Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 600
Michelle Posted: Sat, Jul 11 2009 12:52 PM

Hi there.  I am working on a wall hanging crazy quilt--about 30 X 30.  I am coming in on the home stretch with the top.  The crazy patches and fun stitiching are done.  I need help with ideas on how to "quilt" the layers.  I am thinking that I could tie it from the back side, but I'm worried about how it is hanging.  I want it to hang as square as possible, but it is heaveir is some areas than others because of the embellishments.  I don't want to block it because I'm worried about the thread/yarn dyes running. ANY advice would be much appreciated.

THANK YOU!!

Michelle

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Sun, Jul 12 2009 10:23 AM

I am sorry to say I am coming up blank on this today. I have to say you have asked the right group someone always has a good idea on how to fix things...and make em so nice when completed.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,610
Points 418,129
gini replied on Sun, Jul 12 2009 10:49 AM

michelle,

how  are the layers constructed.    did you  stitch through the batting as you embroidered?      do you just have the back to add or are you adding the batt and back together?     i've only seen tied crazy quilts.    it is hard to quilt the piece when the embellishing has been done.     i have done two things on crazy quilts.     o ne is tying, the second is tacking on a machine.    with  tacking, you can use  your fancy stitches to add more embellishing.    because the quilt weighs more in one area than another, it  will need to be heavily stabilized with either tying or tacking, and you will need to tie/stabilize under areas of embellishment to help stabilize and perhaps this  part could be done through  the batt but under the backing  to hide stitches .      you can quilt it, but the stitches will probably be more erratic and  you won't be able to heavily quilt it in the areas where it needs it.    you also lose the quilting (can't see it) , because of the embellishing, so often it is a waste of time to quilt.      however, a quilting a seed stitch might be nice.   hmmm, interesting project.     i would add a heavier backing if you could, to help stabilize it even more.   maybe, you could use a combo of  seed quilting and tiny ties?    teeny colored ties coming to the front would add to the embellishing?   hope this helped,  good luck, and i hope you post it so we can see it    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 190

I'm with Gini on the idea of some kind of backing to help stabilize it. If you're going to tie it--which it sounds is the answer to that question--you could use a fusible which would help it stay square all that mush more.

We want to see it when it's done!

~Jodie

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Michelle,

FYI: I have 2 crazy quilts made by my great-aunt. On the one that was totally complete, she even embroidered her initials and the date - 1907. At any rate, the quilt is tied with wool yarn. I'm thinking if you have a sleeve on the back, and the rod goes from one side of the quilt to the other, you won't have any problems with it hanging crooked. I could be wrong, but it seems to me it would be OK.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

what about those clips that have rings on the top and clips on the bottom?  they can clip to the quilt and then hang it with a rod?

Ontario, Canada

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 600
Michelle replied on Sat, Jul 18 2009 7:39 PM

Much thanks to everyone who gave me advise for finishing up my crazy quilt.  I am using a combination of techniques--so hopefully the fininshed wall hanging will be fine.  I'm using a little stiffer batting than usual and I framed it in a narrow fabric border to hold the shape.  I am quilting it by tying some of the embellishments and I've added a bead fringe along the bottom side which seems to be giving it a pretty even hang.

I'm not finished, but it's looking promising.

Thanks so much!!

Michelle

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Michelle, please post a picture so we can see it when you're finished!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,626
Points 140,453
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jul 18 2009 9:28 PM

Gini,  I never even considered using a single decorative stitch as a tack down for quilting! What a great idea, especially with a crazy quilt. You're amazing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,626
Points 140,453
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jul 18 2009 9:34 PM

Michelle, I can't wait to see your quilt. I have developed a new fascination for crazy quilts, because of the artistry of them, and because we have so many more resources available to us to embellish them than our precious predecessors did. The possibilities for doing something unique are incredible. Please post photos when you finish and not just an overall picture, please post some with closeups of the embellishments that your proud of.     

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 600
Michelle replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 1:35 PM

Thought since I had a couple of requests I would share my crazy quilt project with you all.  As always I start out with one vision and end up going off in another direction.  This had a bead fringe along the bottom, but I was worried about how the silk binding & backing would wear.  I could envision the weight of the beads shredding the silk over time so I removed the fringe.

Here's a snap shot of some of the detailed stitching.

Guess it's time to start another project.  I suspect my husband would say it is high time I hemmed his pants that have been sitting there for almost a month.

Michelle

• | Post Points: 125
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,541
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 1:44 PM

Michelle, it's lovely.  I love the colors.  I, too, have recently become interested in doing a crazy quilt.  I've been collecting fabrics from the thrift stores for a couple of months.  I have a man's suede vest, some silk ties, a woman's velveteen jacket and some laces that I've found.  Hunting for the fabrics is great fun.  Since I'm not much for hand work, I'm planning to embellish with the decorative stitches on my machine and use my embroidery machine. 

Thanks for sharing.  It really is beautiful

Southwest Florida

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Michelle, your quilt is beautiful! My mom made crazy quilt teddy bears. She, too, Sandy, collected fabrics via old clothes from the charity shops. She did beautiful crazy quilt stitches on them. If I remember between here and upstairs, I'll take a picture of one sometime.

Gillette, WY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

Michelle,

That is definitely a work of art.  Unusual, yet very pretty.  It looks like so much work.  Is it a wall hanging?  What size is it?  I think it should be in a show.  Thanks for sharing.

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,782

Michelle--

Absolutely GOR-GE-OUS!!  You've have done a marvelous job on this quilt.  Thank you so much for posting the photos

Kissimmee, FL

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use