quilting. 

I just started machine quilting this past year.  I was a hand quilter and then had a long arm quilter do my machine quilting... but with the economy and DH getting laid off from work I decided to teach myself how to machine quilt.  They say you need about 100 hours of practice to do any good... well I hate practicing so do my practicing on actual quilts... I have the even stitch down - it is just getting my machine to work correctly that drives me nuts - it will do fine and then I have to adjust the tension... but I am getting the hang of it...lol

Quilting taught me patience and perserverence.  I don't give up...

God bless,

Althea

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I bet your quilting is wonderful. That pesky PPP kind of gets in our way Althea. Your braver than I am, I don't think I could take a top I spent all that time piecing and practice quilting.  That's probably why it takes me so long to do anything, I just overthink it!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

BTW Althea, I'm an AF brat and my husband and I were in for 6 yrs.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Wed, Jul 15 2009 12:52 AM

Spud...ya know they over rate that thinking thing.....giggles

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

I try not think too much but just have fun and I always try for perfection but seldom achieve it..gig...Quilting is a stress relieve so I don't like to bring stress into it by worrying about everything...

quilts are made of love and love is not perfect

Ontario, Canada

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 290

HI

In my Guild we have a group called Quilting for Others, They always have quilts that need quilting, or kits of fabric to put together that are simple to do. These are good for practicing your quilting. The people that recieve them are so grateful to have anything. They don't care if the design didn't turn out just right.

Just an idea:)

Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use