Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 10:00 PM

OK I didn't know we had to decide on ONE type or kind of fabric. I have to say depends on my mood. Other day at the quilt store it was the balisk. But trip before that it was bright bold colors...well need I say more????

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 398

I too love the Civil war repro's. I also like the Robert Kauffman fusions fabrics. The colors are goegeous and I often use them when I need a solid fabric. I used to buy a lot of antique fabric and quilt blocks on ebay and I have some great pieces, but ebay has made too many changes to their policies that I don't anymore.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I don't think you have to chose just one Rhonnie, I didn't. 

I guess I'm going to have to go on a search for the Civil War reporductions fabric as several have mentioned that one.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Sun, Jul 5 2009 10:26 AM

The civil war fabrics seem to be hot item and I haven't seen any around my local shop or maybe I in wrong section but when I go for "therapy" this week I will look for it. I might have a new love never know.

Thanks I was scared I was only allowed one fabric and ummm I was like ummm oopsy.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Tue, Jul 7 2009 8:48 PM

Gini--  Is it hard to sew, the wool that is?  Is it what they call wool felt? I've never used it but it looks inviting.

Tammy--NE.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,044
gini replied on Tue, Jul 7 2009 11:34 PM

tammy,

it is wonderful.  it is a little slippery under the machine if it's the background.   i use it for applique.   with machine applique, i use a glue stick to adhere the pieces the the background, wool or flannel, and do a blanket stitch around the pieces.  but the best is hand applique,   it is like sewing through warm butter.  i do a blanket stitch around it.    you don't have to turn the seams under, because the wool doesn't unravel.

the wool fabric you buy in the store is way too expensive.   i go to thrifts on their half off sales.  you can get a wool coat or jacket for under $3.00s.  if you yard sale, you can get really cheap stuff.   to felt the wool,  i take the wool home and put it in the washer with detergent on hot water, lots of agitation is good.   then i dry it on hot, til it's super dry.  the wool shrinks, and the fibers interlock so the fabric won't ravel.    then i deconstruct the garment.  a wool coat will yield over a yard of fabric, and you get lots of cool buttons as an extra.    when i find a wool sweater in the right color, i will felt those,  too.

you can use anything: skirts shirts coats suits pants. dresses. but they must be 100% wool for the felting to work.

because i use woolen garments,   i have a huge variety, not only in colors but also in the textures of the fabrics. 

have you seen those little books with the little "penny rugs" they use for table mats?      way easy and fast. i can make one in a day..   because these pieces won't be washed or are washed by hand.   you don't even need a blanket stitch.  i'll go to the sewing room tomorrow and look up the name of the person i took a class from last year and give you the name of one of her books.   wish we lived closer together. i would love to share my wool quilting with you.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Wed, Jul 8 2009 6:50 AM

I have been looking at the 30's fabric I would like to tery a wedding ring quilt and I think that would look good in it Happy

Happy

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Wed, Jul 8 2009 9:29 AM

Happy,

I have to agree that would be gorgeous quilt. I love the old fabrics...they seem to add character to things no matter what it is. OK all fabrics can but I think older ones speak of history and experience....ok yes I talk to fabrics too

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Lynn

For great examples of Civil War reproduction fabric, Google Nancy Kirk fabric.  I think her website is www.nancy kirk.com, but I'm not certain.

Kissimmee, FL

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use