Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 168
Points 2,490
Carol L replied on Fri, Jul 10 2009 7:59 AM

all these suggestions are great, even the reason to not label.  I will give you an excellent reason to put some kind of label on a wall quilt, at least.  I have several hanging on my walls and people want to know when they were made and from where the pattern came.  No clue.  What a shame.  I agree about the baby quilts lack of a label, even tho I am the habit now to put one on any quilt.  The pigma pens are great and usually dont wear off, but they must be heat set well.  I used to do counted cross stitch and all of them have a name and date on them, at least, even included in the design on the front.

Carol L

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

I use to do the same thing with my counted cross stitch. My mom said it was important to put at least my initials and the year which is what I did. I thought I would also know when I had made them, but 20 years later, I don't!

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 3,135
Peggy replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 6:36 PM

I have put my label into the binding.  I put my name and date in the same color as the binding.  It is on the quilt but it does not take away the design of the quilt.

from Minnesota

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,017
Thea replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 6:52 PM

I do different labels... sometimes I color a label and place it on the back.

sometimes I sew the name of the recipient and date on the front of the quilt when I free motion I sew names and other things into the design. 

I have to do the labels for most of the quilts that are here in the house... when i am keeping them for myself I forget to label - but I should. 

I would love to be able to know what my DH's Grandmother thought about the quilts she made for family members and have an accurate date of when she made them.

God bless,

Althea

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Peggy, do you do this by hand or do you have a machine you can program to sew it in?

Gillette, WY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 3,135
Peggy replied on Tue, Jul 21 2009 12:56 PM

I have done it both ways.  Mainly by machine if the binding is not to thick. 

To be honest my embroidery sucks so I say away from hand stitching when I can. 

from Minnesota

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 89
Points 1,840

I usually machine embroider a label, and personalize it to the quilt recipient.  If it's a baby quilt, I get the date of birth, name of the baby, and ask the parents if there is a special quote they'd like to add.  In smaller font, I'll embroider my name as the maker.  Then I just hand sew it to the back of the quilt.  Sometimes, when I think of it, I'll add the label to the backing before I layer and baste the quilt.  That way I can just topstitch the label and it'll also be quilted along with the quilt.  This is surely the easiest way, but I have a hard time remembering the label until after the quilt is finished! 

The most important thing is, regardless of how you do it, label your quilts!

Dawn

Dawn

• Filed under:
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Thu, Jul 23 2009 9:59 PM

great advice,  i need to fuss with my embroidery unit to see if i can whip up some cool labels.  gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

I always create a custom made embroidered label for my quilts.  I use the theme of the quilt to create a border or image on the label, include the date, name of the quilt, who it is for along with my name.

Debbie

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Thu, Aug 6 2009 1:39 AM

i Robin

I label my quilts made for family or friends with a picture and date it.

Anita

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

For those of you who use permanent ink or printed labels printed from a computer, how well do they stand up to washing? 

Also, I always put my label on the quilt back after I have quilted the quilt.  I add it before sewing the binding on and then hand stitch around the 2 sides not sewn into the binding. 

Debbie

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 3,135
Peggy replied on Thu, Aug 6 2009 10:02 AM

What is the program you bought?  I spent a few hours on line trying to find one. 

When I label my quilts I usually put the date and name into the binding if it is not too thick.  other than that I put the labels in the lower right hand corner on the back.  Then I add a saying relevant to the quilt. 

Peggy

from Minnesota

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,017
Thea replied on Thu, Aug 6 2009 10:10 AM

If I label, and my quilts are lucky to get one - but on the ones that leave my house I try to do that...

this is what I have done on some - when I am free motion quilting on the front I try to do it - I will put a little saying to whom the quilt is for - date I made it and made by me.

On my grand daughters alphabet quilt I actually incorporated it into blocks at the top of the quilt.

If I put a label on the back it is put where ever on the back - I never put in same place twice - I will use my fabric pens and design a little something and write in sharpie the name of the quilt - recipients name - my name - date...

I have made labels in my embroidery software too...

so guess I have done it all but most of my quilts do not have labels on them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I make mine on computer

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Thu, Dec 8 2011 9:19 AM

I always lable, using printer fabric and hand stitch the lable on the back.  For example

Quilts from Harjo Flats

presents

Trellis Roses

a quilt made for Anne Smith on the event of her birth

June 5, 2008

An original  By Flojo  Jones H

I then make a card to go along with the quilt that repeats the info on the lable on the front along with washing instructions on the back (Wash warm, do not bleach, do not hang to dry, do not iron, do not store in plastic, keep away from fire & flame. Not fire restant or flame retardant.  Inside the card I put the name of the person who requested the quilt for the person it was made for  for instance Comissioned for Baby Anne by her Mother, Jane Doe Smith for the event of her birth.  If  it from me alone I just write Merry Christmas or welcome to the world.  I also include something like Mrs. H's use of traditional and original designs, her attention to theme and fabric selection, plus her inate tendenct to follow nature's example of not producing any two of one thing exactly alike makes each of her quilts unique and origional.

Mrs H employes both hand and eletric needle (machine) stiching in her work.  Bindings are doubled and finished by hand for durability and neatness. 

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use