Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy Posted: Sun, Jul 5 2009 7:49 PM

Does anyone use the AccuCut systems or the new Accu Go die cutter?  I've seen them advertised and have been bouncing around the idea of purchasing one. I've read the literature on them and see demo's but just don't know if it would be worth the $'s since you can pretty much do it with mat, cutter or scissors. Any info or personal experiences would be helpful for me to decide.  Thanks All!

Tammy--NE.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,894
gini replied on Sun, Jul 5 2009 8:09 PM

i've played with one in the store.   you have to cut a small piece of fabric to go into the machine, about 14 inches square.   i thought,as long as i'm  cutting i might as well keep going.   they don't cut out many pieces at a time, though it takes several layers of fabric at a time.     each of the dies, if i remember correctly, are about 50 dollars.    you'll need a new die for each shape, mostly.    the machine itself is expensive.    i'm pretty sure i could cut a lot of the shapes out faster with a rotary cutter, although for some of the shapes  i would have to plan the cutting, which would take some time and some shapes  would have to be hand cut.   it's not for me, even if the price were lower.    but, if you could find a store with a demo to try, it's a pretty cool machine.   gini  

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I looked at one at the quilt store and for the price (just MHO) I don't think they would be worth it and could get really expensive.  I never bought a die cutter for scrapbooking for the same reason to limiting for the price...

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Sun, Jul 5 2009 11:23 PM

I seen pone of them and thought wow kewl. Then priced them and well I can't see where the price and limits are worth it. I like to have freedom to create not limits. I guess the price was the killer for even getting one to check it out even. I know we have gotten to where the rotary cutter is great so I guess I not want to go back to scissors but not ready to leave the rotary cutter and mat yet either. Just my thoughts on the subject.......

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,461
Points 361,952
Kris replied on Tue, Jul 7 2009 1:30 AM

Tammy,

I have the "GO" and I love it. The die it comes with (you get one with purchase) has 2 1/2 inch squares, half square triangles and a 4 1/2 inch square. I purchased a hexagon die (3 sizes) at first. I've just ordered a 2 1/2 inch strip cutter. 

I especially like the hexagon die because the only thing keeping me back from making a grandmother's flower garden was cutting the shapes. I can't stand english paper piecing and inklingo is time consuming as far as preparing the fabric goes. All the shapes are the same when I use the "GO".

The dies start at $25. and can be somewhat expensive I thought about it really hard and decided for me this would work. I'll get the shapes I cut most often so I won't feel like I wasted the money. I'm pleased so far but I agree it's not for everyone.

If I could justify it I would buy the studio cutter just because it has so many more options than the "GO" but, alas, it's too much for me.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

What about it makes it easier to make a rag quilt...does it cut those slits for you?

Cumberland Gap, TN

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 9:05 AM

Rhonda

I just couldn't justify the cost especially since you have to buy the dies separately and they are very expensive as well.  I purchased the QuiltCut 2 and really like it so far.  Easy to use and very accurate on sizes.  If I am just cutting for a block or two instead of a quilt I still use the rulers and mat like always.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 285
Jane replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 8:39 PM

I love mine.  The rag die made it SO much faster to make rag quilts.  The strip cut die really helps me cut accurate strips (and I do a lot of strip piecing, where I cut several long strips, sew them together, then subcut those units.  It's great for bargello strips too.  And borders and binding strips.  Much faster than scissors or rotary cutter.

For my square and triangle cutting dies, typically, I'll tear a long strip of fabric, then accordian fold it so I've got six layers or so covering the die blades.  There's almost no waste this way.

If you're a scrap quilter, you can put six teeny odd shaped chunks on top of the square cutting die, then run it under the rollers, and voila, perfect squares in far less time than you would have taken if you'd tried to cut and square them up with a ruler and rotary cutter.  I'm one of those scrap quilters that saves anything I can cut a 2½ inch square out of.  And I use my bits too, take a look:

http://forestjane.blogspot.com/2010/06/jewel-box-quilt-top-together.html

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

That is a beautiful quilt Jane! Maybe I should start saving all those scraps??? Hmmm...something to ponder for sure.

Cumberland Gap, TN

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use